• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen1 Stats

Password Manager/Identity safe extension causing serious problems with Microsoft Edge Browser

Hi,

Since the latest update the Norton Identity Safe for Microsoft Edge is causing serious problems when browsing. Pages are slow to load, images do not appear and pages are slow when scrolling. If I remove the extension everything works fine, but when I re-install the extension all the problems return. Please Norton can you fix this ASAP ?

Antworten

Danksagungen1 Stats

Re: Password Manager/Identity safe extension causing serious problems with Microsoft Edge Browser

I have been using Norton Extensions successfully on Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft Edge has not become unworkable due to a recent Windows 10 upgrade.

Whilst I try to fix this problem I am now using Internet Explorer but I find password manager is not working or popping up when I log into a web page. I am having to look up the password and then manually type in the log in details which is not secure at all as the whole point is to not key in the details and let Norton fill in the boxes without key presses.

Norton toolbar is displayed on Internet Explorer

Danksagungen0

Re: Password Manager/Identity safe extension causing serious problems with Microsoft Edge Browser

Hello Molly. In Windows settings set IE as your default browser and reboot. When done open IE to your home page of choice. Under Tools click "manage add-ons". Under Toolbars and Extensions check for the Norton Toolbar AND Norton Password Manager as being enabled. If one or both are not enabled, enable them. Close and restart IE. Let us know if things changed for you.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Danksagungen1 Stats

The latest version of the Norton Password Manager extension for the Microsoft Edge browser causes serious performance issues. Involving slow rendering of pages, scrolling, etc. Sometimes the browser pauses as long as 10 to 20 seconds. This started sometime in the last week.

If I disable the browser extension and restart the Edge browser, the performance returns to normal.

If I enable the browser extension and restart the Edge browser, the serious performance issues return.

Danksagungen0

The latest version of the Norton Password Manager extension for Microsoft Edge browser causes serious performance issues. Involving slow rendering of pages, scrolling, etc. Sometimes the browser pauses as long as 10 to 20 seconds. This started sometime in the last week.

If I disable the browser extension and restart the Edge browser, the performance returns to normal.

If I enable the browser extension and restart the Edge browser, the serious performance issues return.

Danksagungen0

Good Morning,

Thank you Reflex you have just described my issues with Microsoft Edge. I didn't realise it could be Norton Password Manager that was causing the problems. I have now abandoned using Microsoft Edge and am now using Google Chrome which is super fast at everything. I did try Internet Explorer briefly, hence my question, but was advised not to to use it. Hope the issues get sorted soon.

Danksagungen0

I agree!  This is a serious problem.  Does not seem to affect IE or Chrome, just Edge and is completely repeatable!  Was this tested?

Danksagungen0

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Edge runs very slowly or even hangs up when the Norton Password Manager extension is enabled. Chrome runs fine with the extension enabled. Not sure if this started before or after I updated to Windows 10 build 1903. My primary browser is Edge. Now this has forced me to move to Chrome. Please help Norton!

Danksagungen0

For me it definitely started BEFORE 1903, because I was hoping 1903 would fix the problem.  Contacted support and they did a complete network diagnostic, including DNS entries, as well as Symantec diagnostics.  Then they reset Edge and finally uninstalled Edge and reinstalled it.  No change to the problem: Password Manager enabled: Edge severely impacted.  Password Manager disabled and immediately the problem goes away.  My ticket was escalated and I am waiting for a callback.

Danksagungen0

All: I just tested Edge with multiple tabs open, NPM active, SafeWeb active, WITH IE11 also open in the background and 5 tabs opened. I didn't see any significant system degradation. NPM is version 6.5.0.4 / Safe Web is version 3.8.0.6 / Edge is version 44.18362.267.0 / EdgeHTML is version 18.18362. I'm on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 12GB memory, Quadcore CPU @ 2.84 GHz and connected wireless to Norton Core router. Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1903 build 18360.267. I'd like to ask each of you to review the versions of NPM / Edge / Safeweb (if installed) so we can compare to assist.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Danksagungen0

More info: Looking at CPU Usage in the Resource Monitor you will find that MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe is the offending process. There is one for every tab in the Edge browser. If the tab contains a page from a domain for which you have a password then this process will spike CPU Usage to 25% for an indefinite period of time when the tab is refreshed. In my case, Outlook.com and Amazon.com are the worst examples. Multiple open tabs will multiply the effect (e.g. 1 Outlook + 2 Amazon tabs will consume almost 100% of CPU usage). I'm guessing that Norton is monitoring each tab for UserName/Password forms to fill.
Danksagungen0

