• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen19 Stats

Identity Safe limitierte Kompatibilitaet mit Firefox - aktueller Stand

Die beschraenkte Kompatibilitaet von Identity Safe mit Firefox ist eine schmerzliche, anhaltende Problematik seit einigen Monaten. Dies ist keine Situation die ignoriert wird, aber bis vor Kurzem konnten wir noch nicht viel ueber unsere Plaene sagen. Die Aenderungen, die  Mozilla am Firefox-Browser und Extensions gemacht hat, zwang uns unsereToolbar neu zu bewerten. Verbunden mit den kommenden Aenderungen in Windows wurde klar, dass wir Einiges grundlegend ueberdenken mussten, wie unsere Toolbar mit Browsern zusammenspielt. Jetzt haben wir einen soliden, langfristigen Plan, eine Norton Toolbar zu schaffen, die in IE, Edge, Firefox und Chrome arbeitet. Etwas zu bauen, dass auf allen 4 Haupt-Browsern laeuft, braucht einige Zeit. Schliesslich wird es aber eine Hilfe sein bei den sich immer wieder aendernden Einschraenkungen der Browser-Extensions und wird dem Kunden den Zugang zu seinen Speicher-/Vault Informationen vereinfachen.

Das war die schwere Entscheidung, die wir zu treffen hatten – Uns einzulassen auf den Bau einer langfristig besseren Norton Toolbar, im Gegensatz zu einer schnellen Korrektur, die nur eine kurzfristige Loesung waere. Das hilft Euch heute noch nicht, und das tut mir leid. Wir sehen, dass wir die Kompatibilitaet gegen August 2016 verfuegbar haben, trotzdem ist wichtig zu wissen, dass es sich dabei um einen allgemeinen Zeitrahmen handelt, der sich noch verschieben koennte. Wir werden Euch Details mitteilen, sobald wir naeher an dem fertigen Produkt sind. In der Zwischenzeit hoffen wir, dass Ihr noch aushaltet.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Identity Safe limitierte Kompatibilitaet mit Firefox - aktueller Stand

I have Comcast Norton Security Suite, if I disable internet access I can still log on to what I assume is my local vault.  Yet I do not have the option to automatically open my vault when Windows starts.   I do have an online vault for Firefox which seems to be the same as my local vault.  I see in my other browsers my email address at the bottom so I assume I have a hybrid vault but with no options to choose which one I want to access.  

Danksagungen0

PaulGo

The Comcast Norton Security Suite is a slightly modified version of the Retail Norton product. Up until very recently, the Comcast version only had a local vault. But it seems recently, there was a prompt to create an online vault. We are still waiting on confirmation on whether this was by design or if there was some mix up with the code released to Comcast customers.

Until we confirm what is happening, it is difficult to comment on any of the current functionality you are seeing at the moment.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

Occasionally I get a message that says "Don't miss out get a Norton account" on my Comcast Norton Security Suite (I do have a Norton Account).  I then have a choice of "Next" or "Remind Me Later", when I click on "Next" I get a new box which instantly disappears.

Danksagungen0

I haven't looked at this thread for many weeks now. I had pretty much given up on the hope that Norton was interested in catering for customers who still wanted to use Local Vault with Firefox. Online Vault only fans were getting weary of our futile enquiries. I had begun looking at alternatives such as Dashlane and Kaspersky.

So it is with interest I read your mention that you have managed to have both vaults running. Problem is that if Norton have really cut the flow of resources to Local Vault it is likely to become problematic as they fail to .update in future.

Eagerly watching for developments. 

Danksagungen0

Glad to see you use both local and online vaults with success. I'll give that a try, though oddly some on here say they don't sync.

Danksagungen1 Stats

Eenywebb

The local vault still will not work with the new FF extension, and probably never will. The only way to use a local vault is with IE or Chrome.

And there is absolutely no connection between your local and online vaults. Therefore no way to sync the two.

