Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
artfreak

is pc decrapifier safe or will ccleaner do the job?

[ Edited ]

Hi Im prob' on my way to soon owning a new laptop (toshiba win7 64bit) I can either delete the bloat by hand or use the decrapifier thing or just use ccleaner?

Thanks for input.

PS: Does anyone know if it will hurt my upcoming new laptop to just use the plug with no battery at first to get it all set up then turn off and install battery and charge?  thnx

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: is pc decrapifier safe or will ccleaner do the job?

I prefer to look at things on a new machine and then uninstall what I don't want by hand.  I use Ccleaner to tidy up, carefully, after saving the backup.

The best thing to do with a new laptop or any computer really, is to have a look at the manual and follow the directions for setup.  It protects your warranty, if nothing else.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

artfreak,

Don't do a thing unless you have made those recovery media so you can restore to factory state when the system crashes. Not IF but WHEN because it WILL !

Don't delete the hidden recovery partition just to liberate space -- I'm not entirely sure about the Toshiba ones but on HP/Compaq that recovery system will do things that the media will noat; like get you a single driver for something new or reinstall an application that came with the computer that you uninstalled.

Cricket Umpires have a motto: When in doubt say Not Out -- it's a good motto for computer owners too. I do support over on Compuserve and time and again people come in saying I tidied up my computer system and got rid of a lot of stuff I don't need and now it won't work -- what do I do.

Since I suspect that not even Microsoft knows everything about windows how can some third party robot? <g>

By all means Uninstall applications you know you don't want but I bet you have hundreds of GB of hard drive so what does saving a few MB make?

Uncheck things in msconfig if you want to but that's reversible if you need to.

I don't know decrapifier although I've heard it. I do use CCleaner but not on autopilot. If I've uninstalled a program and run it and it lists things I know are associated with that program then I may remove them but again -- why?

Hugh
Regular Contributor
artfreak

thank you all good advice :), I had orig' planned on using my own discretion carefully and ccleaner. (So that will be then).

As far as back up, the pc I run now was my first new pc like 3 yrs or more ago, I umm never did back up discs dont even know how (blush), I mean where to intitiate it that is.  I tried it did nt ask for more discs just said wont fit.

The partition thing..that was confusing...I tried to understand what that was about but my regular system back ups say theyve run out of partition space frequently and I never could get it to fix that.

So guess Im asking how I might back up my new laptop, is there a program that'll offer me to do it?  (I assume so?)

What type of discs do need and what size...cd r something?

Ive never burned to many discs other then a few things.

OH...hey on this new laptop...must I update driver, bios and such..scares the puss out of me I dont wanna foul things up. The old if it works dont fix it thing LOL.

Contributor
ITTechSS

[ Edited ]

They are two entirely different programs. PCD is a program to help remove the pre-installed bloat your new pc comes with such as trials and games. CCleaner is cookie and temp file cleaner. Its great for erasing your browser history. It has other tools also but as I said they are both different programs and safe to use. Games such as the ones from WildTangent. Driver updating is not nessary unless there are hardware issues which need to be addressed.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Hi artfreak,

Windows 7 has a backup feature that you can use.  I would advise backing up to an external hard drive, and using the Windows backup option to create a System image.  Create new backups periodically to keep up with changes on your system.  Then when disaster strikes, you need only restore the latest image and you can fully recover your system in minutes.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Recovery disks are more than just back up.  Most new laptops will pop up a warning to make your recovery disks.  Your manual will undoubtedly tell you how it is done.  We can't tell you how important it is for you to keep those recovery discks.  The image is a photograph of your system that you can use to reinstall everything just like it was on the day of disaster.  It is also different from just a backup

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Regular Contributor
artfreak

thanks for excellent input . I will do the recovery discs, hopefully it will prompt me or I will find it on there.

Must buy some discs to have ready asap.

I do have a clickfree back up hd but I doubt it could hold all the rescue info and prob should really be on disc.

I do use system back up on the machine and on my external one tho regularly, just never made system recovery discs.

huwyngr

artfreak,

Sorry not to come back sooner.

Firstly over simply on partitions

A hard drive is one piece of hardware with disks in it. A partition is logical division made on the hard drive which the computer treats as if it is an individual drive. So you Toshiba will arrive probably with one hard drive (although some have 2) divided into two partitions -- one is labeled C: and contains Windows and all the stuff you and it use; the other will probably be labeled D: and may be hidden so that you cannot see it when you look at Computer but the computer system can see and use it.  Your DVD/CD drivve will get the next letter so will probably be E: (I say proabably because those last two might be the other way round).

So your old PC might refer to a partition being full rather than a drive being full. No need to explain ...

To make recover disks READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

But if you click on START > All Progams and scan all the programs listed -- you may have to click on >> to see them all -- you should find an entry there to do with Recovery and that will do it for you.

You will need DVD writeable disks (don't use RW) and probably 2 or 3 of them so buy one of those packs of 25 on a peg from your usual source.  The recovery manager will in fact tell you how many you will need.

Backup is a seperate operation and is different to making the recovery disks and different to making an image.

Windows 7 does have imaging software in it although I've not used it but once you have made your recovery media and then got the machine set up as you want it including installing Norton Internet Security 2011 <g> installing programs that did not come with it (beware of Microsoft OFFICE which is a trial and you have to buy to keep using unless that is what you do use and you want the latest) and moved your data files over then you should make that image and store it on that external hard drive. It will be compressed so it won't take as much space as the original.

The advantage of the image is that if you use the recovery media you only get back to factory state and have to go through all the setting up again; if you have an image you restore that, even onto a new drive when the old one crashes, and you don't have repeat it all again. I can restore my system in about 12 minutes compared with the hours it would take you otherwise.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

Over on Compuserve there is a very good Laptop Forum where a number of the staff used to do support for Toshiba and there's also a good PCHardware forum. Why not jump over some time and check it out.

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-laptop

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-pchardware 

You can read messages as a visitor but if you log in you can post queries. If you have an AIM ID and password just use that or create a new one on the AOL screen that comes up. Compuserve is part of AOL and is free.

Hugh
huwyngr

Artfreak,

If youcare to post the detailed Toshiba model number I'd be interested to have a look at its specification etc.

Hugh