• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 V3: Various setup/use questions

My experience is from Systemworks 2003.  I went through all the options I could find within Norton 360, but hopefully there are ways to do what I have done in the past.

1. Optimization:

A. Can I select which drive letter(s) will be defragmented? I would like to do my C: drive more frequently than my D: drive, for example.  I keep copies of my Ghost files on drive F, and I don't want to spend the time optimizing that drive ever (or very rarely; huge files!).

B. Can I see a fragmentation or drive useage map?  In SW2003, I could color code the different things like pagefile, rarely used files, unmoveable files, etc, and it shows a better (visual) representation of the degree of fragmentation, more information than what 360 gives with it's single percent.

C. I wanted to run optimization, but when it scanned, it said not needed (with the percents).  But I need to run it now in order to see if a program I have which must remain physically unmoved on the physical disk will do so, during my trial period.  Can I force optimization?

2. Virus/spyware Scan:  After 3-5 hours (next time I'll exclude the Java directory!) of scanning, it said it found one cookie.  After more searching that I would expect to need, I found it was actually a set of 5 or 6 cookies.  I selected fix, and it said items will be in quarantine if I wanted to restore any of them.  But quarantine was empty, and via some report I can't figure out how to get to right now said there was nothing in quarantine.  Have you seen this?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 V3: Various setup/use questions

My experience is from Systemworks 2003.  I went through all the options I could find within Norton 360, but hopefully there are ways to do what I have done in the past.

1. Optimization:

A. Can I select which drive letter(s) will be defragmented? I would like to do my C: drive more frequently than my D: drive, for example.  I keep copies of my Ghost files on drive F, and I don't want to spend the time optimizing that drive ever (or very rarely; huge files!).

B. Can I see a fragmentation or drive useage map?  In SW2003, I could color code the different things like pagefile, rarely used files, unmoveable files, etc, and it shows a better (visual) representation of the degree of fragmentation, more information than what 360 gives with it's single percent.

C. I wanted to run optimization, but when it scanned, it said not needed (with the percents).  But I need to run it now in order to see if a program I have which must remain physically unmoved on the physical disk will do so, during my trial period.  Can I force optimization?

2. Virus/spyware Scan:  After 3-5 hours (next time I'll exclude the Java directory!) of scanning, it said it found one cookie.  After more searching that I would expect to need, I found it was actually a set of 5 or 6 cookies.  I selected fix, and it said items will be in quarantine if I wanted to restore any of them.  But quarantine was empty, and via some report I can't figure out how to get to right now said there was nothing in quarantine.  Have you seen this?

Kudos0

Hi cglenn!

1. In Norton 360, you cannot select a specific to be optimized. When you click Run Disk Optimizations, all drives are optimized by default. However, while optimization is running, you have a "Skip" button, so you can skip the drives you don't want to be optimized. Unfortunately, defragmentation map is not available too, just an activity bar is present.

In Norton 360, optimization runs only if the fragmentation level of the disk is 15%. If the drive you want to optimize is less than 15% fragmented, optimization will not run.

2. About the tracking cookies - new Norton products (2007/2008/2009 versions) can detect tracking cookies. Such cookies cannot do harm to your system, they monitor users' surfing habits. That's why, Norton 360 detects such files as potential risks, and removes them. As cookies are temporary files, that can be safely removed, Norton 360 does not quarantine those files. But if you encounter and infected executable or archive, you'll notice that the file is quarantined. To do a test, you can visit http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm to download a virus sample and test Norton 360's real time protection or manually scan a file.

As you can see, Norton 360 is probably not customizable enough, especially for users that want more options. The program is more suitable for users that need automatic protection and automatic PC Tuneup, right after install, without having to change additional settings. For advanced users, Norton SystemWorks and/or Norton Internet Security could be a better choise.

Kudos0

I do question the wisdom of enticing users to download antivirus test files. It never fails to amuse me that; the product comes in a box or a download and when installed occasionally has a few problems or hiccups. The following scripts appear in this forum: confused, I am !

1. Use the Norton Removal Tool, reinstall the product.

2. Use the Norton Removal Tool, more than once, reinstall the product.

3. Any of the aforementioned; plus, remove the Registry Entries for Norton / Symantec after the Removal Tool, before reinstalling.

4. Any of the aforementioned; plus find all the files in ApptData and remove them, after using the Removal Tool and reinstalling.

If you're going to issue sound advice, it should have continuity. Lets have one set of instructions for a reinstall, following a dedicated problem.

Rant & Rave Over. Regards to all. AK

Kudos0

Thanks Vejdin for your help here and in other threads.  I will check out the two products you mentioned, probably next week. But before I Ghost my system back to Systemworks 2003, do you know of a quick and dirty way to fragment a drive enough so Norton will run optimization? I'd really like to test the optimization process.

Kudos0

cglenn wrote:

Thanks Vejdin for your help here and in other threads.  I will check out the two products you mentioned, probably next week. But before I Ghost my system back to Systemworks 2003, do you know of a quick and dirty way to fragment a drive enough so Norton will run optimization? I'd really like to test the optimization process.

Well, Installing lots of software (games,applications), copying the contents of CDs/DVDs to the hard drive could "help". Just don't use the whole disk space (at least 15 % of the disk should be unused for a successful defragmentation). However, I think that there is no need to test the disk optimization, nothing interesting.

Message Edited by Vejdin on 03-20-2009 06:04 PM
Kudos0

After copying a bunch of files to the C drive, I ran optimization.  But there was no ability to check which drives to skip, as you said above.  Rather, it quickly went past C and D, then went right to optimize E.  The only accessible button was "skip," and then it told me not needed in C or D, and E was interrupted.  Was this maybe in V2?

Another issue I am yet unsure about, but it appears my browsing (IE7) is slowed, that is, pages don't load right away, and they may be loading slower.  My home page is an example (a .gov site for local weather forecast and conditions).

Also, a bit of feedback:  Installing 360 messed up my sound sceme.  What it did actually was to change my personally saved sceme with new settings, so I could not simply re-apply my sceme.  I somewhat understand it adding 3 items under a new Symantec category (turning on two of them), but it also turned on the windows startup, windows shutdown, and every time I click my mouse, I'd get a click sound.  Fixed now.

Kudos0

cglenn wrote:

The only accessible button was "skip," and then it told me not needed in C or D, and E was interrupted.  Was this maybe in V2?

And I was talking exactly about this button. There is no chance to skip drives before you run the optimization process.  Drives C and D were skipped because they were not fragmented enough.

I agree with you that IE 7 works somehow slower after installing Norton 360. The slowdown occurs as a result of Norton 360's phishing protection, according to my experience. That's why I switched to Firefox 3 - much faster, even when Norton 360's phishing protection is turned on. If you prefer to use Internet Explorer, I have good news. Internet Explorer 8 final version is already available on the internet, and it seems to work faster than IE7. I've already installed IE8, and I'm satisfied. So my suggestion is - update your IE version.

Kudos0

I might try IE8.  I realized another reason for slower loads is the Norton firewall lets lots through that Zone Alarm did not, for example, animated ads.

BTW, purchasing the new systemworks or NIS is too expensive, since I have 2 computers, and I'd still need other software to fill in what either does not give me.

Thank-you for your help!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.