Looking at CPU Usage in the Resource Monitor you will find that MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe is the offending process. There is one for every tab in the Edge browser. If the tab contains a page from a domain for which you have a password then this process will spike CPU Usage to 25% for an indefinite period of time when the tab is refreshed. In my case, Outlook.com and Amazon.com are the worst examples. Multiple open tabs will multiply the effect (e.g. 1 Outlook + 2 Amazon tabs will consume almost 100% of CPU usage). I'm guessing that Norton is monitoring each tab for UserName/Password forms to fill.

Danksagungen0

I'm experiencing the problem on Edge with only a single tab open and NPM as the only installed extension.

With the NPM extension disabled it works smooth as glass. Chrome works fine with extension enabled.

Edge 44.18362.267.0

Edge HTML 18.18362

NPM 6.5.0.4

Windos 10 Pro x64 1903 18362.267

Danksagungen0

Thanks for the feedback twm3, much appreciated. The screenshot below is what I am seeing on this machine. One IE tab (homepage), Edge has 9 separate instances / running processes and the CPU value fluctuates up and down. Never went above 60% and didn't stay there for more than a few seconds. The memory usage values stays constant before getting this screenshot.

One suggestion I can submit is removal of the NPM extension and reboot the machine. Reinstall the NPM extension and ensure Edge is set as the default browser so Norton will see it as such. I also have fast startup DISABLED on all my machines since it can cause installs, large and small to corrupt. You all may want to check that setting as well. Here is how .

Danksagungen0

Edge Browser Tabs:

1) Outlook.com    2) Amazon.com    3) Norton.com

CPU Usage stayed near 100% for about 3 minutes.

Danksagungen0

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Can you please provide below information for further investigation? 

- Norton password Manager extension version number

- Microsoft Edge browser version number

- Are you facing browser performance issues with any particular websites? Can you please share websites urls where you are facing performance issues with Norton Password Manager extension enabled?

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Danksagungen0

Windows 10 Home 1809 17763.615
Microsoft Edge 44.17763.1.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.17763
Norton Password Manager 6.5.0.4

Websites:

• Outlook.com (My email account. This is where I first noticed the problem. At times almost unusable. I now disable NPM to read email.)
  • Amazon.com
  • Norton.com
  • Generally any website that I have added to the password vault. Some are worse than others. Somewhat erratic. Seems to be related to how often the page is refreshed.
Danksagungen0

Reflex. In your screenshot, I see Smartbyte installed on your system. This is Dell bloatware and causes issues that are discussed in this Dell forum. Their suggestion is to uninstall it and reboot. I might suggest that you do so and recheck for any changes in your issue. If you have Dell Support Assistant I recommend removing it or get the latest version as well. There is a known vulnerability in that program as discussed here. I had performance issues with the new Dell some time ago, removal of these two programs solved that issue for me. It may be that these could be causing conflicts on your system as well. Just a thought.

Cheers

Danksagungen1 Stats

Uninstalled both Smartbyte and Dell Support Assistant. Reboot. Initial test suggests that I still have the NPM problem. I will continue looking at this to narrow in on the cause.

Thanks.

Danksagungen0

In response to Admin:

Norton Password Manager Ver 6.5.0.4

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0

Danksagungen0

Hello Ernie51. This issue is being discussed in this thread as well.

Cheers

Danksagungen0

I have found it easy to reproduce the NPM performance problem.
Setup:

• I have an Amazon entry in the NPM vault (url = https://www.amazon.com/).
  • I open 3 Amazon tabs (not logged in to my Amazon account) in the Edge browser (url = https://www.amazon.com/).
    1st with the NPM extension Disabled, and 2nd with the NPM extension Enabled.
  • NPM Disabled goes to less than 10% cpu in less than 30 seconds. (See image below)
  • NPM Enabled goes to greater than 90% cpu for more than 10 minutes (I gave up watching). (See image below)

Danksagungen0

The running process dell.d3.winsvc.exe in your screenshot is NOT a windows system file and is using over 600 threads. This is a remnant of Support Assistant or could be a process that has been hijacked somehow. I would get Rkill from this link and run it to check for malicious processes. It is perfectly safe. When it has finished it should either say it terminated processes or found none. If it does find them and has terminated them get Malwarebytes and run a full scan. It runs perfectly with Norton products and will look for things Norton does not. In both instances please let us know what is found or if nothing was found. This is just a hunch I have about things from what I can observe in your posts.

