• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Screen Saver and NIS 2010

Although set to run after 15 minutes, my screen saver does not automatically start after I have installed NIS 2010.  It started OK in with NIS 2009.

Any suggestions please?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Screen Saver and NIS 2010

dforrest:

For info, are you running XP sp 3?  There are some discussions going on with regard to this matter.  I will advise one of our gurus who has also queried this and perhaps he can assist.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi dforrest,

Does this occur all the time, or only when an Idle Full System Scan is anticipated to run?

As delphinium mentioned, please also let us know your operating system and service pack.

Thanks!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi

What screen saver are you trying to use?  Some times when you install a new security program that includes a firewall, you have to re-enable the screen saver so that it gets a permission in the firewall.. Some times a program needs to be reinstalled so that it works properly.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.20.4.57 Core Firmware 302 Android App 2.27 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I am using vista 64 with the latest SP.

I happens all the time but it also seems that NIS is constantly trying to run background full system scans.

The screen-saver is "Dream Aquarium".

Kudos0

Hi dforrest,

If an Idle Full System scan is interrupted and does not complete, the program will continue to attempt the scan until successfully completed.

Can you check your History > Scan History and check to see when the last Idle FSS successfully completed?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

It never has.
Kudos0

If NIS 2010 has been installed for a period of over 7 days and an Idle FSS is due, allow your computer to be undisturbed so that this scan can complete and then let us know how things are working after it is finished.
Kudos1 Stats

I have solved my problem by turning off "Idle Time Scans" so that "Idle Full System Scans" do not run (they never completed anyway).  "Idle Quick Scans" still run.

This is different behavior than NIS 2009.  I had "Idle Time Scans" activated in NIS 2009 and did not have this screen saver problem.

Kudos0

New "Norton Community Watch Feedback" is trying to run in the background every few minutes and is stopping the screen-saver running.
Kudos0

The problem is still not resolved.  I have disabled sending Community Watch Feedback to Norton but I still get constant tray pop-ups stating "Norton Internet Security is Preforming Background Tasks".  I have no idea what these tasks are.
Kudos0

Hi

You could try turning on silent mode, but I thnk that can only stay on for a maximum of 6 hours. You could also try setting your screen saver to a different one and see if that has any effect. I noticed with my screen saver, every so often, I have to reset the same settings for the screen saver in screen saver on display properties. I just reset the 2 settings for the same time periods that I want and then it works again also. Hope this helps.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.20.4.57 Core Firmware 302 Android App 2.27 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

dforrest wrote:
The problem is still not resolved.  I have disabled sending Community Watch Feedback to Norton but I still get constant tray pop-ups stating "Norton Internet Security is Preforming Background Tasks".  I have no idea what these tasks are.
If you click on Norton Tasks on the main screen of NIS2010 you will then see, on the bottom of the next screen, a list of Norton Tasks and the date/time they last ran.
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

I am having same problem, but am sure it started after I ran the optimizer for the first time.  Does this make sense?  My NIS 2010 is an upgrade from 2009.  I use "blank" screensaver set to run after 5 minutes.
Kudos0

My problem has now mysteriously resolved itself!
Kudos0

After I posted this morning I left the computer on and, also "mysteriously", it performed an idle full scan without interrupting the screensaver.  Seems OK now.  It is apparently fixed, but it bugs me when something happens, then doesn't, and I don't know why.  I will keep an eye on this and repost if it recurs.
Kudos0

I agree, and it is diferent from the way things ran in NIS 2009.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.