• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen1 Stats

LiveUpdate Periodically Loads All Virus Defs - Over 500MB

I have several PCs with NIS 2012 (preferred version) installed with one Vista and four Windows 7 OS. All OS are 64-bit except one Windows 7 32-bit, my problem PC here. About every 3-4 weeks, I get the full download of the 32-bit 2012 Virus Defs, currently over 500MB because I’m not using Smart Defs on any of my PCs. This has been going on for 6-8 months. I update my Win7 32-bit every 2-3 days at most and the updates NEVER fail. None of my 64-bit PCs do this. I do update the 32-bit PC on Dialup Internet always except when I need 500+MB. The others are normally updated on hi-speed Broadband. Could this be a LiveUpdate 32-bit bug? Any suggestions? Should I try updating my 32-bit with hi-speed Broadband only?

Antworten

Akzeptierte Lösung
Danksagungen0

Re: LiveUpdate Periodically Loads All Virus Defs - Over 500MB

You could try using Smart Def's perhaps.  There really isn't much point in having a signature for a long gone malware when SONAR and Smart Def's has your back anyway.

By the way, the Full Virus Def's of NIS12 does not = NS 22.2 as far as protection or performance improvements go.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Danksagungen0

It really isn't that unusual to occasionally get a complete new virus definitions set from LiveUpdate.  Whenever LiveUpdate detects a discrepancy between the existing def set on your PC and what it expects to find, it will download a new full set.  Whether it is a matter of something becoming corrupted or some other reason, LiveUpdate will correct any issue it detects by replacing the virus defs.  It is very common, and it would be more unusual if you never saw an occasional full update.

Danksagungen0

" It is very common, and it would be more unusual if you never saw an occasional full update."

Common because the frequent -- Hourly for Virus Definitions, every 5 minutes for Pulse updates. other protection databases at some other schedule -- are subject to HUMAN ERROR (Mr Murphy of Murphy's law).

Until the error is detected & corrected on the server

by Norton,

"Common"

any LiveUpdate with BAD incremental file(s)

"Common"

is merged with the client-subscriber's protection database(s)

on the client-subscriber's system(s).

"Common"

Then LiveUpdate erases the last GOOD database(s). on the LOCAL client/subscribers system.

Then Norton ENGINE or LiveUpdate detects bad database(s).

Also, the database(s) do not survive a Windows Restore.

Then the database(s) must be downloaded from the server.

The design OMISSION CO$T$ Norton and the Subscriber.

Interactive LiveUpdate does not have a pause/resume control,

only a start & abandon control.

"occasional full update"

A full update should only be on initial VIRGIN installation.

I just replaced Norton 360 with Norton Security with Backup. The databases & History were carried forward.

Getting 200MB + LIveUpdate with 4 hour maximum dial-up connect is an

Undocumented, Unsolved in the forums ISSUE. It's ADMINISTATOR Edgar Alan Poe's "Purloined Letter" -hidden in plain sight mystery.

It is Norton's mission to patch the design omission. - A local last previous database(s) saved

Add pause & resume control button to interactive LiveUpdate

the code is already in the product.

add a dialog box when Automatic live update was running when idle

What to do with the partial incremental data that was downloaded.

Danksagungen0

Hello,

I finished arranging contact about something else with Tier 2 support in Springfield OR.

Mr. Michael ___, Norton Support in Philippines asked if there was anything else,

so I asked about "Smart Def's"

and read the first pane of this topic to him.

Re:

OUgrad, "I’m not using Smart Defs on any of my PCs."

Agent Michael learned the phrase/term in orientation.

That descriptive phase is not in any of the prompts/text of the product nor in the documentation table of contents nor index,

but, CSA Michael assures me that:

IT IS PART OF -- INCORPORATED IN: OUgrad's NIS software, my NSwBU software, and other Norton security products.

Re:

OUgrad's other question, "Could this be a LiveUpdate 32-bit bug?"

It has happened to me on 64-bit Win7 Pro.

OUgrad just didn't see it happen on Broadband.

If OUgrad were on MEASURED data service it would be noticed as it is on NB--dial-up.

I conclude that is the reason the NETWORK CO$T AWARENESS feature came to be.

NCA(network cost awareness) al$o $aves on their $erver .

Here is last year's example of the consequential problem:

http://community.norton.com/en/comment/5328433#comment-5328433

Danksagungen0

Smart Definitions ON/OFF is an option with NIS 2012 under Settings, Updates - not sure about newer versions.

