Up
13 Replies
F:\RECYCLER\e5188982.exe
cj_cez15
Visitor
‎06-12-2011 05:01 AM

HELP!.. I have an external HD that contains all of my important files..

when i used it on my friends laptop  and when i had it back.. 

all my folders suddenly turned into shortcuts..

and every time i try to open the folder these error message suddenly appears

'Windows cannot find F:\RECYCLER\e5188982.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and make sure again'

I've scanned it with norton alot of times! but it can't find the virus.. please .. i really really need some help!..

Kudos 2
cj_cez15
Visitor
‎06-12-2011 05:19 AM

every time i try to see Norton Insight about the file... norton sees cmd.exe..

please please please help.. is there anyway for me to atleast retrieve some of my files

Kudo 0
delphinium
Norton Fighter
‎06-12-2011 10:47 AM

Definitely, more information is required.

What did you use the external drive for when on your friend's laptop?  Did you have to change the drive letter to get the laptop to recognize it?

What is the actual information Norton is providing?  Check history.  Is it reporting an infection, or reporting an error, or is Windows reporting an error?

What operating systems are in both machines?

Kudo 0
cj_cez15
Visitor
‎06-13-2011 03:21 AM

i had to copy the installers for an application which we use for school.. Xampp

all the folders turned into shortcuts that leads to cmd.exe

i remember being able to delete a virus before it turned to shortcuts. 

after that it just can't see any infections anymore.. probably because norton sees the cmd, that it doesn't see the infection..

after that, when i tried to reformat the external drive, the external drive turned to 0 Gb and it became empty..

i can no longer use it now,.

is it a virus??.. or is there any problem with the drive itself.. 

Kudo 0
cj_cez15
Visitor
‎06-13-2011 03:22 AM

im using Windows Vista, and my friend is using Windows 7

Kudo 1
delphinium
Norton Fighter
‎06-13-2011 07:36 PM

I would suggest talking to the manufacturer's support for the external drive to see what they recommend.  It may be able to be reformatted for use.

Kudo 0
DaveH
Super Phishing Phryer
‎06-13-2011 11:23 PM

I think it's a virus.

If I recall correctly, something is autorunning because it's a removable drive.  It's also changed all the folders into shortcuts and the target of the shortcuts is another virus.

If your able to stop the first one from running you can change the view settings to be able to remove the .lnk extentions and open back up as folders.

Dave

Kudo 1
rondalle
‎06-20-2011 09:22 AM

i have a simple solution to your problem. just do the ff:

1. click Run at the Start menu command and type regedit

2. Registry editor will open.

3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

4. then Software

5. click Microsoft

6. then Windows

7. click Current Version

8. then Explorer

9. click Adance

10. at the right side of the pannel double click on ShowSuperHidden

11. change the value 0 to 1 as to say yes

12. restart your computer.

13. open your files and folders again. you will see it's kind of faded ones.

14. right click on your folder and send them to Compressed (zipped) Folder

15. you may now delete the faded ones.

16. make sure you have sent them to zipped folder before deleting them coz there is no way you can retrieve the files but the zipped ones.

Kudo 0
Anstin
‎06-30-2011 01:07 PM

I had the same problem but I solved it this way.

-Right click on the short cut folder.

-Change the find the target to the folder name. That means delete all the stuff untill the folder name in the bar. Then do this. Example- Before-  F:\something...something..%\RECYCLER\e5188982.exe\something...something\Important Files.

After    - F:\Important Files.

Do this for all folders to its name.

Now you can open the folders.

Kudo 1
Paresh996
‎08-12-2011 12:53 PM

Hey! I had the same problem too. Actually, your hard drive is not infected. Your operating system is infected with a malware. You just have too re-install your operating system. Then in that operating system also you'll see the shortcut folders. Delete Them. On the Menu Bar, go to Tools-->Folder Options...-->View. Click on 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' and on 'Hide protected operating system files.' A Warning dialog box will pop up. Click on yes. Then you'll see all your folders (NOT shortcuts) permanently hidden. You'll just have to make new folders, move all files from your permanent folder to the new folders you've created and then delete the permanently hidden folders. Unplug and then again plug-in your drive. You'll not be able to see any of the shortcuts. All your files are back in normal folders. Enjoy!!:smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::manvery-happy:

Kudo 1