Contributor
richlust
Accepted Solution
norton default settings

Hi all, if you use the norton default settings or reset your firewall, is file sharing enabled?

what do you need to configure or is that it setup secure as default from the smart firewall,

I have gone into services and set windows firewall from auto started to manual and stopped. Would i be best to restart the windows firewall in services and set it back to auto and started?

If your computer was not secure before you installed norton will the smart firewall correct these faults?

rich

peterweb
Kudos: 1,451
Solutions: 362
Re: norton default settings

richlust wrote:

Hi all, if you use the norton default settings or reset your firewall, is file sharing enabled?

what do you need to configure or is that it setup secure as default from the smart firewall,

I have gone into services and set windows firewall from auto started to manual and stopped. Would i be best to restart the windows firewall in services and set it back to auto and started?

If your computer was not secure before you installed norton will the smart firewall correct these faults?

rich

Hi Rich

Norton does not control file sharing, that is done by Windows. If it was working before you installed 360, it will work the same using default Norton settings.

You only want to have one firewall active at any time. Norton disables the Windows firewall during installation and setup. You might want to reset your Windows firewall service back to auto. That setting should only start it if Norton did not start for some reason.

If your computer was not secure, it will be after installation of 360.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Hi richlust,

You should not turn off the Windows Firewall Service because it is necessary for other protections that Windows Vista and Windows 7 provide.  Please see the following and scroll down to the box at the bottom of the page that says "Caution."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766337%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

When it comes to sharing, the Norton firewall default will depend on whether you have sharing enabled on the PC when you first install Norton.  If you have Windows File and Printer Sharing enabled when you initially install Norton and first open the Network Security Map, the Norton Smart Firewall will automatically configure itself to allow sharing.  The Security Map will show a "Shared" network.  Otherwise, if sharing is not enabled, the network will be shown as "Protected."  If you enable sharing at a later time, you may have to change the Network Trust Level and/or some of the device trust levels in the Security Map to permit sharing on your network.  Essentially, if you want to allow sharing, set the Network Security Map Network Trust Level to "Shared."  If you don't use sharing, select "Protected," which filters LAN traffic with the same firewall rules that are applied to internet traffic, or "Restricted," which completely isolates your PC from all other devices on your local network.

Contributor
richlust

You guys deserve a pay rise for all your helpfull knowledge, you get a thumbs up from me to get a company porshce if you dont already have 1 :smileywink:

Thanks for your help, i will restart the windows firewall service, set windows firewall to default but let norton still use its firewall and reset that to default afterwards then configure file sharing and so on under the network sharing, I suppose also if i set the network to public instead of home the norton firewall security settings will be automatically adjusted to be more secure and isolated. Thank you both for your help

Rich

SendOfJive
[ Edited ]

richlust wrote:

you get a thumbs up from me to get a company porshce if you dont already have 1 :smileywink:

Painted Symantec yellow with big black checkmarks emblazoned on the sides!!!!

Contributor
richlust

Also i had noticed something else on my pcs in the services is that the remote access connection manager is running again on 2 of my pcs but not on the 3rd, I know i have asked about this service and you have told me that norton does use this service but then why is it not using it on the 3rd pc and just the other 2. I noticed that if i disabled the service the remote desktop service then starts when i reboot the pcs, if it was the same on all 3 of the pcs i could understand that but 2 out of 3, it may be nothing but just trying to understand why. I do use cable and i have read that cable connections do use this service and i did fresh installs with all 3 connected by the lan but 2 of the 3 pcs 1 is connected by lan as it is a desktop and the other is a laptop connected by wireless, the 3rd pc that does not have remote access connection manager running is connected by wireless.

Both the wireless connected pcs that is 1 with and 1 without the service running all i have done to them is install norton and updated the windows updates. The 1 that has it running is running OS vista 32bit home premium and 1 without is running windows 7 home premium 64bit.

If i setup a rule in the norton firewall to block these services from running is that a good idea? Also the service is set to manual as it is by default. I did get someone from digital home support from virgin to log onto my pc to check i had set it up correctly but after they had finished i stopped the remote access connection manager then reset the firewall and all the rules but still it starts up again after reboot this was only remotely connected on my desktop not the wireless connected pcs, maybe im just being paranoid about nothing but better safe than sorry.

The troubled 1

Rich

dickevans

SOJ

Don't forget the green circles :smileywink:

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
richlust

I might even do a little test about this, if i do a fresh custom install delete the hard drive then in theory all i have is a blank canvas to install windows on, get windows installed and use the recommended settings and not connect it to any network, i know also if i reinstall on this pc the lan and wireless drivers will not even be installed from scratch on 1 of the pcs that has the remote access connection manager running, then am i right in saying there will be no need for this service to be running at all as it wont be trying to communicate with other pcs unless i go onto services and select start for this service to run. All i will do when it starts up is go into remote settings and disable allow this pc to be controled remotely and disable remote assistance connections reboot and see what happens after and see if this service starts up on its own, i will leave it running overnight then reboot it in the morning and then check if this service is running, if im being paranoid then this service will not be running right Send Of Jive as it has had no need for it to be running right? But if it is running then surely that will mean that a remote computer has got onto the pc and started this service??? This is just a test and i will repost the results if you can confirm this service will not run if my theory is right and its just me :smileyhappy: Lets just call this a reassurance test

Btw symantec yellow with the tick... some fit blondes might think your a footballer just flashing his cash and you will be in for a whole lot of fun :smileylol:

SendOfJive

richlust wrote:

Btw symantec yellow with the tick... some fit blondes might think your a footballer just flashing his cash and you will be in for a whole lot of fun :smileylol:

How long until they find out I am a geek?  And will that matter if I am driving a Porsche?

You might want to look at what Black Viper has to say about Remote Access Connection Manager:

http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/remote-access-connection-manager/

Contributor
richlust

Knowledge is power Jive, many women admire success :smileywink: lembit opik and a cheeky girl is a prime example

Yes i read that link when i googled remote access connection manager which makes it even more confusing that it is running on 2 out of the 3 pcs connected to the same network cable service :smileysad::smileyfrustrated: but then like i say when that is disabled the remote desktop service then starts up when that is disabled after reboot. I think i might ring virgin on that 1 to see if remote access connection manager is needed to use their internet services, but then that does not explain how the other laptop is connected to the internet without it running if you understand what i am saying