• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Ghost15 Sys Recvr CD does not see Bkup drive

Vista Home Premium laptop crashed after the latest April 2012 OS updates.  Now get a Fatal System Error. Safe Mode will not launch.

Trying to Restore from my external USB drives.  Laptop has 3GB RAM and 330GB? drive.

Original drive with Restore Points is a 3TB Seagate GoFlex drive.  I originally had trouble completing my backups to this 3TB, then about 1 months ago, the backups started to complete without error messages.  Irregardless, I copied the Ghost Backup folder onto another 2TB GoFlex drive today.  However, neither drive can be seen with the Ghost Install / Sys Recovery Disk. I do not have a Customized SRD with any drivers that might be necessary to see these disks.  Is this even necessary?

Using the Original Ghost CD, it takes 2 hours just to get to the System Recovery / Recover My Computer wizard.  I cannot Map any other drives;  cannot see them to assign a Drive letter.

How can I Restore my entire C drive that has all my data? 

How can I see the 2TB external drive?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ghost15 Sys Recvr CD does not see Bkup drive

Obviously it shouldn't take 2 hours to boot the Ghost recovery disk.

When it did load all the way, did it "see" the internal hard drives?

You said you couldn't map any network drives or see the external drives, but did you at least see the C drive?

What is the make and model of this system?

Dave

Kudos0

RogerRamJet wrote:

Using the Original Ghost CD, it takes 2 hours just to get to the System Recovery / Recover My Computer wizard.

RogerRamJet,

How long does it take for that same CD to load fully in your current computer?

Do you have Ghost installed in your current computer? If so can you post a partinfo.txt with the 2 TB USB HD attached?

Kudos0

Dell inspiron 1420.  3 years new.

It will see the C drive, CD drive , and one internal Dell drive [for reinstalling windows?].

Does not see any files within C, nor any folders.  The dell partition will show internal folders.

Any time I click on any option, the pc takes several minutes to load or change;  not seconds.

I do have a second original Ghost CD, but did not use it.  Both are the same 09/09 manufacture.

Right now I am in about 1:20 hrs,  stil Loading Drivers...

Kudos0

When yo boot the Ghost disk, when windows starts loading there is a screen that has a "bar" and you see green squares moving from left to right.  It's normal on some systems to have that animation stop for 5 seconds or so but it shouldn't stop much longer.

Does it also hang at that point for more than 30 seconds?

Dave

Kudos0

Brian-  This Win 7 machine will see the contents very quickly.  Did not try to Boot from it on the newer pc.

Ghost is not installed on this pc.  Should I still remove the 2TB from my crashed pc?  I am still trying my latest Boot.  Now doing a Checking System Requirments.

Can I plug in the 3TB to this pc or do I need to have Ghost installed to see the partinfo.txt

Kudos0

You might have a sick HD. Try booting the Ghost CD with the HD removed. If Ghost boots in a few minutes you have an answer. Also run Dell diagnostics on the HD.

Kudos0

Brian_K wrote:

You might have a sick HD.

My thoughts exactly.

Eject the ghost disc and try booting into the Dell diagnostics and test the hard drive

Kudos0

Recalling from my memory,  the boot sequence does show a smaller bar with a moving target.  This lasts for a few minutes.  When it disappears,  I have about 15 minutes of blank screen with my hard drive lamp on solid with a few flickers.  Eventually the black screen turns into a partitioned grey screen, top 2/3's is a darker color.  Several Symantec colorful status windows will appear superimposed.  Now i have x:windows\system32 \cmd.exe  box.  This may appear for 2 times.  Never see any writing inside the box.  Back to split grey screen. 

Kudos0

I will try both of these tests.

I know the Dell diagnostic test is long.  I started it the other day.  If it indicates a problem,  then I assume I am off to the local store.  The day I updated the OS, when the problem first started on Friday 13!!!!  there was a rare thunder storm in So Cal.  No close encounters though.  Just far off rumblings.

I can also try removing the drive and Rebooting from the CD.

Kudos0

I'm also in So Cal, that was some bizzare weather with tornado warnings as well.

I'm not sure how long the test will actually take, it may not even get to the point of needing to test all the sectors.

Removing the drive and booting the disc would be a fast way to tell if it's the hard drive because even if the drive just had a lot of errors and bad sectors it would not hang the system like that loading the Ghost recovery console.

Dave

Kudos0

Good data!

After removing the drive, I started/ boot from the Ghost CD,  it only took about 4 minutes,  NOT 2 hours.  It started quickly and moved along like a greased pig.  

Thanks, both of you. 

I will put the disc back in, then maybe try to inspect/fix bad sectors. 

If I fix any bad sectors etc,  will the drive be reliable??   or should I just replace it now??

A little worried since I do not have real ms Vista disks.  I do have a set of Dell disks:

Reinstallation DVD / Win Vista sp1 and a Drivers & utilities dvd.

Usually I depend on the hidden dell partition.

Extra Info:  I did crash 2 years ago and had to use the hidden reinstall partition.

Again,  thank you very much for your guidance.  I will post the final results.  Adios for now.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

If the HD is bad and you buy a new one, just restore your image (s). You don't have to re-install Vista.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.