• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Can I recover my Norton 360 after I do a system recovery on my computer?

I have version 2.05 of Norton 360 and I want to do a System Recovery using my discs which came with my Sony Vaio computer.  I want to know if I will be able to reload Norton 360 and recover my backed up files.  Also, I noticed the only files backed up were files on my C drive, is there a way to back up files on my D drive?

Thanks

bill

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can I recover my Norton 360 after I do a system recovery on my computer?

I have version 2.05 of Norton 360 and I want to do a System Recovery using my discs which came with my Sony Vaio computer.  I want to know if I will be able to reload Norton 360 and recover my backed up files.  Also, I noticed the only files backed up were files on my C drive, is there a way to back up files on my D drive?

Thanks

bill

Kudos0

nikkos_71 wrote:

I have version 2.05 of Norton 360 and I want to do a System Recovery using my discs which came with my Sony Vaio computer.  I want to know if I will be able to reload Norton 360 and recover my backed up files. [ ... ]

Thanks

It will help if you tell us -- 

Do you have installation media / downloaaded file for N360 V2?

Have you opened a Norton Account with the KEY for activation stored in it?

Do you have a record of the KEY

Is your subscription still in force with unexpired days?

And while you are at it, what version of Windows are you using including Service Packs although that is not directly related.

Hugh
Kudos0

I am using Window XP.  When I purchased Norton 360 I got an email with the following:

Extended Download Service    

Norton 360 Version 2.0 Upgrade   

I purchased it in October for a year.  Sorry not computer savvy here so don't know if this information if what you were looking for.

<<Edit: Removed product key and serial number from the post>>

Message Edited by TomV on 03-20-2009 10:11 PM
Kudos0

nikkos_71 wrote:

I am using Window XP.  When I purchased Norton 360 I got an email with the following:

Extended Download Service    

Norton 360 Version 2.0 Upgrade   

I purchased it in October for a year.  [ ..... ]

Well firstly you are entitled to a free upgrade to the current version of N 360 which is version 3. This uses the same high speed light weight technology as NIS/NAV 2009 that came out last October but that has been updated in N360 V3 and came out last month.

However let's get Symantec Staffers to confirm that there is no problem recovering V2 backups with V3 software.

I don't know exactly how extended download works -- whether today it downloads V2 or V3.

A question I should have asked is whether your backup files are in the free on line space Norton offers or on your own media somewhere? If on your own media is that a CD/DVD or on your hard drive? If on your hard drive is it the main one or do you have more than one hard drive?

Let's put together all the information and I'll try and get someone from Symantec to deal with the actual situation.

Oh -- I'd better ask whether you are located in the USA/CAN or elsewhere to make sure you get the right download information for your locality.

No problem with not being computer savvy -- we all learned by doing <s>

Hugh
Kudos0

Currently I have all the files on my D drive.  I was in the process of backing up on usb storage and writing them to data cd's on CDRs.  I am in the US.  I then went back in and backed some up to the free online storage which is provided by Norton.  Question also, I use a wireless modem to connect to internet but I can't find the installation disc.  If I back this up as well, can I use this to install once I do the system recovery?
Kudos0

As I said I'm gathering data to help anyone who can help you.

You have so many instances of backup floating around that I've lost track! <s>

You did not say what version of Windows did you?

What do you mean by "wireless modem"? Do you mean a wireless card in a laptop to link to a wireless router/hub that connects to the internet? How do you connect to the internet -- cable, DSL .....

I suggest you stick your basic question about N360 backup and recovery and be very specific about what you have backed up.

Hugh
Kudos0

Sorry for the confusion.  I will start fresh here.  I have Windows XP.  I have Norton 360 installed.  I am currently backing up all media files onto external drives, so I won't need these backed up with Norton.  I am rerunning a backup scan to basically save favorites and any other files it would normally save.  I am assuming all my passwords in Identity Safe will be saved.  I have my key for when I perform my system recovery.  I am in the US and I connect through a wireless modem.  So I guess the question boils down to will I be able to go to the Norton website after my system recovery and using my key reinstall Norton?  I have read somewhere that the Norton 360 v 2.05 may not be available and I may have to upgrade to 3.0.  What precautions do I take to ensure recovery of all my backed up files?

Again, sorry for the confusion, I have been trying to perform this system recovery for quite some time and am going to hopefully be ready tomorrow if I can get these questions answered.  Thanks.

bill

Kudos0

Thanks for your patience.

I wouldn't count on getting a complete answer by tomorrow since there are fewer Symantec Staff around at weekends, and they have had a hectic week or so!

If you want to be sure about getting your N360 V2 see what happens if you use the extended download and make sure you SAVE the file and not RUN it.

About Identity Safe -- see if your Help / About has this which is from V3:

Backup Identity Safe Data

Lets you back up the Identity Safe data in .npm file format

You should back up all of your Identity Safe data.

Restore Identity Safe Data

Lets you restore the Identity Safe data from the backed up .npm file

You can use this option when you have reset your Identity Safe options but you want to revert to your backed up Identity Safe data.

If you want to be absolutely sure about your backups -- make another set not using N360 .....

Safe the data along with your media on the external drive you are using. Does it have the .npm extension?

Hugh
Kudos0

nikkos_71 wrote:

Thanks

bill

I am sure a Symantec staffer would jump in and answer to your questions. However let me try to answer those.

If you have purchased a Norton 360 Version 2.0 product and you are using the extended download service to download your product, you will be still receiving the Version 2.0 product (you will not get the 3.0 version). Since you have a valid subscription for your Norton product, you can upgrade to the Version 3.0 without any additional cost. Once you have upgraded to V3, you can still restore the files that you have backed up in V2 using the secure online storage.

Vineeth--

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.