• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen7 Stats

Norton right-click context menu missing after windows update

After updating two computers to windows 10 version 1803, Norton is missing from the “right-click” context menu on one of them. Re-installing Norton did not improve it.

It’s basically the same problem as described in this post, but the suggested solution does not work. None of the “Symantec” registry entries seem to be disabled/blocked.

Antworten

Danksagungen1 Stats

Re: Norton right-click context menu missing after windows update

Anyway I'll give it until the end of the week and if a simple fix has not been offered by then I'll request a refund and choose another Security Suite. Until then the software I paid to use is no longer functioning properly even though I do a Live Update two or three times a day.

Re reading Dick SRAM's post, his solution was not to run NRNR three times, but after he had already done that, he did a more thorough uninstall. It is this thorough uninstall that seemed to fix things.

If you are looking for a refund, check the Refund and Cancellation policy.  Scroll down to the Refund section and note....

Annual Norton subscriptions (one-year term or more, or a perpetual license):

• Unless otherwise excluded in this policy, under our 60-day Money Back Guarantee the purchase of a Norton annual subscription is eligible for a refund, if your request is made within 60 days of the date of purchase.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Danksagungen0

I too had this problem since updating my Intel desktop to Win10 Pro v1803.

I now have the 'NAV right-click context menu' back after executing Dick SRAM's 8 step solution (see his post above).

Danksagungen1 Stats

I too now have right-click context back.

Omitted steps 2,3 and 4 which seem to be unnecessary. 

Danksagungen0

I agree with Davec33. I only had to uninstall and reinstall once. I used Add or Remove Programs to remove Norton Security then (several days later) reinstalled from Norton account.  Norton right mouse context menu now back. Only minor issue is that Windows Defender Security Center shield icon in system tray takes about 1-2 minutes to show a green tick on starting.

Danksagungen0

Performing step 5, of Dick SRAM's solution, you have to choose whether to fully remove Norton or to remove Norton keeping your settings. I chose to keep my settings and that was OK.

If Dave33's suggestion that step 2,3 & 4 are unnecessary then the whole task can be done in a few minutes. Even doing all the steps it only takes about 15 minutes depending on how fast your PC re-starts.

Danksagungen0

I did the update of windows 1803 yesterday and i have my right click context working correctly so the issue is related to the windows a you can restore you windows 10 with keeping data option and the issue have to be fixed.
Danksagungen1 Stats

To be quite frank and clear, I have no intentions whatsoever to solve this issue myself.

Also I noticed another issue: drive optimization isn’t working properly anymore since Windows 1803; physical drives aren’t recognized. Therefore, the optimization feature will finish within a second. Haven’t seen this strange behaviour until 1803.

I have been very satisfied with Norton for years and I still am though.

However, I think a license expensive enough to have the opinion that it is Symantec’s proper task to offer a simple solution to their customers.

So, I will patiently wait until LiveUpdate will solve both issues.

Danksagungen0

So still no response from an official Support Admin after 9 days ? Users are left cobble together a workaround to an issue that disabled a very important feature of Norton Security. Yes I chose the wrong security company. Off to search for another....

Danksagungen0

Hello Marc

You are posting in a Thread which is marked as Solved by the original poster. That could be why Symantec Employee hasn't responded  to you. Perhaps you should create your own Thread and wait until during the week. It might also be helpful if you contacted Customer Support.

www.norton.com/contactcs 

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Danksagungen0

The thread wasn't marked as solved until yesterday. Nine days after Support said " We are aware of this issue and the team is investigating now".  No response since then and users were left to find a workaround to fix the issue with no help from "Support". That is unacceptable. We're not even sure if the workaround has fixed all the issues caused by the Win 10 update since there has been no official word from Norton. We are customers of Norton not employees. It's not our job to fix issues with their software. 

Your loyalty is commendable but blind loyalty serves no one. Like I said it's quite apparent I have chosen the wrong security company. The search continues......

Danksagungen2 Stats

This is not the first time a Window major update has hosed some software. Not just a Norton issue. The way MS develops these major updates is with daily rebuilds of the OS. Any developer of Windows apps can only work with what they have at the time they are testing. Then they develop for that 'current' version. Then they have to test. In the mean time, MS may have released one or more daily builds, that could affect/break the work done by the developer.

