• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Identity won't accept same password on another computer using Vault

I had to reset Norton Identity safe today and when i did so and updated my logins and was about to use my laptop with Norton Internet Security installed, on that computer (using a newer version of NIS and Identity safe is called Vault)  the very same password i created when i reset Identity Safe wont work at all, when i tried it on the first computer it works without any problems.  Why won't it accept my password, i am the single user and i'm logged into My Norton Account ?

Any solution to this ?  The Vault bar and everything is enabled in IE9.

Best regards and btw. Identity Safe looked better than the new Vault thing..sorry.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Identity won't accept same password on another computer using Vault

I had to reset Norton Identity safe today and when i did so and updated my logins and was about to use my laptop with Norton Internet Security installed, on that computer (using a newer version of NIS and Identity safe is called Vault)  the very same password i created when i reset Identity Safe wont work at all, when i tried it on the first computer it works without any problems.  Why won't it accept my password, i am the single user and i'm logged into My Norton Account ?

Any solution to this ?  The Vault bar and everything is enabled in IE9.

Best regards and btw. Identity Safe looked better than the new Vault thing..sorry.

Kudos0

Hi Rotweiler_76,

Please start with a reboot of both systems and log out of and then log back into your Norton Account.

Let us know if that helped.

Kudos0

Nope, did not help.  Everything seems okey, the password hint is the same but the password just won't be accepted

correction, the password hint is not the same. I just changed it after reset Identity safe on the other computer and changed the password (again) and the hint but on this computer (the laptop) it is the wrong hint now so something must be very wrong.

Kudos0

Tried doing it the other way, started on my laptop and then on my desktop. Same thing, won't accept password......is it a bug in the program or is it network issues right now ?

Kudos0

Hi Rottweiler_76,

Yesterday there was a sever problem going on while I was troubleshooting and I came across this:

Now yours is preventing you from logging in and shows the incorrect password hint?

Not sure what the problem is.  I have not seen any reports of server problems - not saying thee isnlt a local problem in your area - my online vault is working just fine at the moment.

Perhaps give it a try in an hour or so?

Kudos0

It still does not work i'm afraid. On my laptop it just wan't me to setup a new Vault, when i have one already setup on my desktop on the same IP and network so this is beyond me.

Kudos0

Please tell us which version of NIS you have on each system.  It sounds like you have the Vault (version 20) on the laptop and an older version having ID Safe on the other system.

The version can be found on both of the on the Main Page, Support > About - the version will be listed. 

Kudos0

Moved to own message for better exposure.
Kudos0

I had same problem using NIS 2013 on Win 7 (64bit) & Win 8 (32bit), On WIn 7 it worked fine, the free toolbar on Win 8 worked fine, I decided to install NIS on the Win 8, instead of asking me to log in it asked me to setup the vault, I did but then found I couldn't log into the Win 7 machine as it said the password was incorrect, reset password but then Win 8 asked to setup again, I removed & reinstalled following instructions - remove via uninstall programs, reboot, use NRT, reboot, reinstall - but same problem, I did managed to get things working but I then found any additions or changes made one one computer weren't being reflected in the other - it was though I had two vaults using the same password, I removed again & reinstalled free toolbar & that still worked fine. Hated not being able to use Norton & annoyed at having wasted another install I tried again & this time it was successful.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Virginia/Doctor9fan: sounds like the exact same issue.

I've tried every possible solution i can come up with. And to make things just a bit more fun, a third computer does not accept the password and has the same issue. I have ended up using local storage on the NIS2012 versions i use and online for the latest NIS (which doesn't seem to support local storage of passwords, correct me if im wrong?)

Kudos0

Norton is becoming a real pain product to use imo, I'm sure once the kinks are sorted it'll be fine, I eventually downloaded the activated version from my Norton account to also try & fix the problem which seems to be the best way to install on another computer - rather than just running any installer you already have.

You can use 2013 & have a local vault but you first have to install 2012, run liveupdate several times (rebooting when asked/required) until there's nothing left & then run liveupdate again & install 2013 upgrade, if you do it that way you get to keep the local vault, I had to do that when I was getting the problem with time-out/network errors previous to the problem I mentioned here. I noticed though that if you sync the local vault with the online version you lose the local vault.

Kudos0

Hi Virginia,

From the Configuring ID Safe Help:

So what you see is in fact the way it is supposed to work.  IMHO, I feel Sync is a poor choice of words to describe this function - perhaps something like "transfer" or "move" would be better.

Sync Data Online

Lets you move your Identity Safe data that you stored in your local vault to online vault.