Danksagungen0

Hello OUgrad,

When I installed Norton Security with Back-up (NSwBu), Norton 360 (N360) was deleted.

I just did a DL of the N360 ver.6 User Guide (UG). Smart Defs IS in there. It's NOT in the NSwBu UG. nor in the product under Settings, Updates

The N360 UG says the Smart Defs feature is ON by Default. and that it is a 30% subset of the COMPLETE Virus Definitions set of files. The subset % may be different in other products.

In 2014 my get-a-HUGE-LiveUpdate happened more than once. I never changed the default. The size was almost 200 MB.

Just do-able in a 12 hour limit (about 1 out of 4 or 5 attempts).

My ISP session time Max is 4 hrs. The 12 hour limit is extra cost. I assign the 4 out of 5 session disconnects to the telephone lines,

sunspots,

aliens...

beyond control of the ISP.

The extra cost is for 300 more hours total during that calendar month, 12 hours permitted but not for sure.

Thanks. OUgrad, for the tip.

The CSA agent, Michael, could have done better and looked in the index of some of Norton's other product's UG.

Danksagungen1 Stats

OUgrad:
I have several PCs with NIS 2012 (preferred version) installed with one Vista and four Windows 7 OS. All OS are 64-bit except one Windows 7 32-bit, my problem PC here. About every 3-4 weeks, I get the full download of the 32-bit 2012 Virus Defs, currently over 500MB because I’m not using Smart Defs on any of my PCs. This has been going on for 6-8 months. I update my Win7 32-bit every 2-3 days at most and the updates NEVER fail. None of my 64-bit PCs do this. I do update the 32-bit PC on Dialup Internet always except when I need 500+MB. The others are normally updated on hi-speed Broadband. Could this be a LiveUpdate 32-bit bug? Any suggestions? Should I try updating my 32-bit with hi-speed Broadband only?

Hi OUgrad:

I used a dial-up connection until 2013 and posted some hints and modem settings throughout aggrevated1's thread Norton AntiVirus 2011 Won't Complete Updates that might help to keep Norton up-to-date with dial-up, but it's almost impossible to do so if you don't have a fast Internet connection or a laptop that you can take to a WiFi hotspot for your large downloads.  Please see elsewhere's comment in Breaker's thread titled Why Doesn't LiveUpdate Pick Up Where It Leaves Off After Being Interrupted? about dial-up connections, as well as his post <here> in that thread about the negative impact that these large (> 300 MB) virus definition downloads during LiveUpdates have on end user system resources.

It's not uncommon for large LiveUpdate downloads to fail on dial-up due to connection timeouts with your ISP and/or Symantec's LiveUpdate servers, and if that happens when Virus Definitions are being delivered this can corrupt the virus definition database on your local machine.  Once this happens LiveUpdate can sometimes get stuck in a loop where it sees your virus definition set is corrupted and tries to fix it by re-downloading the entire full definition set (>300 MB), which times out and fails over and over again.  If that happens, try using the Intelligent Updater as instructed in the support article How to Update the Virus Definition Files Using Intelligent Updater by downloading the offline installer for the full definition set (>300 MB) and refreshing your virus definitions that way.  Note that there are different installers for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.  If you don't have access to a fast Internet connection a home you can download the offline installer to a UBS stick using another computer (e.g., at your local library or at or work) and then copy the installer to the Windows desktop on your home computer.

Just FYI, I think Automatic LiveUpdates have downloaded the full (> 300 MB) virus definition set to my computer on only one or two occasions since I upgraded from dial-up to a high speed Internet connection in 2013.

OUgrad:
Smart Definitions ON/OFF is an option with NIS 2012 under Settings, Updates - not sure about newer versions.

Norton v20.x (2013) was the last version to offer users a choice between using the Full and Smart Definitions - see the quote from Symantec employee PieterV in FlavioC's thread Where is the Smart Definitions Setting in NIS 21.x? for an explanation of why the improved SONAR heuristic (behaviour-based) malware detection technologies used in newer versions of Norton mean that a smaller definition set is sufficient for Norton v21.x (2014) and higher.  Digital signatures for malware that has not been active for many years are still included in the Full Definitions set in older versions of Norton but have been removed from the Smart Definitions set.  If this old malware is ever re-released into the wild it should be detected and blocked by SONAR's real-time protection and the digital signature will be re-added to the smaller Smart Definition set once the malware is seen in the wild again.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.5 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.6
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Danksagungen0

NCA(network cost awareness) al$o $aves on their $erver .