This issue you are seeing does not affect every Windows user. I do not have the problem and I just let the Windows update come through. If it was every user affected, it would be easy for Norton to diagnose. There may be some commonality with the users seeing this issue, but without logs and telemetry from enough users it is not an easy fix.

Norton is not the only software that can benefit from a fresh install when some bits go astray. So research your alternatives carefully. I doubt you will fine one that has never required a reinstall to fix some issue.

With the millions of combinations of hardware and software in the world, I am often amazed that any new software version or OS update works at all.

Danksagungen0

Since this weeks update to WINDOWS 10 1803 I no longer have the option, in Explorer, to scan directories or singe files. I've had a trawl the the community and found a possible answer that mentions downloading NortonNISDownloader.exe  - I have tried to find this without success. I have tried running the NRNR tool and restarted twice but the SCAN option points to MALWAREBYTES not Norton.

1. Do I need to remove MALWAREBYTES ? (only run on demand)

2. Is NORTON still working on a solution or is the complex uninstall -restart/reinstall-restart/uninstall again - restart/reinstall again - restart procedure the only way I can get back to being able to use NORTON to scan individual directories and files.

Danksagungen0

I always have multiple issues following every Windows 10 update and it takes days of hard work to restore my PC to its original state, so I am not blaming Norton for this problem. However, I simply do not understand their reluctance to communicate. The last thing I want to do is reinstall the product (especially if that doesn't solve the issue) or go mucking around in the registry. So far, we know they are investigating. What we need to know is: results of the investigation; can the problem be solved by Norton and, if so, when is this likely to happen? Surely this is not too much to ask? And yet it happens every time. I am a loyal Norton customer, so I hope that the Norton Gurus and Fighters will try to represent customers concerns as well as just defending Symantec the whole time.

Danksagungen0

Hello All

Please see Tech Republic article

Windows 10 users should wait to install the latest update-it's bricking some PCs This article can be found here.  It is dated May 10th.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-users-should-wait-to-install-the-latest-update-its-bricking-some-pcs/?ftag=TRE20d3f17&bhid=20618272822705464710969449386409

This article seems to indicate it is a Microsoft problem.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Danksagungen0

An interesting solution by ( DickSRAM ) Posted 08 May-2018|8:53 AM./   Success at last…! with the Yellow Norton Scan(ning) right-click Desktop ( system’s )context menu(s) feature.

Thank You !.. Norton Fighters - support group staff ..“SoulAsylum” / “Peteweb” ( Guru )/ floplol.

for your replied posts this week in connection with my titled post ; “Norton right-click context menu missing after windows update”. (sent on Sunday 06 May 2018.)

In reply to your post I have an ASUS - PC Notebook-Flip - with windows-10 Home version 1803. OS system - amd x86 x64bit architecture with an Intel(CPU).

I am not a tinker, manipulator or flasher of my new two year old hardware & newly installed OS system, and I have ever touch or manipulated the Register-editor in all of my twenty-one years digital experience, but I do indeed know how ( *knowledge . e.g. SFC files read-out = information *not a tweak.)You have misunderstood what I have said and I was not requesting assistant’s of any kind. I was only reporting the defect through my practical digital experience. And the findings and read-outs … as for example; the two images here-below. The Norton security files are all in their correct place as you can see, but not the renewed reinstalled files.

I have not tweaked anything here (*click-on to any norton files here.) ..“do you understand”. This is a data read-outed/. I have asked the computer terminal and software Information tool. “What is wrong daring!” in a CMD script, and this is a GUI window connected with CMD-terminal appearing on the screen. The Translation in English is as follow:

The Information that has given - reads as follows:

“Can not edit: there has been an error occurred when writing of the new content of the value”.

(*because they could not be reinstall onto the windows-10 - OS system./ 

/*switch-off/=settings>Apps>Apps&features>Norton security-to uninstall.)

Success at last…!

The solution to my problem the second time around was similar to the neat presentation of DickSRAM post/ Posted 08 May-2018|8:53 AM.

Except for the no.5 execution step. On my sixth attempt I did not disable Fast start-up in my Bios and before, I started to download the new installation of Norton Security Suite. I used Three Utilities Cleaners; CCleaner Professional, Wise Disk Cleaner ( Advanced ), Norton Utilities 16.0 = optimize /compact my registry and then after rebooted my system twice, before reinstalling Norton Security Suite on it, and after I right-clicked my mouse onto an icon in the desktop screen.. “low and behold” it appeared the Desktop context menu sanning feature was back in service. I finished off by updating my Norton product and giving my system a treat.. a full Yellow-Norton scan ,but I decided then to give the honor to Windows-10 version 1803 a full ( Green Defender Antivirus) system scan. It went quite Well.

