• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

$40 via mail-in rebate

Hello,

My subscription was up for renewal so as usual I go to the store and buy Norton Internet Security 2010 with a mail-in rebate sticker on it. I Never had any problems with this and always received the rebate in my mail in the past at this time of the year..... This time though, I read the terms and conditions and it states that "Offer good for purchases made between 1/6/2010 and 4/30/2010". We are in august and like I said, never had any problems in the past. I love the NIS program and believe it's worth the full price but this has made me a little frustrated and find this to be a little sneaky since the dates were changed to much earlier.

Why have the dates changed this year?

Can I still get the mail-in rebate?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: $40 via mail-in rebate

HI Allen1969,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

Weren't the valid dates of the rebate indicated on the box? Do you know if this rebate was one being offered by the store or was it a mail in rebate which goes directly to Symantec?

Typically from what I have seen, these types of rebates are offered by the store itself. If so you should ask them if anything can be done.

If the rebate goes directly to Symantec, you could check with Customer Service and ask them to be sure. This is the link for USA/Canada so if you need a different language please let me know and I can give you another link.

But in general if you are outside the valid dates of the rebate, there is most likely nothing that can be done.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Hi AllenM,

I usually mail the form to Symantec and the same applies here. I didn't look at the fine print on the sticker. Not sure if the dates were on the cover or inside where the form is folded. Out of habit I just took the box and saw the sticker, then paid for it without looking closely. Oh well, I'll ask at the store and try my luck there. So next year I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks

Kudos1 Stats

Allen  go to symantecrebates .com  and follow  and click on pre submit  rebates and go thru steps 1 thru 4 on the bottom of step 4 there is a place to click on to print a new rebate form iI hope this can help good luck.

Kudos0

HI ALF60,

It is worth a shot to try. Have you done this before with a rebate which is technically expired and it worked?

Allen1969, definitely give it a try as Alf60 suggested. If it goes through then your all set.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

HI AllenM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I have used that site to pre submit  my rebates and I have not had any problems but I always go to the website of the store  I bought my software from . Right now Frys  Office depot both have rebates that are now  current and you can print a rebate form . But you have to look for the place to print the form from.   good luck AL.

Kudos1 Stats

Allen1969,

If you are out of luck and can't get the rebate on that copy you bought you can return it under the Norton 60 day warranty, if you are in that period of time.

Here's the direct link to the Norton site to do this, even if you bought at a store -- just choose the relevant category and follow the instructions.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/dtree.jsp?id=returns&selected_nav=&pvid=  

Then you can go out and buy a copy making sure that the rebate form is valid before you buy it!

But you may find that Customer Support will resolve it for you since there certainly are mail-in rebates still available but it looks as if yours may have been old stock that the store wanted to sell before 2011 comes out (you get a free upgrade while your subscription is valid)

I just checked and if you did buy from Office Depot, as Alf says, they still have NIS 2010 this week:

Price after $40 mail in rebate. $20 upgrade mail in rebate available

BTW -- as an existing Norton User you are entitled to the Upgrade Price on any Norton product when you buy it from the Norton store on line -- not just to upgrade the product you are using but to buy a different product that you haven't got! Nice of them!

Hugh

Hugh
Kudos0

ALF60 wrote:

Allen  go to symantecrebates .com  and follow  and click on pre submit  rebates and go thru steps 1 thru 4 on the bottom of step 4 there is a place to click on to print a new rebate form iI hope this can help good luck.

HI AllenM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I have used that site to pre submit  my rebates and I have not had any problems but I always go to the website of the store  I bought my software from . Right now Frys  Office depot both have rebates that are now  current and you can print a rebate form . But you have to look for the place to print the form from.   good luck AL.

Hello ALF60,

Thank you so much for telling me about that website, I will take a look and let you know how it goes!

Thanks!

Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Allen1969,

If you are out of luck and can't get the rebate on that copy you bought you can return it under the Norton 60 day warranty, if you are in that period of time.

Here's the direct link to the Norton site to do this, even if you bought at a store -- just choose the relevant category and follow the instructions.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/dtree.jsp?id=returns&selected_nav=&pvid=  

Then you can go out and buy a copy making sure that the rebate form is valid before you buy it!

But you may find that Customer Support will resolve it for you since there certainly are mail-in rebates still available but it looks as if yours may have been old stock that the store wanted to sell before 2011 comes out (you get a free upgrade while your subscription is valid)

I just checked and if you did buy from Office Depot, as Alf says, they still have NIS 2010 this week:

Price after $40 mail in rebate. $20 upgrade mail in rebate available

BTW -- as an existing Norton User you are entitled to the Upgrade Price on any Norton product when you buy it from the Norton store on line -- not just to upgrade the product you are using but to buy a different product that you haven't got! Nice of them!

Hugh

Hello huwyngr,

That is also great informartion many thanks!

I will try this for sure if I'm out of luck

I am in the Norton 60 day warranty period time.

I bought my copy of NIS last week. The store was "Staples".

Thanks to all...

Kudos1 Stats

Hello Allen1969

Call up Staples as their rebate center online is under construction now.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Good morning Allen 1969                                                                                                                                                                                                      I just checked  the staples rebate link  have you used the  easy rebate  system  no mail in is requred just fill in the info. on your recipt  and you shoud get your rebate .  By the the way  I checked fry,s .com this morning  and they have  a 3 user  nis2010    0.00 after  one  5.00 instant rebate with two  mail in rebates with free shipping.  good luck with your rebates. ALF60                                                                                                                                                                                   

Kudos0

ALF60 wrote:

Good morning Allen 1969                                                                                                                                                                                                      I just checked  the staples rebate link  have you used the  easy rebate  system  no mail in is required just fill in the info. On your receipt  and you shoud get your rebate .  By the the way  I checked fry,s .com this morning  and they have  a 3 user  nis2010    0.00 after  one  5.00 instant rebate with two  mail in rebates with free shipping.  good luck with your rebates. ALF60                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hello ALF60,

I also just checked the staple rebate link. I never used it. It says I need the Staples rebate redemption form.

There is one on the page right there but it looks like an example form that I can not fill in, just an image.

Then I browsed the site a bit and did a search by product for the form and no results come up for Norton?

There is a drop down menu and I see other anti-virus and computer products but not Norton.

Important piece of info I should tell you. Staples is the English version of the store "Bureau En Gros". It is where I really bought my copy of NIS, located in Quebec, Canada. Same store different language and province. You will see on the Staples website the link "Français" ...Will this give me any troubles with this method of rebate? If yes I will try the other suggestions for rebate I was offered in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone who helped!!

Kudos0

The natural question is, why a $40 rebate on a product that costs no more than about $50?  Why this much effort to sell NIS at what would effectively be an extremely low price of less than $15 dollars?  Is something wrong with that batch of NIS copies?  Hopefully these copies are the 3-pc license versions of NIS which would be ----forgot actual price--- maybe $60 to $65?  (My NIS 2010 cost me about $43-45 for the 1-pc version.  This product seems to be worth much more than$3 to $5).

Kudos0

Hello g_cafe_c

The NIS 2011 program should be coming out soon. The stores are probably trying to reduce their supply and this is also the time of the year when parents and students are buying new computers for schools and college use.

Hope this answers your question.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

g_cafe_c wrote:

The natural question is, why a $40 rebate on a product that costs no more than about $50? 

[ ... ]

Think Gillette razors .... <g>

We are dealing with a licencing model here where the renewal fee is. literally, the key ....

Hugh

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.