• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

should I try Norton Power Eraser??

I'm having issues with my computer that regular scans are not finding. In the last month or so, the blue screen of death has popped up at least 5 times. I'm thinking I should use the Power Eraser to do a deeper scan. But, I'm a little afraid of it. Will it remove anything I may need? Or does it ask me what to do with any problems it detects? I'm not savvy enough to know what I should do. Is it reversable if I make my computer run worse than it is now? Most of the time, all is smooth running. But, THAT'S when the blue screen appears! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO! I don't want to do any further harm to this. 

PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND THE PROS & CONS OF THIS POWER ERASER! OR IF I SHOULD EVEN TRY IT??

THANKS!

oh, I'm running firefox & norton 360

Replies

Kudos0

Re: should I try Norton Power Eraser??

NPE doesn't remove things automatically. It will ask first.

You should, however, know that blue screens are much much more often caused by hardware issues or driver conflicts than malware.

What does the blue screen information say?

Kudos0

It is up for such a short time. the only thing I can remember seeing is that it is dumping info and will restart windows. my device manager does say there is a hardware problem, i think with my mouse. but, it always says it fixes it. and that i need more memory. it sometimes does what looks like a prompt command startup. where it checks a lot of things before windows starts. so, do you think i should at least try the eraser? i also get TONS of high CPU usage notices if that means anything. i've noticed it freezes up a lot more frequently than it has in the past.

Kudos0

Disable the automatic restart when the system bluescreens:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

You can then copy the information and post it.

Kudos0

Have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any warning flags against the entry for your mouse.

WINKEY + Pause key at the same time takes you to System Information and there should be a link to Device Manager in the left column.

If there is a flag -- [!] [X] .... against the entry which may be labeled Mice .... but may also appear under Human Interface Devices -- then double clicking on the line may give you more information.

Is the mouse connected by wire (USB) or WiFi or Bluetooth?

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Kelbel2u

Would you like to take a look at this thread it might interest you?  If you’re concerned about any of the tasks do some research on the internet to get an understanding of the technology?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/BSOD-or-Freeze-on-Shutdown/td-p/944283

ATB

intesec   

Kudos0

@intesec:

thank you! i will check out the link for sure!!! i'm always trying to learn more about everything i'm doing on this computer! i still have not tried the power eraser... but i may after reading this link.

THANKS AGAIN! 

Kudos0

@huwyngr:

i did look in device manager & there were no flags ~ even tho norton says there is a problem with HID... i updated it, even tho there was no flag. i am using a wireless mouse right now. maybe i should connect my wired mouse again??

Kudos0

@bombastus:

i will use this link to disable the auto restart & i'll copy the bluescreen whenever it happens again. does this link also tell me how to enable it again??

THANK YOU!!

Kudos0

Good -- troubleshooting is elimination .....

Keep on ....

If you have a spare mouse I'd certainly try changing, especially to eliminate the wireless link but if you did not see a flag in device manager I'm not sure what it might be.

Follow the instructions to show the actual error message. Post the full code even if it does not appear to mean anything ....

Hugh
Kudos0

I have disabled auto restart. I read all of the articles you all gave me about the BSOD. It occured once again right before I disabled the restart, so I'm sure it'll happen again... 

I'm going to keep this open until I can post the STOP code.

So, I'll be back!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.