Thank You !… for the contributions, The backbone of Yellow Norton’s company … The customers

N.D.

It would be nice (*in the practical sense) for Norton to pull its jeans-up over its hips and woman-up this year in approaching Microsoft-Windows as a partner in their security Windows-10 department.

Danksagungen0

People, please try to understand that although this problem was caused by a Windows 10 update the real issue here is the lack of response from Norton's "Support". Eleven days ago a post of "we're looking into it" and nothing since is unacceptable.  Not even a thank you to the user who found a workaround. No official fix through the live update process. No official instructions on how to fix the issue even if it is "uninstall and reinstall". Not even "sorry for the inconvenience". Nothing. This gives one little confidence in Norton's ability to fix these kind of issues and even less confidence that they actually care about their user base. Are we going to have to go through this every time Microsoft issues a Feature Update or other major update ? Are we absolutely sure that Norton is functioning fully and without any other issues ? No because there has not been one word from Norton. We're left to fend for ourselves. I'm paying Norton to keep their software fully functional not the community. 

I left my last security suite which is much higher rated than Norton because of the same lack of support and inability to solve issues and fix bugs. Yes software can sometimes break and can frequently have bugs but it's how the developer responds to problems that defines their worth to paying customers.

For the record I have updated all four of my Windows 10 computers and none of them were bricked. The only issue the update caused on any of them was with Norton.

There is no perfect bug free software but the search for a company that can provide adequate post-sales support continues.

Danksagungen0

Your not the only one who is having this issue i'm having it as well since upgrading to 1803 there's no norton scan option in explorer as well. And i've removed malwerebytes as well from my computer.

Danksagungen0

Hello

Have you both tried uninstalling your Norton product using

www.norton.com/nrt  Uninstall Only, restart computer.

Go to MyNorton.com , login and download the correct program from there.

Please remember to run Live Update until there are ver your settings including turning off Fast Startup in your Windows Power Management Settings.

Please check if your missing context menu is present now.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Danksagungen0

Did that using the norton reinstall and remover tool. and it did'nt work but solved the problem reading another thread here.

I went in the apps uninstalling norton anivirus and restarted. But kept the nortonnavdownloader, used that the redownloaded it. Thus the context showed up again.

Though i always have the fast statup option off but once i updated to 1803 the fast startup came back on thus had to turn it off again.

Danksagungen0

Same problem here.

Danksagungen0

The delay while Norton work out what to do about issues between their software and Windows is frustrating (ten PCs here - so even a 15 minute "workaround" is daunting, in terms of my time to fix a problem between Norton and Microsoft). And I've only updated 2 PCs so far, Intel CPUs but different brand PCs, and the context menu issue has appeared on them both.

Danksagungen0

as the previous topic has been marked as "solved" I'm creating a new one. Reinstalling Norton on 5 devices isn't the solution here. I've already had to do this a few months ago when norton went from being 32bit to 64 bit. Can't be doing this every few months. If that's the solution then I need to find something else that's stable and doesn't need reinstalling every few months.

Anyway...

Right click context menu is gone after upgrading to windows 10 1803 on all devices

Danksagungen0

yeah so I created my own thread which was merged with this one despite this being marked as solved and the solution being to reinstall everything AGAIN which isn't a solution. Can't keep reinstalling norton every few months - you having a laugh? If this isn't acknowledged I'll be going elsewhere. Looks like the norton team did not bother testing their products with the 1803 update as that issue should have come up there and then and we'd have a fix by now...... 

Danksagungen1 Stats

I am as frustrated as anyone else about this issue, but, sadly I think we are all kidding ourselves here. We fondly imagine that Symantec reads the posts on this forum and takes some notice of them; I don't think that is the case. And they couldn't care less about a few hundred customers moving elsewhere - it would take tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of defectors before they would respond. And in any case, where do we go? There are a few security programs more highly rated than Norton, but I doubt if their response (or lack of it) would be any different.