Danksagungen0

I am using a combination of IE for my local vault and Firefox "saved logins" feature and not considering moving to the cloud any time soon. If Norton comes to discontinue support for the local vault with IE, that, by itself, will not make me change my mind. I will either grow eventually accustomed to the idea of accepting the "cloud" OR I will find other alternatives from providers that still keep some connection with the needs of their clients.

Meanwhile, I wonder if anyone else is getting the assiduous visit of a familiar icon that pops up at the most unsuspicious places at the most unexpected moments. It can show up anywhere in a page, apparently without any known connection to Norton or its vault. It often appears in the middle of a text page, over-imposed on the text or in a blank area. It looks like this:

Does that small figure in the middle look any familiar to anyone?... Would it be "big brother Norton everywhere"? In the remote eventuality that it is, could this be considered a case of, say... too much "big brotherism"???... Or am I being specially selected for the honor of so many friendly visits from one beloved "friend"?... If so, I hereby confess that I could well do without it...   

Is anyone else being selected too or am I the one and only!?!...

Danksagungen1 Stats

That is the ID Safe icon for the new FF extension that shows up in login input boxes. As you have seen, it also shows up in odd places within web pages that may not even have an input box. I cannot explain it, but you are not alone.

Another bug in the experimental FF extension.

Danksagungen0

Thanks, Peter, for your reassurances... I suspected it should be that but wanted to ascertain that it was not coming from some strange peculiarity in my system... I'm now satisfied that it isn't.

Cheers!

Danksagungen0

Regarding what Peter Web posted two days ago (I responded with this message then, but my email server just informed me they couldn't deliver the message for some reason):

Yes. Some login forms have a button at the right end of the password field (meaning tap this button to proceed once you have keyed in the username and password). The ID safe app is putting the ID Safe icon is sitting on top of that icon and preventing me from executing the sign on in, for example, the Apple ID maintenance sign on and the Comcast/Xfinity login forms. The workarounds are: (1) logon from another (non Firefox) browser where I don't have Identity Safe installed; (2) logon from a mobile device; (3) temporarily disable the Identity Safe add-on in Firefox (which is what I've actually been doing). 

What is the purpose of putting the ID Safe Icon in the username and password fields of a logon form? So far it's been an annoyance rather than a feature for me, but I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Danksagungen0

Randy

Have you tried just hitting the Enter key after entering the login information?

Danksagungen0

(For the last few days every time I add a reply to this thread I get a message a day or so later from my mail server that it has delayed delivery of the message, and then I log on here and don't see my reply. Is anyone else having this problem? Anyway, let me try again.)

Peter, thanks. Hitting Enter on appleid.apple.com doesn't work. (I also said I was having this issue with the Xfinity/Comcast login form, but I see now they have a separate Sign-In button, so I must have been having this issue with a different web page.)

Randy G.

Danksagungen1 Stats

Here we go again. I just got a message from Mozilla to update Firefox. It's now up to 49.0.2 I wonder how far back this will push the programmers from completing the dream mission of completing their work on the 'old' Identity Safe, we all wish we had back. I hate 'the cloud' and wish it was never invented. I am forced to believe all my passwords are 100% secure, floating around somewhere in space, but I'd much rather they only be nice and snug in my PC.
Danksagungen0

Hello kent218

I hope you have your passwords etc. backed up and not backed up on your computer. It your motherboard dies, then your backup on your computer would be gone also.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen1 Stats

Kent218 - I'm on the Cloud and have been so for the last few years. By default, Norton saves your data, including wallet, notes, addresses etc in the Norton Identity Safe Backup folder once a day, I don't know if this happens with Local Vault but I assume the data is stored somewhere on the computer. As flopot says, this, if local, needs backing up, on the Cloud it is effectively backed up there. Mine is also backed up by Windows File History on a separate hard drive, just for belt & braces, I also back up all files etc to another external drive once a week.

