Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
checo
Topics: 102
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 6
Accepted Solution

Can I deleted this folder?

C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Local\Diagnostics

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,865
Solutions: 380

Re: Can I deleted this folder?

checo wrote:

C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Local\Diagnostics

Why do you want to delete it?

It is always a bad idea to micromanage Windows and try to get rid of things that are not needed ..... half the time I suspect even Microsoft doesn't know the answer to that!

If the contents are occupying a lot of drive space try running the DiskClean utitily for your hard drive that is on the Properties / General Tab for that drive and check all the boxes for logs etc.

Or run CCleaner if you prefer.

If it's empty why delete it since it doesn't occupy drive space.

Hugh
bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Hi checo

I fully agree with Hugh  with regard to removing what may seem to be unimportant folders .

There are many folder types within the Windows file system that are used as repositories for other types of file etc :Removing certain files that are not immediately recognisable as commonly accessed files , can be very important in regard to smooth operation of your system .The best approach for anyone who doesn't know the exact function or purpose of a file or folder ...is to leave it be !

For the minimal amount of disk space that you may recover by deleting such files ...I would suggest that you do not remove any file that could have repercussions on your system as a result of misguided removal . In the days of small capacity hard drives , hard drive housekeeping was essential to keep a sufficient amount of disk space free for efficient operation.

Nowadays , we have far higher capacity drives , and the benefit gained by removing what may seem "safe to remove " data ...is far outweighed by the risk of removing something that may be needed .There are mixed thoughts on the subject , but I've seen a good few problems caused by overzealous clearouts :smileywink:

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

checo

both of yours had this folder on your computers , please check?

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Hi checo

you asked ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

both of yours had this folder on your computers , please check?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep' it's right there in exactly the same location on my machines  (except mine is named "Elevated Diagnostics " ) ...it's not taking up any space  , and it's staying right where it is  :smileywink:

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,865
Solutions: 380

[ Edited ]

I have Diagnostics which is empty and Elevated Diagnostics which is not ...

You haven't answered my question -- why do you want to delete it?

Hugh
checo

I know now where's come from this folder , is because I reinstall the settings default from windows media player 12. 

Thanks all.