If they do come up with a fix, then it will be quietly wheeled out in the updates without any announcement or they simply won't bother. Symantec is just the same as other large corporations like Microsoft and Google.  I find the forum useful for discovering if I am the only person experiencing a particular problem, but as far as Norton is concerned, I'm afraid it is just an irrelevant talking-shop.

Danksagungen1 Stats

I do see your point and at the same time am wondering how much I need norton or any other antivirus other than something that microsoft provides for free. I can't remember the last time Norton blocked something. I don't visit any dodgy sites etc and with these issues its becoming a waste of time. Might just go with the standard windows stuff and not worry about it. It's nice to have a piece of mind but tbh that was gone when norton security dropped out of my norton when they moved from 32bit to 64bit. For all I know it's broken again and I'm just thinking all is well....

Danksagungen2 Stats

I did no effort to install windows update 1803, and I expect the same to keep Norton product working. I wouldn't expect from Norton less than releasing an immediate fix for this bug from their end, and to well pre-test their products on Microsoft beta releases. Thank you.
Danksagungen0

Vendors forums have absolutely evolved from the initial concept. Now they are as much a way of keeping customers away from paid staff as they are about providing us the opportunity to help ourselves/each other. Symantec win either way - either their customers do unpaid tech support for them or their customers can wear themselves out screaming to each other without ruffling any Symantec feathers. To me, the idea of not paying them has had increasing validity. While I'm not a massive Microsoft fan they have obviously been intent on squeezing the security sector, taking as much of the market for themselves as they can. They are using well-tried strategies, mostly making sure that their Windows Defender etc. "Just works". The easier it is to use Microsoft software, and the harder to use any competitor (Symantec in this case) the greater Microsoft's share will become. If Symantec intend to stay relevant they need to be nimble and responsive - otherwise Microsoft will just eat their sector up, as they have various other sectors in the past. If Symantec just want to make as much profit as they can in the short term before openly conceding to MS then they would not want to waste resources responding to their customers.

Danksagungen0

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not updating soon on issue status. We are aware about this issue "Norton Scan option missing from Windows context menu". Our team working on this issue and will update once we have more information. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Danksagungen2 Stats

More than two weeks without a fix is unacceptable. You know you can get the Windows 10 "Features" updates before they are rolled out to the general public right ? That way you can find and fix problems before your users are left to find a workaround for themselves. It's better to be Proactive than Reactive. 

Danksagungen1 Stats

For most of us the proposed solution--finessing Registry keys--is not a solution.

For Norton nota bene: In addition to the right-click scan gone missing, the right-click does still offer the option of adding or removing the selected file to, or from, Norton backup.  So the right-click Norton feature hasn't been entirely deleted--just the scan option (which I use average 30 times a day).  Please restore it asap.

Danksagungen0

I just ran across this thread. I have the same issue that remosh and mulligan pointed out regarding the Windows Defender icon. The optimization problem pointed out by several others is also mentioned in my thread.

Also, on my primary device, I have the options to turn on/off Windows Defender Firewall, whereas on my secondary device (without the Windows update applied), it just states that Norton is managing the settings under the "Windows Defender Firewall" label.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-defender-red-icon-disk-op...

Danksagungen0

No ! It's not the first time it happened, it was the same after precedent windows 10 update nr 1709.

Norton apparently fixed it, and now it's the same with nr 1803. 

Norton is big enough to shout against Microsoft !

I beg you Norton, enough is enough !

Cheers,

Nagalty.

Danksagungen1 Stats

If you disable Norton firewall and auto-protect before you update and then enable it after the update everything will work as it did you will not lose anything and the right click will also be fine. I have done it both ways on 10 computers 5 without and i will lose the right click 5 disabling Norton firewall and auto-protect and i lose nothing. On the 5 that lost it I uninstalled Norton and restarted then ran Norton Remove tool rebooted and did not let it reinstall, went to my account and reinstalled that way and that also fixed the other 5 computers. Takes about 8 or 9 min for that then do the updates for Norton. So the thing to remember is to disable firewall and auto-protect before you update windows windows major updates. Norton is still the best program and with Meltdown and Spectre I want the best and yes you would think Norton could put out an update in less than 24 hours to fix it as it seem without firewall and auto-protect it messes up a reg key and locks it, it seems that should be a simple fix that Norton could do.

Danksagungen2 Stats

Oh, for heavens sake! I'm not messing around like that every time there's an update. I'll do without the sodding right-click scan facility.

