• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Antivirus 21.1.0.18 crashes and gives message: igdpmd64.sys page fault in non-paged area

I was using Norton Antivirus 20.4.0.40 and it wouldn't update (LiveUpdate).  After a few days I went to a solutions page which said to uninstall & reinstall. In doing that, it gave me a newer version of the program.

Unfortunately this newer version (21.1.0.18) crashes and gives the blue screen ( igdpmd64.sys page fault in non-paged area).  I tried a few things over the past week or so and found:

1. When I open the Norton Antivirus Window, I can perform all the tasks at the top (Settings, Performance, Feedback, Account, Support) without difficulty.

2. If I click on any of the boxes in mid-screen (Secure, Scan, LiveUpdate, Advanced) the PC will crash with the blue screen and error message.

3. If I right click on the Icon on the taskbar, I can use the "Run LiveUpdate" or "Run QuickScan" without difficulty. However, there is no way to run a FullScan, as the PC crashes. 

4. Until the Norton Engineers can fix this problem, could you please have them add "Run FullScan" to to taskbar Icon

Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Antivirus 21.1.0.18 crashes and gives message: igdpmd64.sys page fault in non-paged area

Hi Maraschino

It could be the antivirus causing it but as there are aspects of it working you might like to try a few other things first?

To check Norton is running can you launch the task manager and click on the process tab, click on the description tab to sort that column A-Z and there are two different ways to find out if Norton is running depending on the version of Norton.

In the image name check for ccsvchst.exe and on that line in the description column, symantec services framework for v20 and earlier.

In the image name check for, Norton.exe, and on that line in the description column, system, for v21.

If you see one of these Norton is running if not physically disconnect from the internet (unplug the internet cable or disable the wifi).

There can be other instances of the above depending on the Norton products on the computer.

If Norton is not running it needs to be removed.

You’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the below.  Also see the paragraph about backing up your data and do that now?

Uninstall Norton using the windows add/remove programme.

Restart the computer.

You need to set some internet security so windows defender and windows firewall, reconnect to the internet and then get up dates and recheck for updates until there are no more updates restarting as requested.  If you have windows 7 or above then Norton will manage the windows security automatically if its windows vista or below then check to see if you need to manually disable windows defender and windows firewall after installing Norton.

If you use ACT! or WinFax, back up those databases before you proceed.

Download Norton removal tool link below.  Running the Norton removal tool will remove other Norton products that are on the computer.

Download and save the Norton removal tool.

www.Norton.com/nrt

Run the Norton removal tool.

Restart the computer.

This is probably the best time to back up all of your data on to two separate media that have no other data on them because if the problem is caused by an infection backing up on to the current backup media can infect the media as the data is written to the media.  There is an unknown problem(s) on the computer and this could lead to the lost of all of the data? 

If you haven’t backed up your data I strongly recommend you do before doing anything else.

Try a Norton full scan in safe mode (see help and support from the start menu). 

If you use Safe mode with networking it allows an internet connection so physically disconnect the internet, disable the wifi before booting into safe mode with networking as Norton appears to be disabled in safe mode only allowing a full scan.  Then restart the computer.

Some scanning issues can be caused by bad sectors on the hard disc.

Try running check disc (see help and support from the start menu) for errors.  It’s requested in normal mode and starts on restarting the computer, it can take a long time so be sure mains power is connected.

You may have corrupt windows files that may be able to be repaired by performing a sfc scan.

How do I do a sfc scan.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If you have any questions please ask before starting.

ATB

intesec

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Antivirus 21.1.0.18 crashes and gives message: igdpmd64.sys page fault in non-paged area

Maraschino wrote:

Unfortunately this newer version (21.1.0.18) crashes and gives the blue screen ( igdpmd64.sys page fault in non-paged area). 

Hi Maraschino:

What is your current Windows OS and default web browser?

