Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
bigblue

newbie need help with Ghost 15

Hi all..

I'm trying to find out how to do this correctly...My hard drive is on it's last legs, and I'm ready to swap it out with a new one..I now have the new hard drive, Ghost 15, and an external drive...

First, I need to know the difference between backing up the disk and copying the disk..Are they the same? If not, I'm assuming copying the old disk to the external disk, then switching out the old hard drive for the new one, and then somehow sending the copy back to the new hard drive is the procedure?

I've already backed up my 2 partitions , along with all files and folders to the external drive..

If I really needed to just copy the drives, does that mean I should erase the external drive and start over?

I need to be careful , as you can understand..This has to be done right and I've never worked with a backup program before..

Any help would be appreciated..

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

Re: newbie need help with Ghost 15

hi bigblue.

Both are poles apart,

the first thing you need to do is backup your computer but don't tick the box "files and folders" and tick the box to verify after copying.

The files should then be transferred to your external drive in a folder marked Backup 1 for example. These are the files that you need to "Clone" the existing drive.

You will then need to do a "Copy My Hard Drive" and if you read this post  Here  it will give you a step by step instruction if it is a simple arrangement like C; and D: and no hidden partitions.

You could post a pic of the disk management to see the drive configuration, use the little green tree to post it. Right click on My Computer icon and Manage then Disk management.

Try that and get back to us to make sure you understand what to do.

Deric

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Do you have a laptop or desktop? What ports are available to connect the new drive to? Is the new drive the same size or bigger than the original? What OS and how many partitions do you have? Look at Disk Management and maybe print a screenshot of it if necessary. Note which partition is active. If Windows 7, it is usually the SRP, not the one with the OS installed.

If it were me, I would make an image an then restore it, and avoid Drive Copy.

Boot from the SRD (Symantec Recovery Disc) or the disc that you installed Ghost from.

Run a Cold Backup of each partition on the drive you want to copy. If this is a Windows 7 install, be sure to backup the System Reserved Partition (SRP).

Shutdown.

Change drives.

Boot SRD and restore the partitions in same order they were originally in.

As you are restoring the partitions note as to which is the active one and make sure you check the box for that one.

You can also restore MBR, if you want.

THIS POST and THIS POST may help. Also have a look at THIS POST.

You may want to use the imageuploader.gif button and post a screenshot Disk Management.

Visitor
bigblue

[ Edited ]

Deric,

Thanks for the help..

I actually backed up my D partition first, and then my C partition..I then backed up all files and folders..So I guess I screwed this up from the start?...My C partition is the one my OS is on(win xp home edition), so maybe I should have backed up the C partition first? (or only the C partiton for now?)

I just wanted to make sure I had a backup of EVERYTHING in case the harddrive crashed.

Will post a screenshot ASAP..

Thanks again..

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

It doesn't matter what order you did the backup in as long as you have a v2i file for each partition. File and Folder Backup is OK if you want to be redundant. Most of us do not use it and use imaging instead. See THIS POST for pros and cons.

Anyway, since you only have two partitions, it should go easy. Restore the C: partition first and make it active, then restore the D: partition. If your new drive is larger, you will have to delete the phantom partition during the restore to get the option to fill unallocated space. Look at the posts I linked to. If you don't do this, you can do it later using DISKPART on the SRD.

Let us know how it goes.

One thing. Be sure not to have the old drive attached the first time you boot from the new drive. If you do, the drive letters will get messed up and the PC will not boot after the old drive is removed.

Visitor
bigblue

1329662357185.JPG

Visitor
bigblue

red,

you are unbelievable!!

You're all over this, and obviously know your stuff..

I need to understand what you mean by restoring the C partition..

Does that mean the C partition is no longer "live" on my original hard drive since I used the Ghost to send it to the external drive?

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

bigblue,

Can't see the pic yet it is waiting to be approved, but like Red said you only need C: but really you only have to backup the O/S  two single drives are not a problem.

We will know better when we see the pic.

Deric

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

bigblue wrote:

red,

you are unbelievable!!

You're all over this, and obviously know your stuff..

I need to understand what you mean by restoring the C partition..

Does that mean the C partition is no longer "live" on my original hard drive since I used the Ghost to send it to the external drive?

You make image files (.v2i) of your C and D partitions on an external drive. Shut down and pull the old drive out and install the new one. The new drive should be blank. Boot the Ghost SRD or install disc. When you recover the images to the new drive, restore the image of the C partition first (make sure you check set active, restore MBR), then the D partition.

When you are in the Recovery Environment Windows XP will not be live, Win PE (what the Ghost 15 Recovery Environment is based on) will be live.

Does that answer  your questions?

Visitor
bigblue

Stain and Red,

You are the best!!

Thanks so much for your help..

I'll let you know how it goes..