• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Cant access a remote server

Hi,

I had Norton 360 V 6 installed.  When the subscription ended I switched to NIS 2012.  I uninstalled Norton 360 and chose to keep all settings instead of removing all settings.  I rebooted the computer and then installed NIS 2012.  I could no longer access my mapped drives on my remote server.  I could VPN in but not access the drives.  I noticed it did not keep my firewall trust control settings.  So I went into trust control and added the ip address of my remote server.  I also chose "Full Trust".  From when I had 360 installed I found out that only under "Full Trust" could I access the drives.  If I chose default trust I could VPN in but would not have access to the drive.  Well I did the same exact settings on NIS 2012 and I cannot access the drives.  If I disable the firewall I can access the drive.  Once I access the drive I can reenable the firewall and maintain access.  What could be causing this problem?

thanks for any help

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cant access a remote server

Hi,

I had Norton 360 V 6 installed.  When the subscription ended I switched to NIS 2012.  I uninstalled Norton 360 and chose to keep all settings instead of removing all settings.  I rebooted the computer and then installed NIS 2012.  I could no longer access my mapped drives on my remote server.  I could VPN in but not access the drives.  I noticed it did not keep my firewall trust control settings.  So I went into trust control and added the ip address of my remote server.  I also chose "Full Trust".  From when I had 360 installed I found out that only under "Full Trust" could I access the drives.  If I chose default trust I could VPN in but would not have access to the drive.  Well I did the same exact settings on NIS 2012 and I cannot access the drives.  If I disable the firewall I can access the drive.  Once I access the drive I can reenable the firewall and maintain access.  What could be causing this problem?

thanks for any help

Kudos0

Hey

When you uninstalled Norton 360 from your computer, you should have removed everything  and maybe you should aslo have  used the Norton Removal To do a complete uninstall before install a new program. Beacause Norton 360 files can interfere with Norton Internet Security.

What does Norton History tell you, when you are trying to access your remote server?

Have you checked that you have the IP-Adress?

Do you get a message from Norton Smart Firewall or Norton IPS (Norton Intrusion Prevention) that norton have blocked your access to the Remote Server?

Try this and see if it works.

Go to Norton main UI = go to settings = Network = Norton Smart Firewall = Advanced Settings = General Rules and create a rule for your IP - Adress

You can also go via Program Control and then scroll down until you find VPN-Program, create a rule for your IP - Adress.

I hope this solution will work for you.

Remember that we are all volunters on this forum.

If you still are having problem, let us know.

Sweman

Kudos0

Hi

Kudos0

Hi

I looked in history.  It shows that it connected to the ip address specified and that the status is "trusted".  I havent had a chance to add the rule yet BUT I was wondering why would NIS 2012 require me to add it into the rule set when norton 360 I just needed to add it to the trust control?

thanks!

Kudos0

I uninstalled NIS.  Rebooted.  Ran norton removal tool rebooted.  Reinstalled NIS.  Same problem.  Cannot access drive on remote server unless i turn firewall off. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.