Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Calls

IE9 and Flash Player 11.2

So I read that Flash Player 11.2 gets blocked by IE9 die to the Active X filtering. They say the solution is to turn off the Active X filtering.
But doesn't that cause great security issues? And isn't part of the IE9 being better than IE8 the active X filtering?
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,798
Solutions: 778

Re: IE9 and Flash Player 11.2

Hi Calls,

Where did you see this?

Regular Contributor
Calls

Hi SoJ
It is in the adobe forums

forums. adobe.com

something regarding flash player active X and IE9
dickevans

Calls,

Can't confirm that one. Just installed 11.2 and returned here using IE9. May not be a universal problem.

I'll have to watch things and see

Thanks for the heads up

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

Hi Calls,

I found the following post on the Adobe forums which gives a couple of ways of allowing Flash in IE9.  You can either disable the ActiveX filtering globally, or better, on a site-by-site basis.  Selectively allowing ActiveX for specific sites that you visit where you need to view Flash content is the way I would do it.  That is exactly the way the NoScript add-on in Firefox works - all active content is blocked except on sites that you permit.  Let's face it, there are some sites that you need to trust if you want to use them, and that means allowing JavaScript, Flash, ActiveX or other content.  As long as there is a way to allow these things selectively so that they cannot run on sites that you have not allowed, that is as safe as you can be without completely abandoning the best features of the internet.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

I would argue that you are much safer using IE9 with ActiveX filtering disabled only for specified trusted sites, than you probably are currently if you are using IE8 with the Internet Zone security setting at the medium-high default.  See the following for a discussion of how ActiveX control has evolved from IE6 through IE9:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/04/02/activex-control-restrictions-in-ie.aspx

Super Contributor
Topopurim47

i have winxp,sp3,ie8,nis2012.   tues updated flash to 11.2-wed upgraded nis to 2012.    now when i check my email(att/yahoo) i get a pop up stating     your browser is blocking flash-you must have flash 9.0 or higher installed and unblocked to run open mail applications. you can download ...............               is anyone else seeing this?   i checked adobe forums but see no mention of it.   i close the pop up and everything works.   

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,825
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

SoJ,

I'm plagued by the inability to run videos especially on CNN, although if I go say to the BBC UK they run OK.

Yesterday I Removed Adobe Flash Player and a second Adobe plugin even although I had just updated Adobe Player to the current one and then reinstalled the latest Flash Player.

Active X is unchecked in Safety and I've made sure that CNN is listed in the Gobal Settings of the Flash Player but nothing plays.

I spotted a debug utility on the Adobe Flash site and so I downloaded it and it reports the following:

Error: Error #2098: The loading object is not a .swf file, you cannot request SWF properties from it.  at flash.display::LoaderInfo/get actionScriptVersion()  at tv.freewheel.ad.loader::AdManagerLoader/completeHandler()

I also Removed Adobe AIR in case, but still no success in loading and still the same error message from the debugger.

The debugger gives two choices:-  Dismiss All / Continue and whichever I use I get the same result -- A big black rectangle with a Stop button || at the bottom but no start and no progress bar ... but the image link to the video says Now Playing ....

Any thoughts anyone?

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit SP1 fully updated since and IE9

BINGO ---

I did a Google search on that error message and while none came up directly I did get a link to a YouTube page that suggested that if updating did not solve it to try disabling popup blocking.

I tried that since I had it turned on in the Google Toolbar that I use and that did not solve it so I had a look in Manage Addons and it reminded me that I had IE7Pro AdBlocking turned on so I disabled that and the videos played immediately ....

Although that IE7Pro is aged-named it has been updated for IE8 but it does seem a little uncertain since the last update was in June 2010 ... pity because it worked well. I'll have to go back to something else since some of the websites I'm active on a pest with advertising .... I may first check the adjustability of the settings for CNN.

I've now IE7Pro whitelisted http://www.cnn.com/video/ and that still permits the videos to play but should block other advertising on CNN ...

Hugh
Phishing Phryer
ALF60

[ Edited ]

Hi Topopurim47 I have the same problem with my at&t yahoo email that you have except I have it happin with firefox 11.0 and I do the same thing that you do  close the pop up and everything works . If I use IE9 I do not get the popup. Be aware that you have to have the right adobe flash player for IE9  as there is two verisions  one for Internet explorer(active x) and one for a plugin for firefox and opera etc.   ALF60

SendOfJive

Hi Hugh,

Glad you figured out what was blocking CNN.  It is absolutely maddening when you find one site that, for some reason, will not work.  I've also had sites that worked just fine for months, and then suddenly, Flash no longer plays on them.  I use NoScript in Firefox, so I also have to go through everything and make sure that all the third-party content on a site is allowed - and even then, Flash usually still doesn't work.  And, of course, being security-conscious, I have my browsers and add-ons pretty well locked down, which adds to the complexity of figuring out what is amiss.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,825
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

As you say ... let's hope it lasts ... and helps someone else!

Hugh