Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix
Accepted Solution

XP Hangs at Windows Shutdown Screen - TuneUp Utilis 2011 BUG!!

Hi all, I have been experiencing problems with my computer  hanging at the 'saving settings' window during the shut-down procedure for around 4-5 months. (this problem is random)!!

Today I notice in windows event viewer that an entry is created by Microsoft's 'User Profile Cleanup Service' at each shutdown, the offending piece of software is TuneUp Utilities!

Here's one such entry, note the info varies on each log entry but it is always the same service causing the issue!

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    UPHClean
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1401
Date:        23/09/2011
Time:        22:19:55
User:        SLINKY\Slinky Grafix
Computer:    SLINKY
Description:
The following handles in user profile hive SLINKY\Slinky Grafix (S-1-5-21-1957994488-1078081533-839522115-1003) have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe (3444)
  HKCU (0x3a0)
  HKCU (0x3ac)
  HKCU (0x3b0)
  HKCU (0x4f8)
  HKCU (0x4fc)
  HKCU (0x500)

Please note that on the ocassions where my computer DOES HANG, the above type of entries are not generated! Seemingly the 'User Profile Service' does not always work.

I have contacted TuneUp Utilities Tech Support dozens of times and they said to try stopping the TuneUp service before shutdown and see if the problem goes away. I tried that and it DOES!!!

TuneUp Utilities will not acknowledge that there is a problem with their software and ignore ALL my emails!

TuneUp Utilities is quite a good program (when it works properly) but the company who sell it are flippin useless!! Not at all what you would expect from a German Company!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have tried a fresh install but still no luck! :smileymad:

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,822
Solutions: 376

Re: XP Hangs at Windows Shutdown Screen - TuneUp Utilis 2011 BUG!!

What version of Windows are you using? 32 bit or 64 bit?

I'd remove TUneUp Utilities ..... I've seen more people with problems from using them then getting real benefit.

You refer to a Microsoft utility that is probably trying to do the same thing at the same time so no wonder it reports a conflict!

Hugh
Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix

[ Edited ]

huwyngr wrote:

What version of Windows are you using? 32 bit or 64 bit? 

What difference does that make..? UPH Clean does not work with XP - 64 Bit!

I'd remove TUneUp Utilities ..... I've seen more people with problems from using them then getting real benefit.

You refer to a Microsoft utility that is probably trying to do the same thing at the same time so no wonder it reports a conflict!

A ridiculous statement to make! Do you know what UPH Clean does exactly? Clearly not!

Hi huwyngr!

Thank you for your comments.., as you can see I've left a few inline comments above. However, and with all due respect, if you cannot make a sensible comment please don't bother wasting your time or mine. It solves nothing!

What is the point in asking me what version of Windows I'm using if in the next breath you dismiss the actual problem and tell me to uninstall TuneUp Utilities? How exactly are you qualified to make such a diagnosis, surely it's not based on a few random hearsay comments you've Googled?

Further, you mention the Microsoft Utility that I run, it's actually called 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service' or UPH Clean for short. The purpose of this Microsoft utility is to help ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. It does this by remapping any locked handles that have been left open by a program or process to the registry. As I said in my OP, UPHClean usually creates an entry in the windows event viewer when it has unlocked/re-mapped the TuneUp Utilities Service32.exe which then facilitates a clean shutdown. Occasionally this is not happening and it is this problem that I am trying to remedy! Pointless comments about uninstalling TU are simply that. Pointless!!

You might like to read about UPH Clean here: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6676

All the best!

huwyngr

Since you know so much why are you asking help?

The first step in intelligent troubleshooting is to establish basic  facts which is why we ask routine questions often although not in this case using boilerplate.

We look for facts in the text of messages so I missed that you put XP in the subject.

Your account of what is going on which included:

the offending piece of software is TuneUp Utilities !

which I did look up  http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/    and stand by my suggestion of getting rid of what your log says is interfering.

I've been doing computer support for over 20 years and technical development before that so I do have some experience.

But I've no time for rudeness so I hope someone can help you.

Hugh
Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix

Hmm.., 20 years experience eh?!

Great!

Have a nice day. :smileyvery-happy:

Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix

Problem Solved!!

A while back Norton Internet Security 2011 quarantined my 'Logonui.exe' as it said the file had performed a suspicious activity! NIS did not elaborate but as a result of this file being quarantined I lost access to the logon screen at startup! Eventually I realized that these problems had occurred as I had used TuneUp Utilities 2011 to customize my logon screen. Effectively TUU 2011 had made the customization in the registry but Norton Internet Security thought this change was malicious and promptly disabled the file and deleted the registry key!!.

Anyway to cut a long story short since I am the soul user of my machine I decided to disable the logon screen as it was not really necessary in my case. Unfortunately this is where the problem occurred since my computer was still waiting for me to log off so that it could unload my profile successfully. Having now re-enabled my logon/log off screen and logged out and back in again, the problem of the hang at shut down has now gone! Furthermore Microsoft's UPHClean program is no longer having to re-map the locked handles in my user profile or the TuneUp UtilitiesService32.exe........................Thank the lord for small mercies!! :smileyvery-happy:

In summary it would appear that the problem was caused by NIS 2011 wrongly quarantining a good file! That's my take on it, I'm sure someone will want to say different. :smileyindifferent:

huwyngr

You can tell Norton to ignore that file, or folder in future ....

I don't see it as Norton quarantining a "bad" file but as you said quarantining something that was doing something out of the ordinary. Since the logon screen is the portal to your system and may involve password protection it's not surprising to me that a security application should react.

Windows itself does not like anything messing in the registry -- which is why I am against registry cleaners and tuneup utilities.

And I'm not alone in this view if you scan here, other forums (except those selling the products <g>) and technical advice generally.

But congratulations on tracking it down ....

Hugh
Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix

Hi Hue

Thanks for the compliments!

Regarding NIS deleting the windows registry key "UIHost" found here "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", whilst I do agree that NIS was doing it's job I do not agree that the key should have been completely removed! The above key is an integral part of windows and is needed in order for the machine to function correctly. By doing so NIS placed my machine in an unstable position which prevented the user (myself) from logging off.

Obviously TUUtilities cannot be excused of all blame either, given the lack of any technical support from TuneUp Utilities it does make me wonder how they became a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner?! Whilst I do quite like the program, quirks and all, I cannot recommend this program as a matter of principle!

Slinky

huwyngr

Your call on that utility but given that doing what it wanted to do caused difficulties ....

Have you asked around about other ways of achieving whatever modification it was you wanted in LogIn ? We have Tech Outpost Forum here for non-Norton related computing topics ....

Hugh
Super Contributor
Slinky_Grafix

Yes we're in Tech Outpost now.., clue at top of screen! :smileyvery-happy:

I've marked my post as solved since I found the solution already thanks.

Slinky