• Gesamte Community
    • Gesamte Community
    • Foren
    • Ideen
    • Blogs
Erweitert

Nicht was Sie suchen? Die Experten fragen!

Danksagungen0

Online Backup Advanced rules and space calculation

I'm using Norton Online Backup version 2.  I have a couple questions about advanced rules:

It looks like the calculation of space required for the next backup does not account for folders I have excluded from the backup using advanced rules.  For example, I have a total of 54 GB of data, but I created a rule that excludes a 37 GB folder from the backup.  Since I'm starting with no files currently backed up, shouldn't NOBU's space calculation tell me I need about 54GB - 37GB = 17GB of storage space?  It seems the space calculation pays no attention to the excluded folder -- it tells me I need 54 GB of space.  Is this the way NOBU is supposed to work, or am I missing something?

Also, is it possible using advanced rules to exclude a folder and then re-include some of the folder's subfolders?  For example, I want to exclude Folder1 and all of its dozens of subfolders.  But I want to override that exclusion and include Folder1/SubfolderA and Folder1/SubfolderB in the backup.  Will I get that result if I create a rule to exclude Folder1 and additional rules to include Folder1/SubfolderA and Folder1/SubfolderB?

Antworten

Danksagungen0

Re: Online Backup Advanced rules and space calculation

I think I found part of the answer I'm looking for:  In order to exclude a folder and all its subfolders from the space calculation and from backup, it seems the rule needs to specify the excluded folder as Folder\*\* and not just "Folder".

I'm not sure yet whether I can use advanced rules to exclude a folder (and all its subfolders) and then override that exclusion to include some of the subfolders.

Danksagungen0

beebes wrote:

I think I found part of the answer I'm looking for:  In order to exclude a folder and all its subfolders from the space calculation and from backup, it seems the rule needs to specify the excluded folder as Folder\*\* and not just "Folder".

I'm not sure yet whether I can use advanced rules to exclude a folder (and all its subfolders) and then override that exclusion to include some of the subfolders.

Hi,

I have the feeling that once you exclude the folder and its subs you will not be able to get past the folder lock to get to any of the subs. If this is a one-time problem then you might consider putting a copy of the needed sub in a location that can be seen just long enough to back it up. If it is a continuing need then it almost sounds like you may need to do a little reorganizing so that you have a clear path to the folders and subs that require backup and can close off the balance.

Hope this helps

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Danksagungen0

That's correct. You cannot retroactively select files in a folder you excluded from being backed up. One way around it is to exclude specific files in that directory and and sub directories. Then it will be able to select the other contents.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.