Danksagungen0

I have confirmed that my issue with the extension is definitely related to NoScript.  I went directly to the identity safe site and logged in.  When I tried to use the extension icon, I get a dropdown that tells me my vault is locked and to click on Open Vault

"Open Vault" opens a new tab and this is where I see things go bad with NoScript:

NoScript blocks this "page" and does not allow it to be added.  When you look at the address bar it starts as "moz-extension://...."  If I allow scripts globally within NoScript, after I restart Firefox, the above window goes through perfectly and I can use all of my logins and they will fill in as expected.  However, the moment I disallow scripts globally, it quits filling in the login info.  The page shows as being good within NoScript whitelist, but NoScript goes back to once again to blocking the extension.  I tried numerous settings in NoScript since I can't Whitelist the extension and no joy.  I will not give up NoScript as this is the primary reason for me using Firefox.  If someone can see if they can get it to work.  Otherwise, either Symantec/Norton will have to make changes or the NoScript dev will have to find a way to allow the Norton extension. 

So yes, I got it working.  But at the expense of losing NoScript....

Danksagungen0

kent218:
Here we go again. I just got a message from Mozilla to update Firefox. It's now up to 49.0.2 I wonder how far back this will push the programmers from completing the dream mission of completing their work on the 'old' Identity Safe, we all wish we had back. I hate 'the cloud' and wish it was never invented. I am forced to believe all my passwords are 100% secure, floating around somewhere in space, but I'd much rather they only be nice and snug in my PC.

There is no such work being done. They are not trying to copy what they had. They are moving on to the new look you are seeing. There will be updates, and hopefully added features like being able to edit logins. I cannot ever see the local vault coming back in any new Norton code. We have been trying for a few years now.

Danksagungen1 Stats

peterweb - Have to agree. Too late for me anyway, I'm done with them. Adios all.

Keith

Danksagungen1 Stats

"There is no such work being done. They are not trying to copy what they had. They are moving on to the new look you are seeing. There will be updates, and hopefully added features like being able to edit logins. I cannot ever see the local vault coming back in any new Norton code. We have been trying for a few years now." THEN I MOURN THE LOSS - Alas, there are a few other features worth having, but I wish I only had a local vault and not the mysterious cloud. Maybe, I'm just to old to understand. I got my start with computers back in the mid 60's
Danksagungen0

kent

Alas, there are a few other features worth having, but I wish I only had a local vault and not the mysterious cloud

Then use one of the 101 offered third party solutions that range from Password Keeper that I use that does nothing but store my information manually and let's me look it up, verify it, manually if I forget .... to other more automatic version about which plenty of people here or outside will advise you.

And keep Norton for the reason we all got it in the first place? To protect us from malware of all kinds.

Hugh
Danksagungen0

Danksagungen0

Hugh, A while back I discovered an add on through Mozilla Firefox, called Passport Exporter that has what I believe is a local vault for user ID/password and have been using that ever since the old Norton ID safe went away. P.S. I have yet to find anything about this product that tells me if it uses the 'cloud'. However, based on the fact that I have to export it to a file and load it on another PC seems to indicate that it is, in fact, only 'local'. I hope this is the fact.
Danksagungen0

Most of us who use laptops or desktops are surely backing up on external media? And have been doing so for years. Not only for Norton ID [passports obviously but for all data. 

Danksagungen0

kent

Interesting utility although I don't use the Norton Identity Safe to judge it:

Password Exporter 1.3.2  358 user reviews 198,214 users

Password Exporter 1.3.2

by Justin Scott (fligtar), Jorge Villalobos

This extension allows you to export your saved passwords and disabled login hosts using XML or CSV files that can be imported later.

I wonder if any else of the 200k users are here and will comment?

Take care ....

Hugh
Danksagungen0

kent218:
Hugh, A while back I discovered an add on through Mozilla Firefox, called Passport Exporter that has what I believe is a local vault for user ID/password and have been using that ever since the old Norton ID safe went away. P.S. I have yet to find anything about this product that tells me if it uses the 'cloud'. However, based on the fact that I have to export it to a file and load it on another PC seems to indicate that it is, in fact, only 'local'. I hope this is the fact.

Everything I read on this add on indicates it just backs up the FF password manager. So yes, the passwords are stored locally, but it is not in fact a password manager. It just makes backing up the passwords stored in FF easier.

