Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Calls
Accepted Solution

Last Java New Question- deployJava1.dll

[ Edited ]

ok I had uninstalled Java 6 Update 23 just to check something

So at this point I do not have Java on my system

However, when I go to

C:\Windows\System 32

I still see this item

deployJava1.dll

Now I do not have Java installed as verified by the Java text page

There is no java in C:\Programs

There is no java in programs when I check via the Start>Control Panel>Programs> Programs and Features

I googled deployJava1.dll and some of the things that show up in google, give the impression that it is malware and possibly a rootkit

But when I check the file I have it is:

Signed by Sun Microsystems

Shows  version as 6.0.230.5

Has a created date of 4/17/10 and a modified date that coinicides when I DID install Java 6 Update 23

so

1. Is this a malicous file?

2. why this file is still on my machine, even after I uninstalled java 6 Update 23?

(is it one of thos eleft over pieces/quirks things?)

****I will not be deleting it unless instructed by trusted sources to do so

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Last Java New Question- deployJava1.dll

1. No it is not malicious.

2.  Yes it is a leftover.  You might as well leave it alone as there will likely be lots of leftovers in places where even you would not think to look, or recognize if you did find it.  Leftovers do not make the machine unstable, and removing software does not return it to the state it would be in if the software had never been installed.

3.  Why spend a week trying to install software, finally succeed, and then strip it out, and go back to removing files??  That is what caused the problem in the first place. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,162
Solutions: 379

Calls,

Why oh why did you do this again after being advised that those files are not a problem?

I have to say, one of these days you are going to seriously damage your computer if you keep doing this.

You are so worried about your computer being compromised even when there is no reason to be but one day you will have a completely different problem to worry about because inevitably one day you will remove the wrong thing and you will no longer be able to even boot up your system.

Try your best to resist this temptation.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Calls:

You need to use your computer instead of worrying about it.  I highly recommend this Online Crossword puzzle, instead of ripping files out of your computer.

http://www.boatloadpuzzles.com/playcrossword

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,846
Solutions: 779

delphinium wrote:

You need to use your computer instead of worrying about it.  I highly recommend this Online Crossword puzzle, instead of ripping files out of your computer.

Oo,oo!  Or check out these really cool interactive optical illusions!......

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

Keylogger Crusher
reactivate

Calls wrote:

when I go to

C:\Windows\System 32

I still see this item

deployJava1.dll

I believe this file is related to the Java update checker, basically it just checks to see what version of Java you have installed, and I can tell you that this file will always be left over after uninstalling java. I fairly recently uninstalled Java myself and was left with the same file, so don't worry, and practice safe surfing that way you won't be paranoid about the files installed on your computer.

Do not try googling again, believe me you will just get paranoid when there is no need to be.