NCA with v22.x  <info here>

Danksagungen0

Thanks to:

lmacri

Imacri said, "Just FYI, I think Automatic LiveUpdates have

downloaded the full (> 300 MB) virus definition set to my computer

on only one or two occasions since

I upgraded from

dial-up

to

a high speed Internet connection in 2013"

It confirms my prediction:

Fbgnarm said, "Re: OUgrad's other question, "Could this be a LiveUpdate 32-bit bug?"

It has happened to me on 64-bit Win7 Pro.

OUgrad just didn't see it happen on Broadband.

If OUgrad were on MEASURED data service it would be noticed as it is on NB--dial-up.

I conclude that is the reason the NETWORK CO$T AWARENESS feature came to be.

NCA(network cost awareness) al$o $aves on their $erver ."

NEXT

The Intelligent Updater files were in the 300 + teens MB when it failed for me last May 2014

Now they are 500 + teens MB as of June 20, 2015.

The Intelligent Updater file contain the virus Def datasets for all the Norton & Symantec products that use LiveUpdate, therefore

any particular product only uses part of it and rest is waste of Bandwidth and taking a session

that

is AVOIDABLE.

Danksagungen0

Thanks Imacri. I've started testing your findings by only using a friend's nearby DSL connection to update regularly. Will report findings after I've exceeded my usual Dialup full update cycle. I also turned LiveUpdate off permanently because I'm still on Dialup a lot with this 32-bit PC. It is a little disappointing that LiveUpdate can't withstand Internet connection breaks with very small updates. There are numerous increments available with the Incremental Updater.

Danksagungen1 Stats

lmacri:
If you don't have access to a fast Internet connection a home you can download the offline installer to a UBS stick using another computer (e.g., at your local library or at or work) and then copy the installer to the Windows desktop on your home computer.

I forgot to mention that some dial-up users have also reported that they can successfully download the offline Intelligent Updater using a file download manager like Tonec's Internet Download Manager that will restart interrupted downloads due to lost connections.  I've never tried one of these download managers myself but it's another option for dial-up users who don't have access to public WiFi or another computer with a high speed connection.  FileHippo has a list of other free/trial software at http://filehippo.com/software/file_transfer/download_managers/ [a word of caution - FileHippo is now bundling some installers hosted on their site with browser toolbars and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPS)], and someone following this thread might have a suggestion for a reliable file download manager.

OUgrad:

It is a little disappointing that LiveUpdate can't withstand Internet connection breaks with very small updates.

Other dial-up users have requested that Symantec implement some sort of download manager for handling interrupted LiveUpdate downloads in the Product Suggestions board for years now - see the threads below for a few examples.  If you post your own suggestion in that board it might catch the attention of one of the Symantec employees, but I would be surprised if Symantec suggested anything other than an upgrade to Norton Security (2015) v22.x - and I have no idea if an upgrade to NS would even reduce the number of large (> 300 MB) Virus Definition downloads if you use NS with a slow Internet connection.
     gyani_yajsingh:  Product Updates to be Downloaded in Piecemeal for Dial-up Users    
     warpmeister:      An Appeal to NORTON to HELP Dial-Up Users Who Can't Run Live Update Due to Undownloadable File Sizes
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.5 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.6
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Danksagungen1 Stats

Thanks again Imacri for all the helpful feedback. In addition to Norton adding a Download Manager that would simply pick up where it left off if interrupted, here’s another no-brainer, simple solution.

Download the update to a Temp file (or multiple Temp Files for IPS, Defs, etc.) and do not execute the update until confirmed that the update is complete and undamaged. That would leave the existing installed updates intact, so repeating LiveUpdate again would simply call for a small Incremental Update until successful. Microsoft has used this technique in the past for Windows Updates and I know other Norton competitors do as well.

Danksagungen0

June 23, 2015, 10:28 AM LiveUpdate piggy backed a 1.76 Mb product update with the incremental updates The total was 6.73 Mb.

June 24, 2015, 1:39 AM LiveUpdate was ..4.04 Mb,

June 25, 2015, 12:06 AM LiveUpdate was 59.98 Mb. I pulled the plug on the phone at

June 25, 2015, 12:45 AM, I checked History I had incremental files except for Antispam & Reputation (revolk's) and 1 of 4 patches 2.48 Mb.

I continued pulling the phone plug on LiveUpdate 3 more times after the Windows Task manager got about 5 million bytes 5 Million bytes and 10 million bytes of traffic.

