• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Dieser Thread braucht eine Lösung.
Danksagungen0

Norton interfering with Family Search website?

I took a break from working on the Family Search website. During that break I renewed/updated my Norton protection. I made no other changes to my computer. Returning to the website, I now get error loading messages when trying to attach sources. I have followed all suggestions by Family Search Support to no avail. They indicate McAfee LiveSafe can cause this problem. Is there something similar in Norton? I turned off LiveUpdate but that made no difference. I do have this same problem with a different computer using Norton. I do not have this problem on my tablet which does not use Norton. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize I don't know technical terms. Thanks!

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Norton interfering with Family Search website?

Do not turn off LiveUpdate. You need that to keep your anti malware protections up to date.

What Norton product do you now have after the renewal/update recently done?

Please post a screenshot of the message you see when trying to access that site. Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

What browser are you using, and what extensions are installed and enabled?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Danksagungen0

Thank you, peterweb.

I had LiveUpdate off for 10 minutes, just to test. (Made no difference.) It's back on.

Norton Security Deluxe.

Microsoft Edge v. 42.17134.10 with Windows 10 v. 1803. I think I have NO extensions -- I am too tech illiterate to add any. I tend to use recommended settings and accept all recommended updates.

Screenshots to follow.

Danksagungen0

This box should contain data. When first opened, the small spinning icon briefly appears and then nothing.

The information that does not appear above, also does not appear below. Same info, but instead of blank, has an error code.

Danksagungen1 Stats

To check for extensions, open Edge and click on the three dots at the top right of the screen. Then click on Extensions near the bottom of the list. Try turning off any extensions you find there and testing your Family Search  site again.  If it loads correctly, go back to the extensions and enable one and test again. Keep doing this until the page does not load correctly again. That will identify the extension that would be causing your issue. If this is the case, just disable that extension for now.

If that testing makes no difference, try clearing the browser cache and data in Edge. Again click the three dots at the top right in Edge, then click on Settings. Scroll down to Clear Browsing Data, then click on Choose What to Clear. Choose to clear Cached data and files, Browsing History, and Cookies and Saved Website Data, then click Clear. Then restart your Edge browser and test again.

Danksagungen0

I DO have one extension (Pinterest). Turning it off had no effect on the Family Search site.

I had previously cleared browsing history, cookies and saved website date, cached data and files, as instructed by Family Search Support. Did it again and restarted computer. Didn't help first time or this time.

Appreciate that I am learning things.

Danksagungen0

Can you test the site with another browser to see if it is related to the Edge browser?

If you do not have any Norton Extensions installed in Edge, the only other thing I can think of that might be related to Norton is the Firewall. To test this, right click on the Norton icon in your Windows System Tray at the bottom right of your screen. Then click on Disable Smart Firewall, choose the shortest time period, then test your web site again.

Danksagungen0

I tested the Smart Firewall and it is not a problem. 

Originally I was concerned about Norton as it was the only thing that had changed on my computer and I know Family Search has an incompatibility with McAfee.  I don't know how these things work -- It helps to have an expert  :-)  look at the situation and not find any problems. I agree it is time to check the browser.  

Thank you for your support and advice. I will pay it forward (in another venue!)  

Now off to learn about browsers...…..

Danksagungen0

If/when you test with another browser, please post back here to let us know if it worked or not.

Danksagungen0

Yes. Hope to do so within a week. I am doing this genealogy for my 91-year-old mother, so a bit of time pressure.

Thanks for your help.

Danksagungen0

Family Search site working well with Firefox -- looks like browser (Edge) was the problem.

I learned a lot. Thank you.

Danksagungen0

Thanks for posting back.

Maybe you can contact the Family Search support again and let them know that the site works with Firefox, but not with Edge. That might help them help anyone else that sees your problem.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.