• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Restore failed (W403) error.

I have not been able to complete a restore from one computer to another.  I constantly get the Restore failed (W403) error.  I only checked this forum before canceling my subscription.  I am hoping you can solve this or I will be forced to cancel.  What good is a backup if the files can't be restored.  I tried even only restoring one file.

(EDIT: For your safety, please do not post identifying information per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Restore failed (W403) error.

I have not been able to complete a restore from one computer to another.  I constantly get the Restore failed (W403) error.  I only checked this forum before canceling my subscription.  I am hoping you can solve this or I will be forced to cancel.  What good is a backup if the files can't be restored.  I tried even only restoring one file.

(EDIT: For your safety, please do not post identifying information per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.)

Kudos0

Hi 92rover,

Please read the sticky note on the main forum page about how restore works for a detailed explanation.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Online-Backup/The-Restore-Process-for-Norton-Online-Backup/m-p/749824#U749824

Please let us know if you still need help.

Thanks,

Preetha DG
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

Thank you for your response.  I did read the note in detail and quite honestly it doesn't apply.  I certainly understand incremental backups, etc.

I ahve never interuppted the restore process and let it run untill the status screen shows it is complete.  However when going to the file on the desktop called, Restored Files, which is created by the restore, there is nothing in it.  When I check the logs is where I see the RESTORED FAILED $)# message.

Perhpas you can shed additional insight?

Kudos0

One thing I have noticed is that after you get a W403 error (or any error actually), the next time you try to restore the "preparing restore" stage goes on virtually endlessly.  You can cancel it, and the next restore attempt will generally go to the transfer stage fairly quickly.

I know you say not to cancel, but waiting in the range of an hour is not normal/acceptable.  In my experience, the cancel seems to improve product behavior, not make it worse.

By the way, I have intermiitent, but active W403 and W503 errors.  I am doing quite small backups (150MB).  However, I am one of the original 403-ers that you are working on.

I tend to try to restore from one machine to another once a day.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  A familiar pattern is

1st try - transfer to 100% then error (sometimes W403, W404, and tonight a new one W503)

2nd try - endless server preparing restore - over five minutes I cancel

3rd try - quite quickly to transfer stage, transfer works

Kudos0

Hello

With many users assistance we have been tracking this error and working to resolve it. We may have put a corrective step in place that does finally rid us of this issue. That went into effect two days ago. All that's needed now is to have you try again. It may require we setup a diagnostic session so we can gather some new details if it does persist.

Kudos0

For what it is worth:

Tonight (9/12) I attempted another restore and got a W404.  Tried it 10 minutes later and it worked fine.  It is still hit and miss.

Something is still not quite right.  It will will work if you try it enough though.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.