Started June 27, 2015, 3:37 PM the remainder 40.60 Mb indicated at the start of LiveUpdate ran to completion, June 27, 2015, 6:49 PM, the history indicated installing 52.89 Mb. Connected time 3:14:48.

I had refrained from complete restart more days than usual to see if LiveUpdate retained DL of STATIC files, so called patches.

Has anyone else observed, or looked for this undocumented behavior of interactive LiveUpdate?

?

I know it doesn't work for "updating" protection related incremental updates.

ADMINISTRATOR Edgar Alan Poe's "Purloined Letter" protocol is "relay race style marathon", it works for those kind.

More later...

Danksagungen0

Hello Fbgnarm

Live Update was trying to download and install the 22.5.0.124 upgrade to you. It came in several parts which needed a few reboots. Please check Help>About to see what version you have. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen0

After one month of testing LiveUpdate using DSL instead of Dialup, there is clearly a relatively new LiveUpdate BUG with Dialup. Using Dialup I must download the entire 500MB+ Virus Def Suite almost weekly with NO communication break. During the past month with DSL, I only had to do it once when the DSL service went down while LiveUpdate was in the download step.

Also, LiveUpdate cannot handle communication breaks when downloading very small (day old) incremental updates of the Virus Defs with DSL. I have to get the entire Virus Def Suite again - VERY disappointing.

Both of these problems appear to have become much more chronic/frequent than in the past. Nothing has changed on my end with my several PCs since installing NIS 2012 on all, except turning Smart Defs off over a year ago. As Krusty13 suggested early on, perhaps I should try Smart Defs with Dialup to see if the problem resolves. Even if it does, there is a BUG here. Six months ago, I routinely updated using the same Dialup Program with ALL my PCs, 32-bit and 64-bit, and rarely had this issue. So, I had three years with Smart Defs and over 6 months without before this issue became chronic/frequent. This problem appears to have worsened since the Incremental Updater was modified to work for month old updates instead of the previous design that only worked if two weeks old. Perhaps there is a correlation? I am presently having to get the 500MB+ Virus Def Suite on one of my 64-bit PCs because LiveUpdate failed again last night to get a half-day-old update using Dialup with NO communication failure. Guess I'll try Krusty13's work-around next with Dialup only.

Two solutions to this LiveUpdate BUG were proposed by Imacri and myself in June 22 Posts here. Hopefully, Norton/Symantec will implement one or both.

Danksagungen1 Stats

OUgrad:
I have several PCs with NIS 2012 (preferred version) installed with one Vista and four Windows 7 OS. All OS are 64-bit except one Windows 7 32-bit, my problem PC here.

Hi OUgrad:

I understand that you prefer to use NIS (2012) v19, but the age of your NIS installation might be another factor affecting the stability of your Virus Definition updates over dial-up.  The support article Is My Windows XP Computer Still Protected After Microsoft Stops Supporting It states "We will provide virus definition updates for 3 years after the release of each major product version", and with the the recent release of NIS (2015) v22.5.x in late June 2015 I believe your NIS (2012) v19.x is finally reaching its end-of-life.

The Firefox 36 Support for Norton Toolbar product announcement posted 23-Feb-2015 also states:

"Please note: Beginning with the Firefox 36 release and onward, the Norton Internet Security 19.x & Norton 360 6.x products will no longer receive Firefox compatibility patches. The latest versions Norton Internet Security & Norton 360 (20.6 & 21.6)  and Norton Security & Norton Security with Backup (22.1) will receive the updates."

If you want to test an upgrade to a newer version of NIS on one of your machines, post back and let us know if you'd like to upgrade to NIS v21.7.0.11 (likely the better choice for machines with a Vista or 32-bit OS) or the latest NIS v22.5.2.15 and whether you use Norton Identity Safe to manage your logins.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 39.0 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.8

Danksagungen0

Thanks Imacri. I've already upgraded to v22 on one 64-bit PC, but it does not have Dialup software installed - may add to test. There is no Smart Def option in Settings with v22. Do you know which it uses by default?

Danksagungen0

OUgrad:

I've already upgraded to v22 on one 64-bit PC....There is no Smart Def option in Settings with v22. Do you know which it uses by default?

