Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
eternity08
Accepted Solution

Possible improvment for Norton Toolbar

Hi everybody. I'm new here, and am not as commited to this as other people, so excuse me if I'm repeating what someone else is saying.

Okay then, I have no idea how tracking cookies work but if there was a simple way for the Norton Toolbar to have a simple button which deletes all tracking cookies (and only the tracking cookies) I would greatly enjoy that. Why? Because I am crazy paranoid about all of my passwords and such. Please give your ideas on the feasability of this addition.

Regular Contributor
Sithlord76

Re: Possible improvement for Norton Toolbar

Hi,

Yes in the Norton software scanning the system with quick scan will remove the tracking cookies. Also when the system is in idle it will scan and remove threats.

It would be nice if Norton would be able to block the tracking cookies so you would not have to scan and delete them.

Regular Contributor
ffwfire

Re: Possible improvment for Norton Toolbar

I asked them one time about a year ago if they can start blocking tracking cookies.  That way you wouldn't have to scan.

Contributor
eternity08

Expanding on my original idea, I think it would be great if you could actually look at what cookies you have and choose which ones you want. In other words, a drop-down option to the toolbar which opens a window and shows you which cookies you currently have; when were they created; by which URL; and whether or not they are tracking or not.

Regular Contributor
Sithlord76

Hi you all,

Yes I agree Norton should show the cookies that you have collected, their threat level and what location they were collected. But the only problem with this solution is the cookie if it is spyware or adware is already on your system at this point. So the best idea is to delete it on entry of the website.

Also I have notice that the site safety which is part of the toolbar is incorrect on may of the websites and threats and when I use https://submit.symantec.com/websubmit/retail.cgi to upload file or area where they make a mistake nothing is change.

The toolbar is good but much improvement is need

Contributor
eternity08

Good point.

How about instead of it automatically accepting cookies, it instead pops up a little window with the information on where it came from and such, then give you the choice as to whether you wish to keep this cookie or not. Unless there is a part of a cookies (tracking or otherwise) that will cause a bug i.e. the window always popping up/ Norton asking whether you wish to keep another cookie from the same website; thus leading to a buildup of cookie duplicates i.e. cookie.txt (1), cookie.txt (2), cookie.txt (3), and so on.

Regular Contributor
Sithlord76

Good point

I agree Make it so

Contributor
eternity08

I completely forget about this. (I can't believe myself)

Anyway, ffwfire, you said something about asking Norton about blocking tracking cookis, how did it go?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of good points that have been raised here.  However, everything that has been suggested about managing tracking cookies is already currently available in every browser's privacy options.  You can block third party cookies.  You can see all the cookies currently stored in the browser.  You can delete them.  You can specify which sites are allowed to set cookies and which are prohibited from doing so.  Cookies are really the browser's responsibility to handle.  It is one thing for a security program to remove tracking cookies, but there really isn't a good reason to have it get involved with the detail work that is already best handled by the browser - in fact, it could be confusing and lead to preferences being set in one program that contradict the preferences already set in another.

I would like to comment also on the suggestion to have a pop-up appear asking the user what to do with each cookie.  This also can already be done in the browser.  And while, in theory, being prompted about whether to accept a cookie or not may sound like a good idea, in practice it will actually make you crazy - every site these days usually tries to set multiple cookies.  Consequently, every time you  open a web page you will get a whole series of popups asking if you want this cookie or that cookie.  AAHHHH!!!  The better thing to do is to accept all but third party cookies, and have the browser delete them all when it closes.  Make exceptions for sites whose site-preference and login cookies you need to keep.

Also, tracking cookies are not a security risk.  They can only let the domain that set the cookie know when you visit other sites that also have content from that domain.  So, a tracking cookie doesn't follow you everywhere - it just lets ABC Advertising company know everytime you visit a site that has one of their ads.  At worst, there may be some privacy issues, but tracking cookies are not a threat to your security.  Hope that helps.

Contributor
eternity08

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried manually choosing which cookies to have and you were right! It nearly sent me crazy!

I geuss that I should just run quickscan before typing in any sensitive information. Too bad that there isn't any faster way to activate it; and yes, I do access it from the Quick Start Menu.