Danksagungen1 Stats

It's not every time its only with the  major update version change and your right if you do not need right click scan its no big deal, I do use it so to me it is worth it. Its also is fast if you disable them before the update less than 4 sec to do that..Norton should do a fix so it never happens again as it has. But to each his/her own ans I'll stick with Norton till a better service comes along..as of now, none better..I just thought some people in here who does use the right click may want to know about the faster way of  disabling Norton firewall and auto-protect before a major update version.

Danksagungen0

Does NortonNISDownloader.exe still exist then? The download file I have is NortonNSBUDownloader.exe which I presume will work just the same?

Danksagungen0

Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.

Danksagungen1 Stats

StevoG:

Does NortonNISDownloader.exe still exist then? The download file I have is NortonNSBUDownloader.exe which I presume will work just the same?

The NIS refers to Norton Internet Security (an older product line), and NSBU is Norton Security with BackUp, the newer product line. If you download the product from your Norton Account, it will download the appropriate down loader for your product.

Danksagungen0

Thanks for the info themike - have not done my update yet so this is good to know in advance.

Danksagungen0

Well after two goes at totally uninstalling Norton as described above and reinstalling with the NortonNSBUDownloader, I have my right-click scan option back. At the first attempt I neglected to uncheck the periodic scan option and used the Norton path to uninstall, which didn't retrieve the right-click (I filled in the quick survey asking why I was uninstalling, answer being the right click problem).  I guess this reverted the uninstall from Windows, to function like the  NRnR (that hadn't worked previously). The second time I unchecked the option to periodically scan and ignored Norton altogether. This retrieved the right-click to scan but I've noticed the shred-file option has disappeared from the right-click drop-down options. I don't know if this happened with the Windows update or with the Norton uninstall. I guess I'll just go back to overwriting sensitive files with larger files, when I need to. It's a most unsatisfactory situation and Norton should sort it out ASAP. 

Danksagungen1 Stats

@StevoG

This retrieved the right-click to scan but I've noticed the shred-file option has disappeared from the right-click drop-down options.

Maybe I am missing something here. I never lost my right click for Norton on the Win 10 Spring Update. But I never saw a shred option, before or after the Win update.

What program was doing the shredding. Are you sure it was Norton? AFAIK, there is no file shred option in the Norton Security products. Unless you have Norton Utilities. But I have NU and never had a shred option.

Danksagungen0

I also have never had a shred-file with Norton Security

Danksagungen0

I just noticed that suddenly the option to scan files by right clicking files in file explorer and then selecting "scan with" has disappeared. Is this due to a Norton or Windows 10 update and can this be fixed somehow? Thank you.

Danksagungen0

Danksagungen0

I think meant from the right-click drop-down when right-clicking a file. The Norton scan disappeared, but so did my shredder. The shredder was separate from the Norton options I recall. However, Norton used to have a shredder didn't it?  

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v53092630_End...

Danksagungen0

I believe there was a shredder in Norton Utilities long ago, but I thought I was the only user old enough to remember back that far ;)
Danksagungen0

Ha ha. Yes age can be a problem. That maybe why I was struggling to remember whether the shredder was located in the Norton options or not. Probably because I never installed it myself. Anyway, it clearly wasn't, so it looks as if things other than Norton may be affected/removed by Windows 10 updates. I know in the past that people have had actual files removed from their hard drives due to updates. It doesn't inspire much confidence in Microsoft does it? 

Danksagungen0

Just upgraded to Windows 10 1803 yesterday and have the same problem. I had just dl a file that is save but new and Norton very briefly flashed an "this file needs attention", much faster than usual. So I went to the file I had just downloaded and right clicked and viola nothing Norton there. Now this may be the only thing that was disabled but common sense warrants a look at all of Norton's inner workings. Which I hope Norton is doing, right?. Reading guru comments in this thread are not that encouraging. 

On the positive side I have used Norton many years, dropped it for a year when it became slow and bloated, but they fixed that and I think it's now the best out there. Keeping the faith, but some response from them would help a lot.

Danksagungen0

Click on the green 'solution' bar at top of this thread to find the solution to this problem.

Danksagungen2 Stats

It's not a solution it's a workaround. Solutions come from the developers not the user base. No one except the developers know for sure if Norton is really functioning 100% after the Win update. This topic should never have been marked as solved. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.