Hi OUgrad:

Strictly speaking, my answer would be "none of the above" since v22 technology relies to a much greater extent on SONAR heuristic (behaviour-based) malware detection and cloud-based virus definitions that reside on the Symantec servers, so the size of the local virus definition database for v22 is greatly reduced compared with previous versions of Norton.  From the Norton Protection Blog entry Get Ready For Some Big Updates! of 06-Jul-2015:

Real-time Definition Updates of Quickly Evolving Malware
"Typical approaches to virus protection require virus definitions, also known as a virus database that catalogs all known threats, to be produced and then delivered to devices on a periodic basis. This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, leaving a window where customers are unprotected. Using Norton’s cloud, we can deliver real-time information about new threats, which greatly improves our speed to protect you against the latest cybersecurity dangers."

I haven't upgraded to NIS v22 but according to zoopyfish's thread New Version Forces You to be Online to do Full Scan??? v22 will even warn users if they attempt to run a Full System Scan while they are disconnected from the internet (i.e., scans will be limited because NIS cannot access the virus definitions in the cloud).  I assume that the smaller local virus definition database for v22 means smaller (and fewer) virus definition updates via LiveUpdates for dial-up users - but it also means that you need to be connected to the Internet for optimum protection, which can be an issue if your dial-up plan has limited bandwidth or restricts the number of hours per month you can connect without overcharges.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 39.0 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.8

Danksagungen0

My bad Imacri, but thanks for the V22 info. I have V21. So, does V21 use Smart Defs?

Thanks again.

Danksagungen0

Hello

Have you updated to version 21.5.2.15? If not, you should be able to get it from  the Upgrade Center.

Here is the link for the Norton Update Center

www.norton.com/nuc

If you are running this

What is the version of 21 are you running? Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen0

OUgrad:

I have V21. So, does V21 use Smart Defs?

Hi OUgrad:

Yes, I believe that all v21 Norton products use the smaller Smart Definitions set.

You might be interested in reading an old comment of mine in studmonkey76's thread Smart Definitions Question.  When I tested with NIS (2011) v18 on my 32-bit Vista system I actually found very little difference between the Smart and Full definitions sets.  Don't forget that as new malware is identified in the wild, LiveUpdate must add the digital signature (SHA256 hash) of that malware to both the Smart and Full definitions set in older versions of Norton to keep both sets up-to-date, so if you choose to use the smaller Smart Definitions set it still has to be updated via LiveUpdates as frequently as the Large Definitions set.  And if your virus definitions set is somehow corrupted and LiveUpdate has to re-download the entire database of signatures over a dial-up connection, I've estimated that the Smart Definitions set is only about 20 MB smaller than the Full Definitions set.
-------------

Danksagungen0

Hello

Please remember that sometimes the older Antivirus Engines can not handle some of the newer malware.

Danksagungen0

floplot:

Hello

Please remember that sometimes the older Antivirus Engines can not handle some of the newer malware.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6413051#comment-6413051 

Danksagungen0

floplot:

Keep in mind that we're talking about a LiveUpdate problem on a 32-bit machine with a dial-up connection, so product stability also has to be an important consideration.

NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 was released back in March 2015 and is unlikely to receive any further major product updates that would result in a large LiveUpdate download.  The v22 engine, on the other hand, is still a work in progress and further bug fixes and product updates are expected - see avjohnnie's comments <here> regarding the latest cycle of bug fixes for the v22 engine.  Installing the "latest and greatest" version of Norton isn't always practical for dial-up users.
-------------

Danksagungen0

floplot said "What is the version of 21 are you running? Thanks."

Hello floplot. Just checked my lone PC with v21 and the version is even higher - 21.7.0.11

Danksagungen0

Imacri said "Yes, I believe that all v21 Norton products use the smaller Smart Definitions set."

Thanks Imacri. That supports trying Dialup with the Smart Set for a while per Krusty13.

- Will report findings in a few weeks.

Danksagungen0

I may not have to wait long to confirm this is a LiveUpdate BUG even with Smart Defs. While updating one of my 64-bit Win7 PCs with the full Smart Def suite (+300MB) at the Library (5.7 Mbps download), their wireless went down for a few seconds. The update was almost complete, but failed. I'm now having to get the whole suite again. Norton/Symantec needs to implement the no-brainer solutions proposed in this Thread that Microsoft and many Norton Competitors use to avoid this problem. Are you listening Norton???

Danksagungen0

Well Krusty13, you win the prize. After about 4 weeks of running LiveUpdate manually on Dialup with Smart Defs, updating an average of three times daily, I've had ZERO problems. The only failure I had at the beginning of this trial with Smart Defs was at the Library when their Hi-Speed Internet went down for about one second near the end of an update. All my PCs are now using Smart Defs with NIS 2012.

Thanks!

Danksagungen0

That is good news!

Thanks for letting us now.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.