• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

strange IP on boot up

when I turn on my computer and log onto the internet, I will get these messages in system log of muy NAV2008

Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" (IP address: 192.168.1.64).

then within 45-60 seconds the following message

IP address 192.168.1.64 has disappeared and is no longer being protected.

then a few seconds later  I'll get my IP address from my ISP

what does this mean?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: strange IP on boot up

Are you on wireless?
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos1 Stats

This means just what it says.  Your adapter had the first IP address (could be from your router only) and then later your gateway was switched to your ISP and they assigned you a new IP address.  This is normal and is not a problem.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

not on wireless. DSL modem.

wall outlet to dsl modem to computer

so it all sounds normal eh?

sometimes I don't getthe 192.168.1.64

that normal too?

(by the way I didn't disclose anything by noting that IP address did I?)

Message Edited by NY1986 on 06-10-2009 10:07 PMMessage Edited by NY1986 on 06-10-2009 10:08 PM
Kudos0

192.168.x.x is a local network address, meaning it is on your side of your modem.  It is therefore either your modem, router or another device on your network.  These addresses are not routable on the internet so there is zero chance that it is coming from anything outside of your local network.  You can read about ip addresses that are reserved for private networks here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Message Edited by SendOfJive on 06-10-2009 10:43 PM
Kudos0

Perfectly normal.  And no, you did not disclose anything here as the 192.168.x.x is 99.9999% of the time used for an internal network between your computer and your router / modem.  Just about everbody has this address at one time or another.  The address your ISP provides for you should NOT be posted however.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.