Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
cmcqueen

wmiprvse.exe high CPU usage

In the process manager of the task manager in windows XP the following process is running at high levels, causing the CPU to run at 100%.

wmiprvse.exe - NETWORK SERVICE

How do I fix this?  Is this a virus?

Tech83
Topics: 57
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 27

Re: wmiprvse.exe high CPU usage

Hi! Cmcqueen,

Welcome to the Norton Community!!  :)

The wmiprvse.exe is a legit component of Windows XP; having said that it is possible that it may have gotten infected.  What is your Norton product & did it identify a threat? Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed on your computer?  Do you have any other security software installed on your computer other than your Norton product? If so please let us know what it is?

Tech83  :)

Visitor
cmcqueen

I have Norton Security Suite via Comcast.  

I have run a full scan with updated definitions as of this morning.

I have downloaded windows defender and ran it.

I have downloaded and run Malwarebytes anti-malware and run it.

The wiiprvse.exe NETWORK - still runs high, causing the CPU to run at 100% with no programs open.

Tech83
Topics: 57
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 27

Hi! Cmcqueen,

Do you know how long this program runs? Did MalwareBytes' AntiMalware find anything? Have you tried running a scan with SuperAntiSpyware found at http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/ it will sometimes pickup on some things the others miss.

If MalwareBytes' did find something other than tracking cookies please let us know so that we can provide instructions on how to attach the log file here for evaluation.

I will contact some colleagues for their insight into this matter.

Tech83  :)