Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
wha

Java question

Does anyone know how to completely get rid of Java?  I am not very technical so a step by step explanation would be helpful, or alternatively, a link to a location that might help. Background: Although I uninstalled Java (via the add/remove programs) on my husband's computer many  weeks ago, Firefox (which I downloaded last week because of the internet explorer problem) detected Java and warned that it needed to be updated and that Firefox blocked it.  So I downloaded the latest Java update and promptly deleted it thinking I could get rid of all the Java files that way.   But the Firefox warning was still there and a search of "Java" in the Windows search tool found a lot of Java files.  So I used a program called Java Ra to try to get rid of any remaining Java stuff and it did delete some Java files, but the Firefox warning remains, and the search tool also finds Java files. Among the files is  a Java Deployment Toolkit plug in which I have disabled in Firefox and Internet Explorer.  However, I read on the Oracle website page that explains the Java Deployment Toolkit that even if the plugin is disabled, it still works. I would like to eliminate anything Java. By the way, Norton indicated it eliminated a Trojan. Pidief on my husband's computer on 9/9/2012.  I ran Norton Power Eraser and Malwarebytes and they are both clean and I checked all his programs and they are up to date.  Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.  
Regular Contributor
wha

Re: Java question

Just noticed the same Firefox message on my computer which NEVER had Java installed.  So is there an issue with Firefox detecting Java incorrectly?  Sorry, I am very new to Firefox.  My computer does not have the Java Deployment Toolkit plugin that my husband's has.  And search tool doesn't find any Java files.  So I don't understand why Firefox says I have an outdated Java and need to update it.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,797
Solutions: 778

Hi wha,

Check again in Windows Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) and make sure that there are no Java programs currently installed.  With Java, it is possible to still have older versions remaining after removing more recent versions, although JavaRa should have taken care of everything.  Also, can you post a screenshot of the alert you are getting in Firefox?  If you have completely uninstalled Java, you should not be getting these.

Regular Contributor
wha

Below is a screen shot of the Firefox warning I get on my computer which NEVER had Java installed on it.  My husband's computer has the same warning, but his computer did have many versions of Java on it.  I ran both versions of the JavaRa program on my husband's computer and they both eliminated Java files, but not all of them. His computer still has the Java Deployment toolkit as well as a Sun folder with Java things in it.  The Add/Remove program shows no Java programs.

I have done a bit of research online and evidently Java files being left behind after an uninstall is an issue.  And JavaRa doesn't delete everything, notably the plugin I mentioned above. 

There are things posted on the internet about how to remove Java files after doing the steps I did, BUT they are highly technical and involve fooling with the registry big time which is way out of my league and I also don't know which advice is good advice.  So I am reluctant to do anything more.  If anyone can point me to a trusted, legitimate site with step by step instructions for a novice, I am willing to try.  But I don't want to mess up my husband's computer.

It just makes me very nervous to have such an unsecure program on any of our computers, and I am perplexed by the Firefox warning on my computer which never had Java installed.

Capture.PNG

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,797
Solutions: 778

The Java plug-in seems to be left behind after Java is uninstalled.  This would not be a security issue, as Java is uninstalled, and, for good measure, the plugin is disabled.  My Firefox is still showing the Deployment Toolkit present and disabled, even though I removed Java some time back.  I am not getting any update notifications, though.  Do you still show the Java Console in your add-ons list?

Regular Contributor
wha

No, there is no Java console in the add-on list.  I think that the Firefox warning must be something incorrect with Firefox, especially since my computer has the warning and my computer never had Java on it.

As to my husband's computer, I decided to delete most of the Java folders left over; they were mostly empty or had something that I decided to just trash.  So far, the computer still works:smileyhappy:

There is still a java_log.txt file that still seems to be logging something. I surely don't understand what it is. And there was a javacpl.cpl in C:\i386 which said it was a control panel extension. When I clicked on it, it said the registry item couldn't be located so I just trashed it. And there is a Java_01.MID in C:\MSOCache|All Users\long string of numbers. I left that;don't know what it is. And of course the deployJava1.dll and npdeployJava1.dll which I think is the Toolkit plugin though not sure. I still am uncomfortable having the plug-in on my husband's computer based on what I have read. But without an easy solution to delete it, I guess I am stuck.