Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
PC_confused
Topics: 117
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27
Accepted Solution

Teamviewer

I would like to help a friend with a PC problem, but it's too far to drive and talking him through it on the telephone isn't working out.  Does anyone have any experience with TeamViewer?  Is it as safe, easy to use and secure as the website states?  Would Windows XP be able to talk with Windows Vista?  When you end the connection, is there any threads left over?  Just asking before I take a big leap..

huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,815
Solutions: 375

Re: Teamviewer

I don't know Teamviewer but I know a number of people who use LogMeIn which does have a free version last time I got it myself.

Or CNET has it:

http://download.cnet.com/LogMeIn-Free/3000-7240_4-10317491.html

Hugh
Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

[ Edited ]

Hello PC_confused.

I have used TeamViewer on a number of occasions and have been pleased with the results.

Teamviewer is very secure as it uses 'secure data channels with key exchange and AES (256 Bit) session encoding, the same security standard used by https/SSL.'

At the beginning of each session, the remote party will have to tell you the unique pass code that has been generated on their machine for that session in order to establish a connection.  This can be done via phone or IM.  If either party closes the application or restarts their machine, the session and the connection are immediately terminated. A new pass code will be generated for the next session.

I have the full version installed and the remote party only needs to download and run the TeamViewer QuickSupport application which does not install anything.  Although I have not tried this method, I understand that both computers can use just the QuickSupport application. (no installation)

And yes, you can remote in across different operating systems.

I can recommend this as very reliable and safe method of assisting someone remotely.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

PC_confused
Topics: 117
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27

Thank you for that very detailed recommendation. 

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello PC-Confused.

I use Teamviewer with my son. He has the full version and runs win 7. I have the quick start version and use xp pro sp3. So it definitely works cross different versions.  It is secure and any temp files left in the temp folder can easily be deleted. They do come up with updated versions which can easily be updated also. LogMeIn seems to leave left overs which can be difficult to find and delete them according to one thread in the regular forum.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.