Danksagungen0

Eeny

From what I see elsewhere I would not say "most" of the general population of computer users; that those who do don't do it to an external drive or the cloud; and very few make images as well so that the whole drive, or system partition, can be recovered quickly and painlessly -- takes me about 20 minutes to make an image and about the same to restore it, depending on size of course, but compared with the several hours to do a clean install of the OS and applications even if you have a backup of data files.

Of those sufficiently wise and skilled to come here .... of course that is different!

Hugh
Danksagungen0

Thanks Peter -- but whatever the FF add-on does is not similar to managing in the sense of enabling the user to check in automatically as well as to access his list of logins and make changes to them? I imagine it is limited to when you are using FF of course so that a "full" password manager would be usable more widely.

For many users this might be sufficient if they don't password protect things not accessed by the internet.

This is a question ... or even two!

Hugh
Danksagungen0

huwyngr:

Thanks Peter -- but whatever the FF add-on does is not similar to managing in the sense of enabling the user to check in automatically as well as to access his list of logins and make changes to them?

The way I read the description for the add on the user noted, all it did was backup the default FF password manager.  There were no management features.

I imagine it is limited to when you are using FF of course so that a "full" password manager would be usable more widely.

Correct. It is only for the FF PW manager. Better to get a full password manager that would work with all browsers.

For many users this might be sufficient if they don't password protect things not accessed by the internet.

This is a question ... or even two!

Danksagungen0

Thanks -- I see it better now. Although many "ordinary" users would, I suspect, find something that just works with the browser they use to be sufficient ..... but how many ordinary users use other than what comes delivered with Windows?

Hugh
Danksagungen0

Try this Firefox extension

Saved Password Editor   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/saved-password-editor/

extension to add the ability to create and edit entries in the Firefox password manager. Note 1 thing make sure you close the extension when done using the Firefox password manager as it will not sign you out

Danksagungen0

Try this Firefox extension

Saved Password Editor   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/saved-password-editor/ (link is external)

extension to add the ability to create and edit entries in the Firefox password manager. Note 1 thing make sure you close the extension when done using the Firefox password manager as it will not sign you out

As long as users realize this is still using the FF password manager.

Danksagungen0

mgirons wrote:

Mine is also backed up by Windows File History on a separate hard drive, just for belt & braces, I also back up all files etc to another external drive once a week.

That's the way I do it. Even though I'm sticking with my local vault, I still use Firefox for non-critical codes, plus one backup file and a weekly image of the whole system. This provides me with a reasonable amount of confidence in the redundancy level I'm using.

Danksagungen0

peterweb wrote:

There is no such work being done. They are not trying to copy what they had. They are moving on to the new look you are seeing. There will be updates, and hopefully added features like being able to edit logins. I cannot ever see the local vault coming back in any new Norton code. We have been trying for a few years now.

There's no doubt in the mind of anyone who has followed this forum from the beginning, and even a few years before, that Norton had pulled the cord on the Local Vault. This, I believe, has become quite clear for quite a while and, IMHO, any company has the right to add or discontinue any offerings in their product line, update it, refurbish it, giving it any possible new "masks" to enhance the appeal of a particular product to a broader customer base, sometimes applying just minor tweaks from one product to another, as they feel the strategy may serve their corporate best interest...

That's reasonably fair and no sane person would complain much about it. It's the way the process has been carried out by Symantec that seems to have caused some visible heartburn to many of their customers. But I'm sure the company has taken all that into the equation and decided that their approach was the one that best served their ultimate corporate goals...

If so, I wish them good luck.

Danksagungen0

=== Deleted repeat message ===

Danksagungen0

I only use Mozilla Firefox. I was away from my desktop for a month. During this time I loaded the new identity safe add on to my laptop and it has been working fine. When I got home I attempted to log onto the identity safe add on, on my desktop, and now get a message saying "Sorry, something went wrong, please try again." I tried several times with the same results. I disabled the add on and closed Firefox. I opened it, enabled the add on and got the same results. Can anyone help??? Please

Danksagungen2 Stats

Have you restarted your computer?

