Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
cnwfan

System Restore Points and Virus

I have been resarching this topic today. When I do a system restore does it remove some if not all Viruses? Ive been getting yes, no and to a point. Im specific to the System Restore Virus thats out there., where it downloads a program that tells you that your computure is infected but in reality it may not be.  One commenter said that he or she removed this program by safe mode and a system restore, Im wondering if its all gone after this and after a scan.

Thanks

Todd

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,838
Solutions: 779

Re: System Restore Points and Virus

Hi cnwfan,

I am not a big fan of System Restore.  It reverts some things back to an earlier time, but not everything.  If you use a fairly recent restore point, it is possible that you might successfully disable a minor piece of malware without disrupting other programs that you use.  But System Restore will make wholesale changes to your system that you cannot control and if things start to misbehave after a restore, recovery can be quite difficult.  System restore is meant to undo instability introduced into your system from a known source, and is not designed to remove installed programs such as malware.  If it were any good at doing so, we would not have to worry about security for our PCs, we'd just pick a restore point every time.

Contributor
cnwfan

[ Edited ]

Lets say based on the virus/malware that I presented that I used system restore.However Norton and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware   scan comes up clean. Where do I go from here to see if the malware has been eliminated compleately from my system?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,838
Solutions: 779

If scans are clean and you are not seeing any popups, you are probably in the clear.