Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

IP Address keeps disappearing and reappearing.

Hello. This morning, I noticed on Norton's security history there are many entries of the IP address disappearing from our adapter, then reappearing and being protected. I've seen this before, but never this frequent. Is this a serious problem? What could I do to fix it? Thanks. 

dickevans

Re: IP Address keeps disappearing and reappearing.

Hi,

Are these addresses of devices that may be getting turned off then on? Or perhaps mobile and coming into and then out of range?

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

I don't really know. Here are the logs in the history. Hope it helps.

Category: Firewall - Network and Connections
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category
7/10/2013 8:23:40 AM,Info,"IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter and is no longer being protected (IP address: 2001::c765:1c14:24ff:1b2f:3f57:fed0).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections
IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter and is no longer being protected (IP address: 2001::c765:1c14:24ff:1b2f:3f57:fed0).

Category: Firewall - Network and Connections
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category
7/10/2013 8:27:02 AM,Info,"IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter and is no longer being protected (IP address: fe80::c7d:fe3:3f57:fed0%10).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections
IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter and is no longer being protected (IP address: fe80::c7d:fe3:3f57:fed0%10).

And then a minute or so later, they return and are being protected.

dickevans

Hi,

This is what I found on the Microsoft site

Teredo is a new technolgoy which is used to send IPV4 encapsulated IPV6 packets across the network. If you don't connect to the network with IPV6 protocol, you can ignore the warning. Otherwise this can happens with Security software..

Check the following links, they may help

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/3f6dc0e6-acc5-47db-8c0f-ce536...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/w7itprohardware/thread/AFCD5EFD-5D12-4C36-BE8F-9612...

Dick
Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

Well, I tried to disable the adapter, then enable it, but it's still doing it. Is there anything else I could do?

I really don't understand IPV4 or IPV6. Are they important? Is it necessary to keep that enabled?

Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

Well, I had disabled the Teredo adapter a little while ago and the problem went away. Do you think it's ok to leave it like that? Is that dangerous? Thanks!

Regular Contributor
Hammer_Bro

Hello caleb89sw,

I mean, I've seen this "disappearing act" as well in the Norton security logs, however, I always just chalked it up to my system being in a powered-down state.  I have noticed this on systems that are wired to the router as well as on a laptop that picks up the signal from the air.  Just out of curiosity, do you have Verizon FiOS?  Overall, I don't think this is cause for concern. 

Best,

H.B.   

Regular Contributor
caleb89sw

Just out of curiosity, do you have Verizon FiOS?

I suppose so. I don't know for sure, but our phone provider is through Verizon. So I assume aour Internet connection is too.

The thing is, the disappearing IPs happened constantly. Even when the computer wasn't in a low powered state. It hasn't done it since I disabled the adapter, though. Is that all right if its disabled?   

dickevans

caleb89sw wrote:

Well, I had disabled the Teredo adapter a little while ago and the problem went away. Do you think it's ok to leave it like that? Is that dangerous? Thanks!

Hi,
Not at all. If you do need it and it's been disabled you'll get an error message and know that it's time to turn it back on. You will also know which program uses it :smileywink:

Dick
Regular Contributor
Hammer_Bro

[ Edited ]

Hello again caleb89sw,

I ask only because I am running FiOS, and desired to see if there might be any commonality in that regard.  Just because you have phone with Verizon, does not necessarily mean you have the other two services with them.  At one point, we had Verizon controlling the phone, Optimum controlling TV, and MSN dial-up for Internet access.  Kind of like a region in the Middle East fractured by multiple interest groups.  Suffice it to say, pro-Verizon forces eventually won the day.  Ahem, putting that walk down memory lane aside, I would imagine that if you disable your adapter you will lose Internet connectivity?  In which case, I’m not sure of the advantageousness of doing that just to prevent that message from appearing.  Attached, you will find a snapshot of how my logs look pertaining to this issue spanning from 7/12 - 7/14.  With your adapter enabled, can you tell me if it looks somewhat similar?  If so, I’m pretty confident that my system is running clean, therefore, you are probably alright as well. 

Regards,

H.B.