Also try clicking on the ID Safe icon in FF and Sign Out of your Norton Account at the bottom of the ID Safe pop out. Restart the browser and test again.

Danksagungen0

Hello Kent

You could try deleting FF and then download a fresh copy of it and do the same thing with the add-on. Then try it. If that doesn't help, you could try a fresh install of your Norton product by using the nrnr tool.

www.norton.com/nrnr  Remember to run Live Update until no more updates and then restart.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Danksagungen0

Not sure reinstalling Norton Security will do anything. The new FF extension is downloaded from Mozilla's add ons pages. It seems it is separate from the core Norton products.

Danksagungen0

Thank's peterweb. I logged out, logged back in and got the ID Safe password logon screen. Back in business!!!

Danksagungen0

Yup Hugh. I must admit I only occasionally do the system image backup (to external hard drive). It seems to take way way more than 20 mins with my equipment. I run Windows 10 File History often, though I still haven't figured out what exactly it includes. I have only had to restore from the system image once in about 7 years, but when it is needed it is the only way. 

I appreciate your responses and feedback. It counteracts the feeling that some of us dinosaurs who have used Norton for decades but have an attachment to having stuff on our own hardware not only on the cloud  have been jettisoned by Symantec. So, thank you

My name is Ian

Danksagungen0

Thank's peterweb. I logged out, logged back in and got the ID Safe password logon screen. Back in business!!!

Danksagungen0

Hugh wrote:

...and very few make images as well so that the whole drive, or system partition, can be recovered quickly and painlessly -- takes me about 20 minutes to make an image and about the same to restore it, depending on size of course, but compared with the several hours to do a clean install of the OS and applications even if you have a backup of data files.

Ian wrote:

Yup Hugh. I must admit I only occasionally do the system image backup (to external hard drive). It seems to take way way more than 20 mins with my equipment.

I would say 20 mins. wouldn't be that bad a deal for the peace of mind and the easy recovery process in case of need... And contrary to Ian's case, I may have had to recover from an image in excess of two dozen times in the last twenty years, most often for restoring to a previous system state after having made some kind of installation or update. Also (knock on wood... )  I never faced any issue during such recoveries -- that's why (speaking of dinosaurs... ) I stick to my regular weekly full image taking, because I know I wouldn't be able to do it any other way in a moment of need...

All that said, and just out of curiosity, I do not use the most top notch and up-to-date kind of equipment but I still manage to get a full backup image of my SSD drive, with about 65 to 70 GB of apps and data, in under 10 minutes, using Acronis 2016 and an external drive with USB3 connections. So, doing a recovery in about that same amount of time really doesn't leave me much of an "excuse" to not keep following an approach that has served me so well for so many years.

Just my 2-cents worth, while we wait for the final news from Symantec on the core subject of this thread...

Cheers! 

Danksagungen0

Hi Ian

Times obviously can vary not only with size of image but with hardware.

It counteracts the feeling that some of us dinosaurs who have used Norton for decades but have an attachment to having stuff on our own hardware not only on the cloud ...

You mean me? I was using Norton Desktop for Windows way back in W96 at least!

... have been jettisoned by Symantec 

I don't think "jettisoned" is the right word. Symantec don't take steps that might lose customers -- at least their goodwill -- lightly but everyone has their priorities and their budget restrictions [especially me] and "the cloud" does have an advantage for the trending customers who are those who use portable devices. Would all these traditional Windows user companies by offering up products for Android and Mac otherwise?

I don't use Identity Safe so I don't feel a hit from the non-support for the local copy on my drive but even there there are alternatives.  I've been using a simple Password Keeper since Windows 95 and still use it on Windows 10AE and I hear good reports of Last Pass which I intend to do a trial on as soon as I have a quiet moment since I now have a laptop/tablet as well as my desktop -- and my desktop has Windows 7, 8.1 and 10AE on it multibooted ....

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.