Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Block all network traffic option on the system tray

I would like to have the feature to block all network traffic just with two mouse clicks. I think this can be done by creating an additional menuitem in the system tray for this.

ps: the same for 360 as well ;)

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Symantec Employee
dnadir

Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thanks for the idea. What do other users think? Is this useful? Is it important to you?
Symantec Employee
athena

Status changed to: Additional Information Requested

We used to have a setting like this in a previous release but we removed to give space to other features that we thought are used more often by users. Can you please give us some examples on when you use this option and how often? Other members' votes will weigh on this too :-)
PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Re: Block all network traffic option on the system tray

I think this can be used when you want to scan the PC in cases you think you have virus(es), and you are connected eg. to a LAN network, and no way to disconnect, only to plug out the cable.

The same when you want to play games, watch videos, and you can not disconnect again.

And I read some messages here from users that they could stop some infections (rouge programs) if they could stop all network traffic just with a fast step.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Contributor
EzzO

I think option is good but for me it isn't so useful. For me easier to turn off internet.

Winslow

I want this feature too. It's easy to control the network traffic with ZoneAlarm and Comodo, but Norton requires you to go several layers deep to do this (assuming you can remember how to do it)

It's tempting to keep Comodo installed (but disabled) alongside Norton just to be able to quickly stop the net if one thinks that suspicious activity is going on.

Regular Contributor
szczypmen

I approve this idea. But my question is, how this feature works now? Is it disabling somehow driver for network card or what?

Mitka
Topics: 88
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 9

I miss the easy access of this feature from the taskbar.

Mitka

Super Keylogger Crusher
mattsegers

Could help isolate infected pc's in a network - with the amount of home networks now-a-days, very useful! Could also nearly be a "panic button"? i.e. Something thinks they are being hacked, or port-scanned, they simply right click on Norton and close all connections, and thats that.

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
- Mark Twain
Contributor
randysea

Once in a while I get paranoid about something happening on one of my machines and I want to shut down Internet access quickly while I test to see what may be running. I don't necessarily want to take down the whole network by pulling the router power supply, just temporarily protect the one machine. Getting to the ethernet cable on the back is not easy or quick. When I was using free ZoneAlarm + NAV, it was easy. The tray icon for ZA had a choice to block the Internet immediately. Now I'm using NIS 2010 and it seems that I have to open the program and go through several steps that are not all that self evident.