Cheers

Danksagungen0

In response to admin:

Edge 44.18362.267.0

NPM 6.5.0.4

Go to homedepot.com, select any product, select a product image. Try clicking on several images back to back to view different product images and you will see the screen either freeze at a white screen or just not display the image at all. After 10 to 30 seconds the browser recovers the selected image usually.

Disable NPM extension and restart browser and repeat above and problem is gone. Images and video pop up almost instantly when selected one after another.

Also you have to enable the NPM extension and restart the browser for the problem to return.

Chrome..... no problem with NPM extension installed.

Danksagungen0

In response to information request:

Edge:
Microsoft Edge 44.18362.267.0
Microsoft Edge HTML 18.18362

Norton Password Manager
Version 6.5.0.4
Uninstalled 8/11/2019
Reinstalled 8/11/2019  from Microsoft Store
Problem started over a week ago however.

Problem is reproduceable browsing to https://www.msn.com/
Normally this site load 100+ little windows almost instantly with Norton Password Manager disabled.
With Norton Password Manager enabled, they load very slowly, ones near the bottom of the page may never load.

Also any Amazon.com site for a particuar product that shows small pictures on the left will pop up the pictures very slowly, if at all.

Danksagungen1 Stats

Uninstalled dell.d3.winsvc.exe (and other Dell flotsam) and reboot. Retested with my Amazon.com tests. Same test results.

NPM Disabled, 3 tabs of Amazon.com, CPU Usage < 10% in less that 30 seconds.

NPM Enabled, 3 tabs of Amazon.com, CPU Usage > 90% for longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks.

Danksagungen0

Hello everyone - thank you for reporting the issues and we apologize for the impact you are experiencing.

Can you please help us with our research on the issue by sharing

1) your version of Edge browser (at the bottom of the "Edge Settings and more" window)

2) your version of Windows 10 (from the "Windows Settings / System / About" area)

3) the home page setting you are using - which site is loading slowly

Thank you,

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

Danksagungen0

Hi Matt,

Most of the action for this issue (including the info you request) is taking place under "Password Manager/Identity safe extension causing serious problems with Microsoft Edge Browser".

Thanks

Danksagungen1 Stats

All: I had IE11 open with ONLY my home page up.....I then opened Edge with tabs to Amazon AND Outlook dot com. Please note the advert in the far right corner of the Outlook site. As well as the CPU core temp. I ALSO had 92% CPU usage consistently for over 3 minutes, the CPU temp continued to climb as I annotated in the screenshot, until I closed Edge. This was with 2 browsers opened at the same time. Quad core CPU and 12 GB system memory. A good stress test but definitely NOT GOOD!!  @Sunil_GA 

Danksagungen0

I am speculating here but could this be caused by page refresh occurring on the offending Edge browser tabs (e.g. Outlook.com, Amazon.com)? Would this cause NPM to scan for Username/Password forms to fill? I noticed that when running NPM Disabled that each Amazon.com tab had a very consistent 1% or 2% CPU hit every 2 seconds or so. Might this be triggering NPM to scan for forms? This would be bad, right? Any website with frequent refresh is potentially a problem.

Danksagungen0

Excellent point of view. I'm looking at all my system event logs to find more info.

Cheers

Danksagungen0

I am having the very same issue. When the extensions are active the browser is essentially unusable. CPU pegs on browser launch and stays high. Turning off the extension allows the browser to behave normally. It is easy to reproduce. The Norton guys spent 3+ hours on my box yesterday. They found nothing. And FWIW - this started late last week. So I have to assume there was some significant change to Norton.

Here is my version info:

Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362

And for others, it doesn't matter which page(s) are opened. CPU usage stays high until the extensions are disabled.

Lastly, either of the extensions - Password Manager or Safe Web will cause the issue.

Danksagungen0

Eventually, it could be a recent Edge- upgrade? Same problem here, awaiting Norton's reaction

Danksagungen0

I'm on version 1903, build 18362.295. The only Edge updates recently have been security related. And there was an update yesterday that did just that for Edge and every other Microsoft browser.

As I mentioned in the above post, this started for me late last week so I have to assume this is purely a Norton/Edge compat issue.

Danksagungen0

I agree, but the incompatibility could eventually be introduced via an Edge update, not communicated to Norton...

