Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Reply
Regular Visitor
mshort
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

PC tools registry mechanic

Hi Folks,

 

I wasn't sure where to post this question so  hopefully here is ok.  I was just using my computer when this application popped up and started scanning called "PC Tools Registry Mechanic"  is this a virus?  if so why didn't norton 360 detect it?

dickevans
Posts: 11,774
Registered: ‎04-08-2008

Re: PC tools registry mechanic


mshort wrote:

Hi Folks,

 

I wasn't sure where to post this question so  hopefully here is ok.  I was just using my computer when this application popped up and started scanning called "PC Tools Registry Mechanic"  is this a virus?  if so why didn't norton 360 detect it?


Hi,

This is a fine place to ask your question. The program is real and you can find out more about it here:

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/index/d/8/?gclid=CJLI9vThwa0CFUmR7Qod5U9uAA

To have gotten on your computer it was downloaded and installed on purpose or came attached to something else. I did not see any removal tools listed on their site so that a control panel uninstall and reboot should clear it out - if that is your choice.

We'll be here when you need us.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Visitor
mshort
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: PC tools registry mechanic

Thanks for the response.  I've uninstalled it via the windows control panel, run a full scan with norton and everything seems ok.  


Just one other question.  Some friends have suggested that i get a program called Malware bytes.  is this something I need even though I have Norton 360 or does Norton cover that as well?

dickevans
Posts: 11,774
Registered: ‎04-08-2008

Re: PC tools registry mechanic


mshort wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I've uninstalled it via the windows control panel, run a full scan with norton and everything seems ok.  


Just one other question.  Some friends have suggested that i get a program called Malware bytes.  is this something I need even though I have Norton 360 or does Norton cover that as well?


Hi,

Malwarebytes free scanner found here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Is Norton compatible. I keep a copy on my desktop and use if for a second opinion whenever I feel the need. No one security program will catch all of the 'nasties' all of the time. Keeping Norton current and running MBAM from time to time will improve your level of protection. Be sure to update it each time before you run it - just like you run live update befreo beginning a scan :smileywink:

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
SendOfJive
Posts: 10,594
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760
Registered: ‎02-07-2009

Re: PC tools registry mechanic

Hi mshort,

 

PC Tools Registry Mechanic is frequently bundled as piggyback software with other programs, such as Adobe Shockwave.  You generally need to deselect the additional program when it is offered at some point during the download or installation to avoid adding it to your machine.  PC Tools is not malware.  The company is owned by Symantec.  Please always read every screen when downloading and installing new software to avoid also installing something that you may not want.

Atomic_Blast
Posts: 1,135
Kudos: 218
Solutions: 39
Registered: ‎09-05-2011

Re: PC tools registry mechanic

Hi SendOfJive:

 


You wrote:

 

..."PC Tools is not malware.  The company is owned by Symantec."


 

Seriously? Now what is the business logic behind that? :smileylol:

 

http://www.pctools.com/

 

Atomic_Blast :)

 

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
dickevans
Posts: 11,774
Registered: ‎04-08-2008

Re: PC tools registry mechanic

Seriously? Now what is the business logic behind that?

 

$ $ $

 

maybe :smileywink:

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Visitor
mshort
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: PC tools registry mechanic

weird, I did install adobe flash player,  but the only thing it told me that would be installed with it was Mcaffe which I un ticked