• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Is there newer version of NIS for Mac

i use NIS4 for Mac for 2 years.My question is related to the release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion which we can expect in few months.

Is NIS for Mac will be available for Lion or we have to wait months (as had occur with Snow Leopard!!!) until Symantec reacts?

Also is there new version on which Symantec is working or not.There are many obvious improvements that could me made.

Thanks in advance

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Is there newer version of NIS for Mac

Symantec policy does not allow commenting on future product releases.  That said, it is safe to assume that we are aware of Lion and its potential impact on our customers.

In terms of improvements, we always welcome suggestions.  Even if you feel they are obvious, please feel free to point them out.  Obviously we can't assure any particular enhancement will make it into a release, but knowing what customers want is important to us.

Danksagungen0

I use NIS4 for long time and i also use another good Internet security packets like Intego Virus Barrier(incl.firewall), so i would suggest you that the future release to look like this:

- Completely new GUI, better if it's one module.To open firewall, antivirus or confidential to not open different window but to switch tabs for example; If Symantec keeps this interface will be better to make red button for quit available (not to quit the program but to close the widow and make it disapear from dock);

- to fix the problem when virus is found, it's marked and click delete, the window become grayed and stacks;

- update - the update system in antivirus systems is one of the more important things.Zero out attacks become successful thanks to irregular update.Every good Antivirus have to check for updates minimum at every 15 minutes (by default!).

- possibility to exclude some app/service for logging.In current version i don't want that the torrent client be logged but it's not possible to be disabled without making rules to accept connections.

- java module for update should be replaced with another due to unsupported by default JVM on Lion

- safe surf will be good idea - disable cookies, don't permit that info about browser and the systems to be emitted;

- serialization - you know that now NIS4 doesn't require serial and it's very easy to reinstall Mac OS and use NIS4 for another year; trial version;

- anti-spyware  module 

Danksagungen0

Thanks, this is useful.  A couple things I wanted to understand better:

When you say "not to quit the program but to close the widow and make it disapear from dock", I'm a little confused, because while program is still running (even with no windows open), it will remain in the dock, and that's normal system functionality.  I think I need a better idea of what your concept is here.

The second item, about the window becoming "grayed", I believe is a known issue, but just to verify: do you mean that you can't dismiss the sheet (and have to force quit the NAV app) after deleting a file from the results sheet?

Thanks,

Lee

Danksagungen0

- after install NIS4 all working modules work in background (daemons).When we need to edit something we start the GUI for them am i right? So, when we finished editing we want to close the window clicking on red dot in the left upper corner.We expect that the window closes and the daemon to keep working.

- second problem about grayed window, yes it's exactly what i mean

I hardly recommend you completely new GUI instead upgrade of existing one

Danksagungen0

OK, thanks for the clarification.  So the red button would be equivalent to the Quit menu item, within the GUI apps currently (note that quitting these apps has no effect on daemons).

One problem here, and the reason it isn't currently enabled, is there are times where some action needs to precede quitting (like finishing or cancelling an AV scan).  Unfortunately, that button cannot be enabled dynamically (as can the Quit menu item), so in those cases we would need to ask the user what to do about any current activities.  It was decided to avoid this kind of interaction by just disabling that button, but it's certainly something to consider.

Danksagungen0

You can implement dialog asking "Closing this window you're stop the scanning process.Are you sure you want to stop it?"

Before that you can check wether some action is performing.If the red-dot button is triggering close() by default you can simply subclass it and change this method.

Danksagungen0

I just tried to install NAV on Lion DP3 and its saying im running a PowerPC and cannot install. Is there a work around to install NAV on Lion?

Danksagungen0

The message sounds odd, but we can't really offer any support for a pre-release OS version.  Out of curiosity, though, is this NAV 11.0 or a later update?

Danksagungen0

Its NAV 11. You dont have any beta patches or work arounds? Has Symantec even started the process of confirming their products will work on Lion, or are you taking the wait and see approach??? I actually find this odd, out of all the vendor software I use NAV is the only one that doesnt work, or didnt come out with a working version for Lion for field testing so customers could give feedback. I installed ClamAV on it and its running fine, i just dont understand why NAV isnt ready or having anything communicated about it. 

Danksagungen1 Stats

As I mentioned in my first response about future products, company policy does not permit any comments.  There are also non-disclosure issues with Apple in this regard.  Sorry if this is frustrating, but stay tuned to this site for future announcements.

Danksagungen1 Stats

I understand that company policy states that you can't confirm much before the release of i) the new OS, and ii) the (potentially) new NIS; however you're not giving your customers much to go on.

The last time a new OS (Snow Leopard) was released in August 2009 it took Norton until late November 2009 to come out with a compatible version, so I'm sure you can understand that some existing, old, and even new customers might want more than a simple "no comment as of yet" response.  Plus, that version didn't have 64 bit support.  NOTE: Some of the new  2011 MBP's ONLY boot up in 64 bit, so hopefully you'll have 64 bit support right out of the gate.

As for one of my biggest issues that I'd like to request an improvement on with NIS for Mac: start up time.  I have a 2011 17" MBP, and I had a 2009 13" MBP prior to this and I've used your product on both.  Startup time went from approx 25 seconds without NIS on both models to well over 60 seconds, and the only difference was installing your product.  You heard the Windows users complain about slow startup, and you addressed their issues.  Why wouldn't you have tried to do the same with the Mac version?

My suggestion for a Lion NIS release: if it's not available the day Apple releases Lion (i.e. works immediately, or a patch is ready to go), then you should really revamp it from the ground up: a new GUI, Pulse updates, and a lightning fast startup time.  That will be the ONLY way you'll keep me as a customer this time around if Norton insists upon taking 3 months to release a functional version with the new OS.

Danksagungen1 Stats

To give a more clear description of new GUI interface ideas: Lion has a new Full Screen mode for applications.  Instead of just having a little window that appears over the desktop like the current version does, I'd suggest creating a full screen NIS mode with all products (NAV, Confidential, and Firewall) accessible via tabs from one full screen app.

I also don't think it would hurt to utilize some of the graphic capabilities of the OS.  Eye candy can be a huge selling point, if done correctly, and it doesn't have to drain a computer's resources to do it (i.e. think the 'flipping window' style that is in NIS 2011 for Windows. Click on something, and the window flips to reveal more options behind it).  Again: eye candy, but very attractive and pretty things sell; make it highly functional and pretty, and you'll begin to rebuild a new public image.

I would also suggest that you ensure that there is full NIS support for features like Air Drop.  Don't have pop-ups happen all the time when someone goes to use this feature.  That will frustrate customers to no end.  Perhaps you can do silent, background scans that don't lag the computer and only warn/notify if a threat is found.... Any other time: out of sight, out of mind but your customers know they're still covered.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.