Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
DrJ
Visitor
DrJ

How to automatically delete cookies in IE 8?

[ Edited ]

This is the closest I could find to a place to ask a question. My question is simple: Is there any way to delete, automatically, all cookies from the cookie folder in IE8 as they are placed there ? I do this manualy but it gets wearysome and is very time consuming. I was somewhat shocked to discover the volume of them. They seem to swarm like flies to roadkill. I'm guessing this is the wrong place to ask but I could find no other. Please excuse me if this all wrong.

<<Edit: Subject edited to reflect the issue for the moved post>>

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

Re: How to automatically delete cookies in IE 8?

Why bother?

Some of them enable you to log into regular sites, like here, automatically when you arrive .....

Hugh
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Hi DrJ,

As Huwyngr says, some cookies are necessary.  What you want to prevent are tracking cookies.  To delete cookies that are already set follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835/EN-US/

Then, to keep tracking cookies from persisting follow the suggestions in this post, including installing SpywareBlaster in order to populate the per-site list in IE with sites to permanently block:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Cannot-delete-cookie-quot-hp-administrator-content-yieldma...

Regular Contributor
artfreak

I assume you mean other then setting tools to delete them on closing ie.

You can simply run ccleaner daily.

DrJ
Visitor
DrJ

First of all, are cookies stored anywhere other than - C:\Users\.....\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low ? After installing SpyWareBlaster and filling the blocked sites box in Internet Options, I could watch that folder fill up with cookies that were supposed to be being blocked. I have since found WinPatrol that has a cookie control option that deletes cookies every 60 sec. from that folder. Hence my question, if WinPatrol is deleting every cookie in that folder, why do various sites still log me in automatically ? Also, in Internet Options there is a temporary file chock full of "Favicon.ico" something or others. What are they ? If you leave cookies alone until you close IE, while you surf around the web, have you not just  been tracked everywhere you went ? Would it not then be superfluous to run CCleaner ? Assuming one does not wish to be tracked around the internet. I have another program called AdMuncher that seems to return my browser from a billboard back to a browser. It also seems to stop something called a "web bug". Any idea what that is ? I can not thank you enough for any time you spend answering my questions. But thanx anyway.

Visitor
NandR

Why dont you use ATF Cleaner by Atribune?
Atribune.org

It removed cookies, temp files , cleans your java cache and is less intrusive than Registry Cleaners.

It works on FF , IE, and Opera

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Hi DrJ,

Make sure you enable all protection in SpywareBlaster.  It will automatically populate the per-site list in IE with domains to block.  Something is not working correctly if cookies are still being set by blocked sites.

Favicons are the small icons that appear in your browser address bar and bookmarks for sites you visit (like the Norton checkmark logo).  Keep 'em.

Tracking cookies do not follow you wherever you go on the internet.  They just let the domain that set the particular cookie know when you visit sites that host ads from that domain.  So if you go to Site A and Site R and both sites have ads placed there by BigAdCo, BigAdCo will know you visited both sites.  BigAdCo will have no idea what unaffiliated sites you visited in between, so your browsing to Sites B through Q cannot be not tracked.

If you set your browser to block third-party cookies and you have the SpywareBlaster block list in place, you should not see many tracking cookies at all.

An explanation of web bugs can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_bug

tazzjimmy

I think private browsing Mode in Internet Exporer 8 can help regarding this, Private Browsing mode in IE8 prevents the Internet Explorer from recording and storing data about your browsing session during the session is active. and it ll also delete your cookies and history automatically when closing it.. 

[ Edited ]

i think it can be done by self not automatically ... i always do manually .

thanks

richards132

Same here, I'd do it automatically. But I don't really use IE that much anymore. I'd prefer to use Chrome now. But I think IE is still the number 1 browser right now.

Cash Advance Company