When you sync your Identity Safe data from local vault to online vault, the data in the local vault is permanently removed

Kudos0

Hi Yank, it's certainly badly worded, on using the feature upon release of the 2013 upgrade I assumed it referred to allowing the user to sync the information between the local & online vault in order to keep things upto date but instead I lost the local vault. I think a better wording would be 'transfer' also or 'migrate'.

Kudos0

Have been having same issues since Jan 17.

This is why I was disappointed and worried when the smart guy there decided to do away with a local vault.  Thank goodness Identity Safe is working partly.  Fortunately I am just transitioning from one computer to another over a week long period.  Once finished I'll be okay.  Fingers are crossed. 

Still it is a pain to have to create a vault on one computer for use, and have it destroy access to the vault on the other.  Then reverse the process for use on the other...   Both laptops are Win 7 Home Premium 64bit, ASUS, NIS 20.2.0.19

I think some minor updates were lost so far, fortunately nothing irreplaceable.  I like the convenience of having the feature there instead of using a stand alone package.  Please don't give more reason to have to go there.

jymton

Kudos0

Doctor9fan wrote:

Hi Yank, it's certainly badly worded, on using the feature upon release of the 2013 upgrade I assumed it referred to allowing the user to sync the information between the local & online vault in order to keep things upto date but instead I lost the local vault. I think a better wording would be 'transfer' also or 'migrate'.

'transfer'? 'migrate'?  There are many for whom 'disintegrate' would be the more correct and appropriate operative...  

Kudos0

Hi Rottweiler_76,

Sorry for the issue you are facing.

Can you please browse to "http://identitysafe.norton.com" and login to your Norton Account and later check whether you are able to login to your vault via Web Portal of Identity Safe?????

Kudos0

Yes i can and there all my logins are stored and correct the problem is that it isn't that Online anymore on three computers now. I guess i have to wait for any update that fixes this issue.

Kudos0

Hi,

Can you please try the below steps and check whether it helps:-

1) Reboot the machines on which you are not able to login vault.

2) After reboot launch browser and click on "Identity Safe" Tool Bar.

3) Click "Logout" link to logout of Norton Account from "Open Vault" UI.

4) Click "Log in to Norton Account" link and re-login into same Norton Account again.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4, 2 or 3 times.

6) Now try to login with Correct Password and check whether it is working for you.

Kudos0

I don;t see any answers to the problem of not being able to log in from another computer, the hint is correct and it tells me that I have an NIS but still won't let me log in. Maybe I will have to change the user name and rmail address of the other computer?

Kudos0

Had the same problem myself a few months ago, Win 7 machine was fine but Vista rejected the password, if I reset password on Vista it would reject the password on the Win 7 machine, removing Norton on one or the other led to further complications of strangely having two ID safes using the same password - information added to one didn't appear in the other but did appear in the Norton website version of the vault, I remedied this by totally removing NIS from both machines & choosing not to save any information, restarting then using the NRT then restarting again & reinstalling Norton.

Btw I tried changing the email address for my Norton account & it didn't fix the problem for me.

Kudos0

Havent tried to fix it anymore, it seems to me that it is a bug that is unsolved and apparently not prioritized. I have to look for other software to fill this function. Any recommendations ?

Kudos0

FIXED Idenity safe would not except my pasword on another computer so I got it FIXED so now I can use my #2 comp. with my password and get into a co-odinated idenity safe #1 #2 being the same. I down loaded Norton on #2 comp. and of course it used my email address from the #1 comp.I was told, only one safe per email address . The guy at Norton support had me make a back up file on a flash drive and then loaded the Norton uninstall on the #2 and did a uninstall and then a reinstall under a different email address on #2. I then load the info from the flash drive throuhgh nomal a procedure got it the safe and all the info was there. I then ran a test adding some info and found that they were not co-ordinated because #2 had it's own safe and I just loaded info into it from #1. I then loaded the safe under a different user on #2 (#1 email address and password) I got the safe to come up ,changed some info and then loged into #1 and there it was. The guys from Norton Support were great and even had a little fun while things were loading. My wife walked in and saw the curser moving with out me doing anything so I told her that I could move the curser with my eyes and thoughts . The tech played along since he could hear what was going on on the speaker phone .........curser left ,curser right , when she said WOW ,he laughft and I got in trouble.

This did work but I do think that this should be be fixed at the Norton level so if there was a way that you could down load your second copy of Norton using a different email address.

Tomkat

Kudos0

I found the FIX . See the last post.

Tomkat

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.