Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
donna3154

Re: Windows XP Users here's a link to determine info required to buy extra RAM

Wow...you are a computer wizard, Britton! 

Yep, I have the following:

HP Compaq Presario 

2400 + 2 Ghz

AMD Anthlon XP processor

256 mbs Ram

120 gbs hard drive

Have had it for well over 8 yrs...can't remember the year I bought it new.  I've taken good care of it, been cautious, so it's still plugging along.  

I was surprised when I did the search, just how hard it was to find my model. Lots of 2400 versions...2400 with letters after it, but not mine.  Guess they figure nobody still has this version! lol

Once I get to read up and make sure this is the once that Hugh found for me, I'll order the ram.  I didn't get to it, yet...it's in storage in attic.

Big thanks to you and Hugh!  It's good to know I can buy the ram and that it's easy to put in myself...a huge relief!

Btw, I'm back on Chrome and it's fast again!  I keep switching browsers...one will be fine for awhile, then isn't. so I switch.

Anybody have that problem with "browser war" going on?

Britton30
Topics: 22
Kudos: 20

[ Edited ]

donna3154 wrote:

Wow...you are a computer wizard, Britton! 

I was surprised when I did the search, just how hard it was to find my model. Lots of 2400 versions...2400 with letters after it, but not mine.  Guess they figure nobody still has this version! lol

Once I get to read up and make sure this is the once that Hugh found for me, I'll order the ram.  I didn't get to it, yet...it's in storage in attic.

Big thanks to you and Hugh!  It's good to know I can buy the ram and that it's easy to put in myself...a huge relief!

Btw, I'm back on Chrome and it's fast again!  I keep switching browsers...one will be fine for awhile, then isn't. so I switch.

Anybody have that problem with "browser war" going on?

Wizard is a strong descrption Donna, LOL.

If you want PM me your model number and I'll find your RAM. It is likely DDR but need to know what frequency,PC133, PC 266,PC400, etc.
The model should be on a label on the back, bottom, or the front panel.

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

Hi Britton

Good of you to pick up on the importance of the correct memory frequency etc; for Donna's PC .......Let's hope that when the memory type is i/d' correctly ..that it isn't one of the "hard to source " types that is in short supply !

I had to purchase memory a couple of months ago for someones nine year old Packard Bell desktop that was being sold at "silly money " price levels.......Fingers crossed...... that Donnas' isn't the same :smileywink:

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 379

Britton30 wrote:

If you want PM me your model number and I'll find your RAM. It is likely DDR but need to know what frequency,PC133, PC 266,PC400, etc.

The model should be on a label on the back, bottom, or the front panel.

I've already done that for Donna and given her a link to Crucial for the correct RAM. I prefer Crucial for their qualiity and warranties and I don't think I've ever found decent RAM cheaper by much than they offer.

The perceived problem is that apparently her "HP" says 2400 as a model number on the front and the only HP 2n00 is a very old laptop that only takes up to 64MB of RAM!

Hers is a desktop and the codes on the back which she gave me from a wizard scan I think by the HP website ties in with another HP machine -- Compaq Presario 06 DC479A-ABA S3200NX

The codes in black matches what she reported to me. 2 x 512MB strips would cost about $36 in all.

I've given her the link to the support pages for that Compaq.

Hugh
huwyngr

bleeper,

I was concerned about price but it's not that old:

Crucial gives:

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 1GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

Their recommendation is the PC2700 so I've recommended not to go for the slightly faster PC3200 even tho' it's only a dollar more per strip since when Crucial recommend something and you follow that recommendation they guarantee it will work or they'll refund and the strips have a lifetime warranty (and lifetime does not mean until they break down! <g>)

It's not clear from the information Donna has whether her machine has 1 x 512MB or 2x 256MB but knowing the bean counters I'd reckon both slots are filled and I've suggested replacing both for the small cost and the benefits of doing it that way.

Hugh
Britton30
Topics: 22
Kudos: 20

huwyngr wrote:

I've already done that for Donna and given her a link to Crucial for the correct RAM. I prefer Crucial for their qualiity and warranties and I don't think I've ever found decent RAM cheaper by much than they offer.

The perceived problem is that apparently her "HP" says 2400 as a model number on the front and the only HP 2n00 is a very old laptop that only takes up to 64MB of RAM!

Hers is a desktop and the codes on the back which she gave me from a wizard scan I think by the HP website ties in with another HP machine -- Compaq Presario 06 DC479A-ABA S3200NX

The codes in black matches what she reported to me. 2 x 512MB strips would cost about $36 in all.

I've given her the link to the support pages for that Compaq.

I see I need to read, lol. Good job Hugh. Hopefully donna can get her RAM from an etailor instead of Compaq. The OEM people still charge horrendous amount for easily obtained parts and accessories.

Gary

huwyngr

You didn't miss reading anything here .... Donna PM'd me ... but later asked me to post here as well ....

Hugh
Regular Contributor
donna3154

Hah!  Talking behind my back, eh guys?! lol

I didn't feel well all weekend, so still haven't looked over the booklet that came with my computer (I have all the original papers in the attic).  

I'm glad you came on here, Hugh.  I greatly appreciate your over-the-top efforts to help me out with the ram.  

I'll keep this open for now, until I get the memory sticks and know that they work...so the next person will know what and where to get their ram (IF there is anyone out there with my computer still..lol).

Thanks again, Hugh!:smileyhappy:

huwyngr

Donna,

Sorry you've not been well ... Take two sticks of RAM and come back in the morning should fix that ....

Hugh