• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

"Automatic Download of New Version" Setting

I am running 10 licenses of Norton Security - several of the devices are on Windows 10.  Under Administrative Settings, I have the "Automatic Download of New Version" set to OFF yet my Windows 10 devices continue to download and automatically install newer versions.  For example, on my current machine, I was running v22.16.2.22 and about an hour ago, I noticed a new "Norton Security" icon on my desktop.  Upon checking, I have been upgraded to v22.16.3.21.

In order to avoid chaos in the environment I support, I have to be able to control when these updates are installed.  The explanation for this setting suggests that the product should not be behaving in this manner with the setting OFF...

When Automatic Download of New Version is turned on, and if an update is available, your Norton product automatically downloads the update. Your computer must be connected to the Internet. Update availability may vary, depending on your product, version, and layout.

If you do not want to get product upgrade alerts, you can turn off this option. However, ensure that you have the latest product version to get world-class protection from emerging threats.

I'm hoping someone can point out something I'm doing incorrectly that's causing my choice for this setting to not be observed.

Thank you.

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: "Automatic Download of New Version" Setting

Unfortunately, that setting only stops major upgrades, like going from 22.x to 23.x.  A change in this behaviour has been requested but as yet the developers have not provided an answer.

Feel free to add your voice to that thread if you like.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Danksagungen0

I reviewed the thread you linked and you requested this change nearly 18 months ago.  I see @Tony_Weiss responded two days later with this...

I think also this functionality needs some more "updated" definition of terms. Thanks Jim, I've let the team know about your suggestion. (4116947)

And you asked for a status update five months later (in February, 2018) and received no response.  Not acceptable for Norton to let something die on the vine like this...

Not only does the option behave the same way, the description in the online help is still inaccurate.  Both this behavior and the inaccurate description of the option are MAJOR deficiencies.

After reviewing some of the linked threads, this isn't a "chicken little" scenario.  In just the last year, there were several examples cited where there was actually a bad product update that required either a rollback or disabling the product until a fixed version is released.  This is not acceptable and at least in my situation, is enough of a factor to consider evaluating other solutions.

I mean c'mon...we already get enough updates crammed down our throat from Windows 10.  We don't need our core protection products doing the same thing.

I'm hopeful for a promising response from Norton on this issue.

Danksagungen0

Unfortunately, the setting does work as it was designed. ie As Krusty13 noted it is for major version updates from 22.x.x to 23.x.x. The wording of the help information does not clearly explain this.

The recent failed/problem updates would not have been affected by this setting anyway, as they were all within the 22.x.x version numbers.

The only other option users have is to turn off Automatic LiveUpdate. But that is not ideal as you would not get the latest malware definitions in a timely manner.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

This is exactly my point...if the "Automatic Download of New Version" setting worked, turning it off would stop all upgrade-related issues regardless if they were minor or major version updates while still keeping definitions current.

Hopefully @Tony_Weiss will comment as it appeared from his earlier posting that he agreed this was a deficiency.

Danksagungen0

This is exactly my point...if the "Automatic Download of New Version" setting worked,

As we have tried to explain, that setting does work as it was designed. It was designed when Norton released a new major version every year. ie 3.x x to 4.x x to 5.x x , etc. That setting was designed to allow the early adopters to get the new version right away, while those less venturous could wait for the results from early testers. These major updates would include multiple new features at a time. Since Norton has stopped doing this major update each year, they are releasing feature updates as they become available. 

Tony did not say there was a deficiency in the functionality. As we have already noted, it is just the fact that the term 'New Version' should be better explained to describe what has been explained here. Or maybe the setting should just be removed to stop the confusion.

I think also this functionality needs some more "updated" definition of terms

And Tony is no longer with Norton.  

Danksagungen0

Here is the fully explanation of the option from the link within the product itself...

Automatic Download of New Version

The Automatic Download of New Version option automatically downloads the latest available version of your Norton product. You can update to the latest version of your product without any additional cost, as long as your product has an active status.

When Automatic Download of New Version is turned on, and if an update is available, your Norton product automatically downloads the update. Your computer must be connected to the Internet. Update availability may vary, depending on your product, version, and layout.

If you choose to install the latest version of the product, you retain your current subscription and Norton-specific settings. The newer product version installs over your current product with the same product key.

If you do not want to get product upgrade alerts, you can turn off this option. However, ensure that you have the latest product version to get world-class protection from emerging threats.

There is no differentiation between major and minor updates.  The setting does not work as described.

I am simply suggesting that since the forum threads show upgrade-related problems, as there always will be, Norton should give the user the option to accept or not accept product updates regardless if they are classified as major or minor.  At the very least, the description of the option needs to be updated to reflect accurately what this option actually does.

When it comes to unplanned, unexpected, and random updates to my core protection products, I would definitely categorize myself as "less venturous" than others.  Seems like the users that desire that behavior should be part of the EAP program and let those like myself decide when our software gets updated by using this option.

Since Tony is no longer a Norton employee, how can my request, along with the other users' sentiments, be voiced to Norton's product support/development staff?

Danksagungen0

I think we are flogging a dead horse here. We are all in agreement that there is a problem with having a setting with the current name. As you have seen from the previous posts, we have brought this up to Norton in the past. Many times.

There is no differentiation between major and minor updates.  The setting does not work as described

But it does work as it was designed.  

We could go through the Norton help files and KB articles and find many issues because of the evolution of the product that the articles have not been updated.

Seems like the users that desire that behavior should be part of the EAP program

But if you look at the EAP forum board, there may be 2 dozen active users there. So you have 24 computer configurations checking for incompatibilities. A new version may clear that hurdle but when it goes into wider release, you now have millions more combinations of hardware and software to cause incompatibilities. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast that Windows developers have to deal with.

The only way we have of making suggestions for product or documentation changes is to post in the Product Suggestions board https://community.norton.com/forums/product-suggestions

Danksagungen0

If none of the decision makers from Norton actively participate in the forums, then I agree about the dead horse.  The lack of participation in the EAP program just underscores my point that users don't want beta versions of software that protects their systems.  It appears that the solution is that everyone becomes a tester.

Let me ask this, as soon as a product release is announced (like this) how can I download that version to do my own testing?

Danksagungen0

Let me ask this, as soon as a product release is announced (like this) how can I download that version to do my own testing?

You cannot. You can only join the the EAP program if you want to test before others.

3. How can I manually install these patches?

This patch is only available via LiveUpdate, and is being released in a phased manner. You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version.

Danksagungen1 Stats

FWIW, I also believe that setting should stop minor updates as well.  As has been mentioned, there have been quite a few bungled releases over the years since the very first v22.x was released.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.