SASE0101
Switching McAfee to Norton

I need help.  I currently have McAfee and would like to delete it (cause I hate it) and replace it with Norton.  How do I make the switch without screwing up my computer and Norton?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Keylogger Crusher
donahu1
Re: Switching McAfee to Norton

Once you have Norton CD or downloaded version with a license to activate it, simply goto your control panel and Uninstall McAfee first. You don't want to leave your computer available for attack very long. That's why you need to have Norton ready to install. I think you would have some conflicts if you tried to install "over and with" McAfee still installed.

Let Norton run a scan when it offers to just to stay on the safe side.  Good luck.

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

SASE0101 wrote:

I need help.  I currently have McAfee and would like to delete it (cause I hate it) and replace it with Norton.  How do I make the switch without screwing up my computer and Norton?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please download and run the McAfee removal tool. 

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Than install the latest Norton build 

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Visitor
bowzerbird

Kinda sad. Norton has as much problems with trogan/virus/worm removal as McAfee. Sometimes and you will find this to be true, Norton/McAfee/PCcillin/AG/Kaspersky/FProt and others will just NOT be able to do an adaquate job of removal, and other smaller programs and scanners will do the trick.

I just found this out with the Vundo trogan. Twas a mess! And even the folks at the Norton Forums here, advise to download certain ADDITIONAL programs to defeat the infection. Programs like:

1. SuperAntiSpyware Removal Tool

2. SDFix

3. VundoFix

4. Malwarebytes

I have used Norton, McAfee and PCcillin and have been with McAfee since version 3. But the malware writers have become sooo sophisticated that they can "beat" the AV scanners & engines. But boy, I know how ya feel!! You will find [at some point] difficulty with removal/cleaning etc. with even Norton's products. None of them are "full proof." Norton has specific removal/cleaning instructions for the Vundo trogan AND downloading an additional tool to remove it. Even though it is Norton's tool, it still is an ADDITIONAL program that must be executed to clean your computer. In other words, if this additional tool is required, Norton did NOT catch it/prevent it in the first place. And I'm NOT denegrating Norton or any AV program for that matter. These virus/worms/trogans are becoming so sophisticated as I said, and our AV protectors can't keep up with them fast enough. 

This is the best advice I can give: Be careful what you download. Don't click links in your email you're not sure of and hey, this is a good one .  .  .  .  be careful what links you click in www.youtube.com, folks have received the Vundo trogan from that!!

The Net is a great place but can be VERY dangerous!  But hey, thanks for forums like these and especially thank the MODERATORS of these forums. They work hard to give us ALL the best advice they can. High Five to you guys. I for one appreciate ALL OF YOU!!

Ellen :smileyvery-happy:

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Thanx bowzerbird.

You are right. Main thing is always just to be safe yourself. Besides that , Vundo is a very nasty thing

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"