My versions :

• Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0
  • Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362
  • Win10 Pro / 1903 / 18362.239
Danksagungen0

I started experiencing this issue on 8/2/2019 or 8/3/2019.

1. Microsoft Edge 44.18362.267.0

2. Windows 10 Pro 1903   (OS upgrade was on 7/7/2019).

3. Websites are generally slower in rendering until I turn off the extension.  I first saw this when selecting a video to play on youtube.com as well as those on msn.com with the playlist rendering slowly and/or the video not playing. This abnormal behavior was also seen on websites were I do not have an account in the vault such as zazzle.com.  I would click on product listings and at times nothing happens.

Danksagungen0

Wondering if the SHA-2 signing issues could be related. Browser extensions, MS monthly update seem to be causing issues for me. Although I don't regularly use Edge I do know MS is kicking it to the curb for the new Chromium based browser. IE has begun to act like an undisciplined child as well.

Danksagungen0

I'm suffering the same problems (the majority of pages very slow to load when NPM extension activated, fast to load when NPM extension deactivated).

My versions :

• Microsoft Edge 44.18362.267.0
  • Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362
  • Win10 Home / 1903 / 18362.295
Danksagungen0

Hello, I have Windows 10 on my desk top compute and use Microsoft Edge. Lately I have been experiencing very very slow response every time I go on the Internet? I have Norton 360 Deluxe downloaded. I would like to change my browser to Google Crome. Will I have to re download Norton?  I tried to make Google Crome my browser but looks like Norton didn't transfer over the Password Manager, VPN,Cloud or the ID Theft.  Not sure how to fix my problem with Microsoft Edge, hope you can help?

Sincerely, Debbie

Danksagungen0

Hi Debbie:

See Symantec employee Matt Powers' 12-Aug-2019 response in the thread Password Manager/Identity safe extension causing serious problems with Microsoft Edge Browser.  Norton is aware of the problem but I haven't see an estimate of when users can expect a bug fix.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Danksagungen0

Hmmmmm! Your link is pointing at this present thread. I can't see, that Matt Powers (mtp) indicates any awareness of and efforts solving this annoying problem. 

Danksagungen0

NielsSteffensen,

That was a post on a separate forem which has since been merged with this forem. Not sure who did the merge. Not sure if Matt Powers is following this forem. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get a Symantec/Norton employee to engage with this problem.

Thanks.

Danksagungen0

:We - and thousands of other Edge+Norton users - have the same common interest :-) I hope, Symantec takes action before too many have found the obvious solution - either using Chrome/Norton or Edge/McAfee 

Danksagungen0

Debbie,

The issue with Edge still exists as of this reply.

No, you do not have to reload/reinstall Norton to use Chrome.

To 'fix' Chrome, you will need to add the Norton extensions. Use the search engine of your choice. They should be easy to find. Install them, enable them and Chrome should work just fine.

Danksagungen0

Debbie,

Here's a link to the Norton extensions for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/norton.

Danksagungen0

You can use this link to install the extensions in any browser.

http://identitysafe.norton.com/client

Windows 10 x64 1903
Danksagungen0

I have to agree that the culprit has to be  NPM, Disabling improves performance of Edge dramatically.

Whether it is the chicken or the egg:-  NPM V's Edge, It truly needs to be fixed urgently. 

To maintain the performance NPM Security is vital for my needs. 

Up to 100% cpu usage when NPM is enabled in Edge.

Chrome Browser no Issues.

Symantec Corp NPW Version 6.5.0.0 (Microsoft store App)

Win 10

1903 version most recent version OS Build 18362.295

Danksagungen0

I am using Norton Password Manager with the Edge extension. Everything seems to be normal here (no more slowdowns or hung pages). I didn't do anything except run Norton 360 updates manually, as usual.

Danksagungen0

Not working here. Ran Live Update manually - I have no idea what it updated - but the extension is still not working in Edge.

Danksagungen0

Nope!  Not working.  Updates and reboot did not help.  Problem NOT solved.  

Danksagungen0

Opened Edge for the first time in a few days minutes ago. Initially, I opened 3 tabs, 4 including the start page, the following screenshot is what I was monitoring. Please note: Browser extensions are Safe-Web and NPM, both activated.

This is after allowing Edge to process the 3 sites and after a 2 minute wait.

It appears Edge is the issue, the way its now processing sites. These 3 sites DID open rather slowly.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.