• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

64 bit Windows 7 - NIS2010 Conflict? => System Crawl

I recently purchased a new computer along with Windows 7 (64 bit) and NIS2010 OEM. I'm trying to run a full system scan and it's a nightmare.  So far I've scanned 70,000 in 4 hours and suffered serious system crawling. It's not quite locking my system up but is very very close. In the meantime my brother ran AVG on his system of 200,000+ files in an hour or so.

Issues include:

Alt Tab not responding so I have to use Alt Ctrl Del and switch tasks via the task manager.

An extreme case with Alt Ctrl Del taking significant time to respond and freezing in the selection screen for a long time.

The clock (bottom right) seemed to lose time when my system was locking up though is presently caught up.

Switching between IE8 tabs froze IE8 for many seconds at a time.

Programs either don't start or take minutes to load e.g Chess Titans.

It's definitely something related to NIS as I tried pausing the full scan and hey presto full system control restored! Resuming has my system slowing again but it's not yet crawling. Maybe in another hour of scanning.

CPU usage is low (5%-10%).

RAM is hoveringaround  40%-50%

Disk I/O is often around 100KB\s but has spiked to 1,800KB\s

No idea what's causing the freeze. RAM\CPU usage isn't high enough, could it be the HDD?

Given I've read NIS is the fastest on the market and supposed to scan something like 50GB in 45 minutes, approximately 1/3 of my current HDD usage I should have been finished hours ago. It's not presently scanning at the 1 file\second (maybe) but still. Any ideas about the problem and\or a solution?

Joy to the world it's finished!!! The final 50,00 or so non-Windows 7 files took a few minutes which is really queer.

So why so slow when scanning Windows and why's it affecting my system so badly?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 64 bit Windows 7 - NIS2010 Conflict? => System Crawl

Hi 00Bob,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What is your version of NIS 2010? You can get this from Help & Support > About. You should be at version 17.7.0.12. If you are not please run Live Update repeatedly (rebooting if requested) until it reports no more updates are found.

Did any other security software besides NIS come installed on this computer? Have you installed any other security software?

A couple of things to try. One possibility could be a hard drive problem. Even though this is a new computer I would not rule out the possibility. I would recommend that you run a chkdsk /r on your system drive. Windows will inform you that it needs to schedule this for the next restart. Please answer yes to this and reboot your computer. Chkdsk will run after the restart before presenting you with the Windows login prompt.

You could also try turning off compressed file scanning. This is located in Computer Settings > Compressed file scan, set to Off.  If your new computer has lots of compressed files this can also slow it down.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Hi Allen

apologies about the delay in responding. The disabling of compressed file scanning seemed to do the trick though I'm not sure that that's a desirable solution is it? Short term solution certainly but for long term scanning? I can disable it for my own full scans but re-enabled it for when I'm not scanning in my own right.

Everything else appears fine it's just this little issue. Is there any reason NIS should be lagging on compressed files? Windows 7 seems to have a lot(!!!) of them judging by NIS's performance.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello 00Bob

It's ok to leave compressed file scanning to off. When you actually use the zipped files, then they will get scanned again and if any problem exists with them, it will be taken care of then.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

When you discribe how slow the system is working and the CPU usage it can't be correct.

You need to click the box that says "show processes for all users".

Allen asked a very important question about any other security software installed.

Kudos0

Hi 00Bob,

I concur with what Floplot says, there is no problem leaving compressed file scanning off. It will not reduce the security of your computer.

Dave is also correct that you did not respond about what other security software you might have installed.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Sorry I thought I had. Windows 7 was installed at the shop but nothing else. I installed NIS off the disk supplied. Does Windows come with default security software? I didn't notice anything when I looked.

Why should there be a difference between the Show All and standard view CPU usage? There was never any apparent high CPU or RAM usage which would explain the slowness.

Kudos0

HI 00Bob,

Windows would not come with any other security software. It has only the firewall which NIS will completely disable when you install it so that there will not be a conflict with NIS's firewall.

Any other security software would be something that the OEM manufacturer puts on and they typically do put some kind of security software which is on trial basis.

Just to clarify was NIS preinstalled on your computer or you had to install it with a disk that the OEM manufacturer supplied?

Did you ever run the chkdsk /r on your system drive as I suggested earlier?

The problem may well be the compressed files and since you indicate things are much better since you disabled that, you are probably OK. Compressed files can indeed take quite some time depending on the type & number of compressed files that you have.

But if you have not run the chkdsk I would suggest that you do so to make sure there are no problems.

Please let us know how the chkdsk goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

I had to install NIS myself. Windows was the only software preinstalled.

I did try running chkdsk /r but was told I lack sufficient privileges. Is the Windows version satisfactory or do I need to work out how to access the Admin profile, assuming it exists?

Kudos0

00Bob wrote:

I had to install NIS myself. Windows was the only software preinstalled.

I did try running chkdsk /r but was told I lack sufficient privileges. Is the Windows version satisfactory or do I need to work out how to access the Admin profile, assuming it exists?

Hi 00Bob,

Windows always has an administrator account even if you normally use a limited user account. Try going into Start Menu > Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click Run As Administrator. When the DOS window comes up you can do the chkdsk /r.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.