• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Norton WiFi Privacy

I want to learn a little more about Norton WiFi Privacy.  I recently installed it on my iPad and iPhone.

Maybe this is a newbie question, but I am not sure how it is properly used.  If I am at an unsecured server (e.g., a hotel room), I have trouble turning the VPN on.  I had the impression that the purpose of Norton WiFi Privacy was to turn on a VPN when at an unsecured location so that some things could be secured.  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of Norton WiFi Privacy?

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Norton WiFi Privacy

Do you see a little box with VPN beside your wifi icon at the top left of the screen? If so, the VPN is already active.

You are correct in saying that it is recommended to have the VPN active when at a public wifi hotspot, like a hotel, coffee shop, etc. That way the information between your computer and the VPN server is encrypted. So no one on the same wifi hotspot can gather any information from your use of the network.

It does not hurt to have the VPN on when you are at home or on a secured network,like your workplace, but it does often reduce your connection speed due to overhead in the encryption and the longer distance the information has to travel.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

My problem was when I was in a hotel, which had Wi-Fi but was not a secure connection.  I opened Norton Wi-Fi Privacy, but I could not turn on VPN.  The button had been grayed out, so I could not get the secure connection.  Can you think of a reason why I could not turn on VPN at some locations?

Danksagungen0

Had you checked that the VPN was turned on in the iPad/iPhone Settings page?

Danksagungen0

What happens when the VPN turns off when I try to turn it on?  I have had that happen to me.

Danksagungen0

What network are you connected to when the VPN turns off?

Danksagungen0

It happened at the hotel's network and it also happens with my home network.

At home, I can connect my desktop and iPhone, but it seems to reject connecting my iPad.

Danksagungen0

What IOS version is on your iPad?

Is it just the Norton Wifi Privacy that is turning off, or is it the iPad's VPN function in Settings that gets turned off?

Danksagungen0

IOS 9.3.5--and it is the VPN function in Settings.

Akzeptierte Lösung
Danksagungen0

Do you have any other VPN products installed?

Have you tried uninstalling Norton Wifi Privacy, then restarting the iPad and reinstalling?

You might want to check in the Apple forums to see if anyone has seen this the VPN turning itself off.  https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad

Danksagungen0

I suppose that the uninstall then reinstall procedure seems to work.  I was able to get the iPad to turn on VPN.

The mystery is why it wouldn't work when I was out of town.  However, I think I will call the problem solved.  At least I know I am using Norton WiFi Privacy correctly.

Danksagungen0

Good news for now. Keep an eye on it for a while and post back if you have problems again.

It is possible that the reinstall picked up a newer version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.