Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
gherna1

"autocheck program not found." message after drive copy, then PC reboots and reboots.

Hi! I recently installed Ghost 15 and as part of the installation, the program picked up all updates from Norton's website. I read that issues about copied drives not booting up were included in the latest updates.  ?? 

I have found no related messages to my error, so I deleted the new partition on the new drive and I am trying doing it again, following the suggestions on the help screen, like "Copy MBR" and "make this partition bootable" (which I used originally).

I am trying copying (cloning) a second time, and should the clone fail to start, I will try to rebuild the MBR from the install Win7x64 installation disk, as a similar post suggested.

I will post another message upon completion of this second attempt.

Thanks!

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: "autocheck program not found." message after drive copy, then PC reboots and reboots.

gherna1,

If you get the  "autocheck program not found" message again, don't try any corrections. Let us know.

Visitor
gherna1

Re: "autocheck program not found." message after drive copy, then PC reboots and reboots.

Hi!  This time the clone did boot, but to my amazement, upon login into Win7x64Pro, the first thing I saw was a message that read "Building your personal settings" or something similar, like when a first installation is taking place.  Unfortunately, I was summoned by my angry wife to come upstairs and have lunch, and had to leave.  However, I was confident all was Ok ... and left my PC alone...  NOT!

20 mins later when I came back, I had the following amazing message on the bottom right corner of my completely empy screen:  This is not a genuine copy of Windows....  and on a line above (or below?) it read "Build 7600".  There was no Start button nor anything that I could use to help myself be recognized by this "new" installation.  I tried logging off and login in as Administrator, but the only user known to the system was the same ID that offered me this bleak scenario.

It appears to me that Norton hasn't perfected cloning such a sophisticated OS, and more work needs to be done....

I suspect that this cloning operation has to be done on a "dormant" system drive, as it was in the past, for all the hidden bits and pieces Microsoft spreads in different areas of the system - to make counterfitting very difficult - to be picked up.

I will try the next best thing:  Boot from a Vista OS drive, and try to clone the dormant Win7 system drive.  I'll keep you posted in this same forum. 

Wish me luck!

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

gherna1 wrote:

"Building your personal settings" or something similar, l

gherna1,

I wouldn't be in a hurry to blame Ghost. Can you tell us how you are performing the Copy Drive? Are you partitioning the new HD before the Copy Drive procedure? Are you disconnecting the old HD before booting from the new HD? Do you have a SRP?

Operator error is the main cause of Copy Drive failure.

Visitor
gherna1

Hi, Brian! Thanks for your prompt reply.  I'm no newbie.  I've been toying with PCs since the RS-80 came out, even before the first IBM PC.  I'm also a 26-year seasoned IT professional, who deals with OSs, servers, their software, workstations, etc., on a daily basis.  This is how I did it:

I started recognizing the new HDD from my system BIOS.  

I have 3 different sata HDs, each with a different OS, and each is a master drive.  When I wish to boot from a specific OS, I make that drive my first HD in the BIOS, and all 3 boot perfectly.  That still works fine, even after having unsuccessfully cloned my Win7x64Pro system drive.

Next, in Win7x64Pro, I used the Disk Manager utility to partition the Samsung 2TB drive into 2 partitions, jusk like the original 1TB system drive, except that the partitions are now twice the size.

Next, I proceeded to clone the two (partitions) drives, separately.  The original drive D: (second partition) cloned well.  It's the system drive that refuses to work 100%.

For the system drive clone options I chose: "Copy MBR" and also "Make this drive bootable".  I did not chose bad sector inspection, etc. because both drives are fine.  The original HD has a non-mechanical defect, and the second one is brand new.

The reason I'm doing this is because my 1TB Hitachi drive is putting out messages both at boot time, and within Win7 about an imminent HD failure.  I need to remove this drive and send it to the manufacturer, but I also need my data/software on it, and I don't have time to install the OS and all of the apps and try to restore it to what it is now.  This is why I'm using Ghost.

Now, stay tuned until I come back after my third attempt, this time booting from Vista and cloning a "dormant" system drive (Win7x64Pro).  Should I be successful, that'll be my proof that more work needs to be done by Norton.

Thanks!

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

gherna1 wrote:
that'll be my proof that more work needs to be done by Norton.

gherna1,

It is operator error I'm afraid. You have broken both of the cloning rules...

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

(see "These examples illustrate two general rules for successful cloning of NT-family OS's:")

You must clone into unallocated space. Not into a partition with a drive letter.

You must disconnect the old HD before booting from the new HD. After a successful boot the old HD can be reconnected.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Windows-XP-Home-won-t-boot-after-copi-ying-to-n...

For Copy Drive options...

For Copy Drive if a SRP is present

For the SRP

Check source for file system errors
Check destination for file system errors
Set drive active (for booting OS)
DON'T SELECT Disable SmartSector copying
DON'T SELECT Ignore bad sectors during copy
Copy MBR
Destination partition type : Primary
Drive letter : None

For Win7

Resize drive to fill unallocated space (ONLY if you want to)

For Copy Drive if a SRP is not present

Resize drive to fill unallocated space (ONLY if you want to)
Set drive active (for booting OS)
Copy MBR

Visitor
gherna1

I don't recognize the SRP acronym.  Please explain.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

System Reserved Partition. I suspect you don't have one which is good. I don't either. It is a 100 MB Active, hidden partition which contains the booting files. If you install Win7 into an existing partition you don't get a SRP.

Visitor
gherna1

Regarding the first "broken " rule, the partition I tried cloning into did not have a letter assigned (on my first attempt).  I suspect that may have caused the "autocheck program not found" error.

As to "broken" rule two, disconnecting the old drive, leaving only the newly cloned drive connected, sounds like a good idea, but after having successfully booted from 3 separate drives, each with its own OS, I really think it only extends the time for the entire process.  Besides, I wanted to immediately copy the drive contents, wasting no time.  But, I may stand corrected.

Let's see what happens next.  Thanks!

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

gherna1 wrote:

"autocheck program not found" error.

This one is a mystery. I can produce it in WinXP by trying to boot a hidden NTFS (Type 17) WinXP partition. When I try to boot a hidden NTFS (Type 17) Win7 partition it stalls on the Starting Windows screen with the four glowing dots. It stalls indefinitely.