Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
randy

Logitech SetPoint Software and eReg.exe

Hi,

I installed Logitech's SetPoint software so I could program some keys.  The software didn't work as expected and I had a couple other problems with it on my home computer (Win 7 Home Premium - 64).  I successfully removed SetPoint a couple weeks ago or so.   Yesterday a Logitech survey popped up when I logged in to my computer.  I thought it was odd and checked that I had actually removed setpoint and to make sure it wasn't some crazy spoof.  I did a little research and found the program is called eReg.exe which is a registration nagger.

Have any of you dealt with this program and know how to remove it?  It doesn't start up via the start folder, task scheduler, or a process I could connect to it.  I can't find it in custom start up options.  I really don't like the idea of some program I don't want installed on my system.  I want to be careful how I remove it so I don't bork any registry entries.  Any information or advice (other than don't install Setpoint ever again - I learned that lesson) would be appreciated.

I've emailed Logitech support but it's not really going anywhere.

HP Pavilion e9290 - Win 7 Home Premium 64 - N360 Premium v5
Tech83
Topics: 57
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 27

Re: Logitech SetPoint Software and eReg.exe

Hi! Randy,

I contacted Logitech on your behalf and was told that you can tell the eReg.exe program (which is their product registration program) to print the form to be mailed in.  This should terminate the eReg.exe program and delete it from your system.  Let me know if it does not.

Regular Contributor
randy

Tech83, thank you for taking the trouble to contact their support division.

I found out a couple different things with eReg.  It handles both registration and a marketing feedback survey that redirects the user to a third party survey website.

I had initially registered the product (keyboard + mouse combo).  I later removed the SetPoint software because it performed and interacted poorly with a few apps that had their own specialty keybindings.  It didn't really provide me extra functionality other than the option to encrypt the keyboards wireless communication with the dongle.

I also filled out the survey after I posted this to see what would happen.  The eReg.exe and associated *.ini files stayed on the system.  

Finally, I executed the eReg.exe again, manually, to see what would happen.  It alternates between the reg form and the survey form with every execution.  I tried various options, but none of them caused the program to remove or uninstall itself, including choosing the print form option for registration.  In the end I manually removed every file and folder path from the system and used CCleaner to help me remove the registry entries associated with it.  So far I have had any system problems that I'm aware of.

This was a really humbling lesson in being careful what software I install, even from a reputable company.  To answer your question: No, their suggestion to print the form didn't cause the software to remove itself.

HP Pavilion e9290 - Win 7 Home Premium 64 - N360 Premium v5
Super Spam Squasher
mo

Interesting I have heard logitech installs a lot of stuff and is very hard to remove...I use their web cam but have no problem...that I am aware of.

Cheers Mo
XP home,SP3
NIS2012
Tech83
Topics: 57
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 27

Hi! Randy,

Sorry, about the delay in responce.  I have notified Logitech's quality control division about this issue and they said a fix is in the works; it is just taking awhile due to all the OSes it must cover.  Hope to see a fix real soon.  :)