Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Norton Fighter
Krusty13
Accepted Solution

Free Version Of Malwarebytes

Hello All,

I have read many posts suggesting to download Malwarebytes Free Version as a second on demand scanner. When I visit malwarebytes.org and click on download, I get redirected to cnet.com. Not being experienced with PC's I am reluctant to download from a redirected site. Should I worry?

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

SUBASH_PRABU
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 90

Re: Free Version Of Malwarebytes

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you are having your Norton up and running in your computer there is no need to go for a secondary security software.

And CNET is a genuine website to download a free software. But always run the files with caution, just pay attention for your nortons notifications. If Norton asks you to remove some files once the download is completed from that website please do so.Because some files from cnet also contains some malicious files or adwares attached to them.

HAVING MORE THAN ONE SECURITY SOFTWARE MIGHT END UP IN A SECURITY CONFLICT

Ie: IF TWO SECURITY PROGRAMS FINDS A SINGLE INFECTED FILE BOTH WILL FIGHT TO REMOVE THAT FILE WHICH MAY LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNPROTECTED. Nobody want that to happen....:)

Handle with care:smileywink:

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Thanks subash88,

My understanding is that the Free Version Of Malwarebytes is only an on demand scanner and has no real time protection.

The malicious files and adware are a real concern to me. :smileysad: Thanks for the warning.

SUBASH_PRABU
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 90

Hi,

Then be cautious to disable any other real-time protection. And if  it is an On-demand scanner then do not run scan both in norton and in Malwarebytes at the same instant....:)

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Malwarebytes does get other sites to handle the downloads of its product.  I use CNET frequently.  Care needs to be taken to make sure you get the correct download as there is getting to be a lot of advertising.

Another place to download it is here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Both are safe places to acquire it. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Hi delphinium,

Thanks for your advice.

I decided to download from CNET.  Norton Insight said it was a safe download, but when asked Do you want to run, save or cancel, I chose run.  Immediately my Norton stopped working.  Aargh!  Probably something I needn't have panicked about but in my paranoia, and not wanting to deal with possible malware files, I completely reset my laptop back to factory specs. 

After hours of downloading Windows Updates, Bringing Norton up to date etc, etc,  It is all running well again now.  Probably won't try again for a while unless Norton finds something that it can't remove.

At least I know there is very little chance I can have an infection now as Norton was the first thing I put back and updated on my computer.

I've said before, 'We live and learn'.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,003
Kudos: 2,737
Solutions: 368

Personally I always SAVE when I have the choice. I think it's better to keep the two operations of downloading and installing quite apart.

And when installing on VISTA or Windows 7 I usually start the installation by right mouse clicking on the file that starts it up -- usually setup.exe or the whole downloaded file and selecting Run as Administrator since I find it more reliable.

Hugh
Norton Fighter
Krusty13

[ Edited ]

Thanks Hugh,

More great advice.  I definitely will take that advice next time I download.  I didn't realize if I was logged on as an administrator that I would benefit from Run as administrator.  Perhaps I should look at doing a computer course.

Thanks to all who replied. You have all helped.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,003
Kudos: 2,737
Solutions: 368

I don't know that it does make a difference but Windows has it's own concept of Administrator which does not always seem to match up with what we like to think of as the real world ....

And if you are a user with less than elevated privileges my understanding is that it acts only on what you select.

Hugh
Norton Fighter
Krusty13

[ Edited ]

Update: I got bold, so I downloaded malwarebytes free version From the link delphinium gave me, and took huwyngr's advice and saved the program, right clicked Run As Administrator, and all went well. ....still learning!  :smileywink: