Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
andreasnell

how do I remove AVG

Simply put, I am a techno retard. I tried to remove AVG and it instantly started 2012. Now when I try to remove it says the installation was corrupted (because I cacelled it when it started to install). Purchased 360 after I acquired a virus, computer was sending e-mails out on its own in the middle of the night. This problem seems  resolved, but still have problems with speed- IE shutting down/not responding. Should I seek professional assistance,via geeksquad? Took Malwarebytes off, I assumed any other security program would not be good with 360. Was this a mistake? Thanks for any advice.

dickevans

Re: how do I remove AVG

[ Edited ]

andreasnell wrote:

Simply put, I am a techno retard. I tried to remove AVG and it instantly started 2012. Now when I try to remove it says the installation was corrupted (because I cacelled it when it started to install). Purchased 360 after I acquired a virus, computer was sending e-mails out on its own in the middle of the night. This problem seems  resolved, but still have problems with speed- IE shutting down/not responding. Should I seek professional assistance,via geeksquad? Took Malwarebytes off, I assumed any other security program would not be good with 360. Was this a mistake? Thanks for any advice.

WOW,

Welcome,

That;s a plate full. The first priority is to get everything cleaned off so that you have a system that will accept the product you want to run.

I've checked the AVG site and don't see any removal tools. If this is true a simple control panel uninistall and reboot should that care on that one.

For the Norton products you need to download and run the Norton Removal Tool found here: http://www.symantec.com/nrt/

Reboot and run it again to be sure everything is cleaned off.

The free version of Malwarebytes scanner found here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

is Norton compatible and a great second opinion when you have questions. Download it, install it, update it and then run a full scan from your desktop.

After a reboot install the Norton product of your choice - BUT only one of them. Do not install any other security products. They all try to do about the same job and think that any other product that tries to look or work like they do is a threat. The end result is either no protection or very little on a machine that runs too slow to be useful.

Without knowing more about your email setup I'm not sure what to recommend. If you are using a web based service - gmail, hotmail, etc. then you need to change your password AND the responses to all of your security questions in an attempt to revive your security there.

If you are using a client that is on your computer then the password the cleanup done above may resolve that. The fact that your addressbook has been compromised cannot be reversed. Let your friends know of the incident and warn them about bogus messages from you that may be harmful.

That should get you started and I'm sure as others read this they will add additional information which will be useful to you.

Stay well and surf safe

Keep us in the loop. There's most always someone around who can assist. The light's always on :smileywink:

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Super Virus Trouncer
bjm_

Re: how do I remove AVG

[ Edited ]

andreasnell wrote:

I tried to remove AVG and it instantly started 2012. Now when I try to remove it says the installation was corrupted (because I cancelled it when it started to install).

Um, perhaps you tried running the AVG uninstall / repair installation.... 

Just guessing.   Please see AVG Remover

Since you report ... you are still having problems...

Bleeping Computer Am I Infected.

Just my two cents