daniduck13
security suite for mac 10.6.8??

I am looking for a security suite (anti virus and anti spyware) for my mac version 10.6.8, please help me by suggesting compatible software. 

karigane
Topics: 9
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 25
Re: security suite for mac 10.6.8??

Which web browser do you use?

If you're using Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard (or upgrade to Lion), Symantec doesn't support Safari, so you'd miss out on anti-phishing protection and safe web surfing, to block malicious web sites.  I don't believe Symantec provides support for Chrome either.

Unless you've installed Firefox and only surf with that browser, I wouldn't recommend purchasing Norton Internet Security for Mac until all of that product's features actually work with the browser you use.

Symantec Employee
ryan_mcgann

No security product support Safari right now, so I am not sure it's fair to dissuade people from purchasing Norton Internet Security based on that. It's a problem that all security vendors have. 

Safe Surfing works on Firefox 4 and up, and our Vulnerability Protection feature (which no other company has) actually catches most browser-based attacks such as Facebook LikeJacking and the recent Apple Java vulnerability, regardless of browser that you are using.

Ryan McGann
Principal Software Engineer
Macintosh Products & Solutions
Symantec
Regular Visitor
sabatine2004

Glad I was checking out the boards.  I am using Safari 5.1.5 and have AV 11.1.2.  I was under the impression I had protection but based on the prior posts it would appear that it was not as comprehensive as I thought it was . Is that correct?  Is changing the browser to Firefox the only solution at this time, to get the protection I thought I had?

Thanks for your help.

Contributor
Timothy

sabatine2004 wrote:

Glad I was checking out the boards.  I am using Safari 5.1.5 and have AV 11.1.2.  I was under the impression I had protection but based on the prior posts it would appear that it was not as comprehensive as I thought it was . Is that correct?  Is changing the browser to Firefox the only solution at this time, to get the protection I thought I had?

Thanks for your help.

What Symantec product do you have? Sounds like Norton Anti Virus 11.

The standalone Norton Antivirus 11.1.2 does not have the web-browser integration for the Anti-Phishing proection.

That feature is part of Norton Internet Security 4 which includes a Firewall utility as well as the Anti-Phishing plug-in for web-browsers (NIS 4 also includes NAV 11).

Using NAV 11 with Safari you are still well protected though.

The NAV 11 Vulnerability Protection feature is able to catch web-based threats (such as the recent Java exploit) while surfing with Safari, while the anti-virus would catch malware being downloaded or installed onto the system.

So, while NAV 11 lacks anti-phishing and firewall cababilities of NIS, it is still protecting you from Vulnerabilities and Malware.

Switching to Firefox under NAV 11 will not result in any additional protection.  If you have the NIS suite, then you would need to use Firefox and ensure that the NIS add on is enabled for anti-phishing protection.

Regular Visitor
sabatine2004

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for so clearly explaining the differences.  Upon closer examination it appears that I do have NIS 4.1.1 which does include the AV 11.2.1.  Feeling much better now, thanks!

Cheers,

S

Contributor
Timothy

sabatine2004 wrote:

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for so clearly explaining the differences.  Upon closer examination it appears that I do have NIS 4.1.1 which does include the AV 11.2.1.  Feeling much better now, thanks!

Cheers,

S

Since you have NIS 4 and are concerned about anti-phising I guess you will need to decide if you want to switch to Firefox and get the benefits of that feature.  

As others have mentioned, that particular feature is not available when browsing with Safari.

However, the anti-phishing protection is not necessary in order to be protected from Mac malware or vulnerabilities.

I don't actually have NIS 4 so I'm  not sure of the exact steps to enable the anti-phishing component.