• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen2 Stats

Thoughts on Core and its future

The total silence on the subject of the future of Core is very astonishing. Any customer-facing information in any "official" capacity is not going to happen. Where I think the actuality of Core after EOS is, Core will be allowed to die off and become just a failed mantle piece. Nothing has been offered per a generic firmware install from Norton which would negate the need to run a app to access the Core, and allow Core access via a web-browser as other routers have. Instead. Selling N360 bundled with Life Lock, a company that they should never have purchased, seems to be the product line going forward. The future of Core in the only statement on record states "They are working on a software solution vice the hardware to replace Core". The new product line now available IS the only solution I can see. There, is our answer in the absence of an official one. Anyone with a better idea please share.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Labels: Firmware

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Thoughts on Core and its future

This is interesting, as i thought that "Core" was a relatively new initiative by Symantec.  That said, from LifeLock's inception, i've always questioned its purpose and if people really needed it - - or, if it was something opportunistic, that might actually jeopardise people's critical information....

Thanks as always for sharing with the community,

H.B.   

Danksagungen3 Stats

Norton has basically thrown Core owners out of the plane without a parachute. No formal notification, no details of any path forward, no interest in keeping us (many of whom are loyal and long-term Norton customers) informed.

The person who obviously has the responsibility and authority to provide notification and information (Matt Boucher, VP of Engineering’ Norton Core / Norton Cloud Services
Norton Backup / Norton Family, Symantec Corporation) refuses to respond to simple questions.

My comments/questions from an earlier post:

“Matt,

As "VP of Engineering
Norton Core / Norton Cloud Services
Norton Backup / Norton Family
Symantec Corporation"

You should be able to answer this question: If my Core fails this afternoon (it is, after all, just a piece of hardware) what is Norton's suggestion as a replacement? 

Your comment "As for the software solution, I can't comment on exactly what we are doing" is unacceptable.

Those of us loyal Norton customers (in my case since the 1980s and Peter Norton Utilities) who went through the unmitigated disaster of the Core launch and subsequent painful patching process deserve to know what, if any, path forward we have. 

In reality we were Beta testers for an unfinished (and now discontinued) product - and to say "in fact not only do we test but we use 3rd party testers that have an independent lab so we don't have to rely on our infield valuable customers." is ridiculous and insulting to those of us who experienced the Core and app issues.

Please tell us what we can expect.”

The saddest thing for me is that the Core now actually functions well as a secure router keeping my wired/wireless devices protected just as I hoped it would. It took much too long to get to this point and the Core still doesn’t (and never will) have many basic router functions – but it works. All Norton had to do was come up with a Core v2.0 that addressed the shortcomings since routers are regularly updated with the latest technology and the Core would have become obsolete anyway.

Since I now feel a secure router that protects all wired/wireless device attached to it is a necessity, my plan for if the Core fails in the near term is to replace it with an ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band WiFi Router, Aiprotection Lifetime Security by Trend Micro, Aimesh Compatible for Mesh WiFi System, Next-Gen WiFi 6, Wireless 802.11Ax, 8 X Gigabit LAN Ports. If the Core continues to function until end of support, I'll replace it with whatever the best choice is at that time.

I would like to at least keep the Norton endpoint products for my PCs and cell phones, but that depends on how the Norton 360/Norton Security issue plays out for current Core owners.

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Danksagungen2 Stats

If your Norton Core fails this afternoon and it's still under warranty we would replace it. If however it is out of warranty, you have the option of buying any router you feel fits your needs.

From an engineering perspective, we continue to update Norton Core and it's underlying software and services that contribute to it's ability to protect your devices and home. As I mentioned already we are continuing to evolve our software version of Norton Core, but it's not something we can share publicly.

I hope you can appreciate how much work and effort has gone into Norton Core, and although it's sounds simple to say just come up with Norton Core v2.0 and all the problems will be solved, it is much more complex than that.

Danksagungen2 Stats

Matt,

I was one of the earliest to order a Core (order confirmation email dated 1/5/2017). I received my Core in August 2017 and an email about "the Core Security Plus subscription expires on August 30, 2018" which then became an "automatic renewal."

The warranty was one year from date of device activation. My Core is about a year out of warranty.

There has never been a formal announcement of the Core being discontinued. 

You are saying that Norton has no solution for anyone whose Core is out of warranty, that you can't tell us what the evolving software solution is (or when it might be available), and that we should go buy a competitor's product if the Core fails. Ok.

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.