If you use 64-bit Win 7, could you please review ma_db's thread here regarding BSODs with igdpmd64.sys and comments in that thread about problems caused by Windows Update KB2670838 for IE.  A list of known computer models (usually having an AMD Radeon graphics card) adversely affected by this Windows update is posted here in a Microsoft security advisory, along with instructions on how to uninstall this update.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 25.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

To Imacri:

I had seen that mentioned (Windows Update KB2670838). When I looked for it, it was listed as having been installed at one time, but no longer is there in the list of updates that can be installed. (Could Microsoft have seen the folly of their ways and uninstalled it at a later date?)

Kudos0

To intesec:

When I look in Task manager, I see: "NAV.exe*32" (Norton Antivirus) and "nst.exe*32" (Norton Identity Safe) which, apparently, are both running.  I didn't have the problem until the version 21 was installed. Is there a way to go back to the version 20? I have a 3-PC disk and have used one of the installs on this PC. (I used 2nd install on a Win XP PC.  I still have one install left, but need it for another of my Win XP PC's.)

Kudos0

Correction To Imacri:

To Imacri:

I had seen that mentioned (Windows Update KB2670838). When I looked for it, it was listed as having been installed at one time, but no longer is there in the list of updates that can be uninstalled.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Maraschino:

Are you able to find the installed update by going to Control Panel | Programs and Features|  View Installed Updates and searching for "KB2670838"?  I don't have a Win 7 PC but perhaps one of the Win 7 users in the forum could tell you if this update has been removed from the list of installed updates.

There's always a possibility that your BSOD is unrelated to the Windows update KB2670838.  I've posted instructions here for collecting and posting diagnostic logs of BSOD minidumps using NirSoft's BlueScreenView that might provide more information about the specific process causing the BSODs.

If you'd like to try a downgrade back to NAV v. 20.4.0.40 you can follow the instructions posted here by Phil_D, but since you would be re-installing NAV, and not NIS, you would download the offline installer for NAV 2013 (v. 20.x) from www.norton.com/nav20 in step 2 of his instructions.  Please note that Phil_D's instructions ask you to select "Please remove all user data ..."  when you uninstall NAV from the Control Panel to provide the best wipe of your current NAV installation off your system.  If you use the Identity Safe feature to store login passwords in a local vault (i.e., on your hard drive instead of in the cloud on Symantec's online server) please let us know before you try a clean reinstall, since we will have to provide special instructions to ensure you can retain your local vault.

Also note that the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) will remove a wide range of Norton products, including Norton SystemWorks and Norton Utilities, so if you have any Norton products on your system other than NIS you will have to re-install them after you run the NRT.

EDIT:

...and if you uninstall and re-install NAV on the same computer, this will not use an additional installation seat and you should still be able to install NAV on your third PC.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 25.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Maraschino, and Imacri. I run Windows 7 64 bit, and I can confirm that KB2670838 is still listed in my Installed Updates.

It was downloaded on February 27 2013.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi F4E:

I agree that KB2670838 is listed in installed updates. (In fact, mine is listed twice on 2-17-13.)

However, when I go to: Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history,

there is a link at top of the page for: To remove an update, see Installed Updates.  Clicking on this takes you to: Control Panel\Programs\ Programs and Features\Installed Updates and shows a list titled "Uninstall an update" which does not include the KB2670838. So I assume it is not installed.

I still would like to have the Software Engineers put "Run FullScan" on the menu accessed from the toolbar Icon.

Kudos0

Hi Maraschino

Norton allows product user licences to be removed from the Norton account, so that user licence can be used again on the same or a different computer, if the current subscription is active.

While it should not be necessary if you are using the same computer when Norton is reinstalled with the same version or reverting back to an earlier version of the same product as Norton uses a unique number from the main board of the computer to identify the subscription status for that computer.

If you have changed the hard drive or reinstalled the operating system then putting the licence in the trashcan (bin) is recommended as Norton may referance or write some data on the hard drive.

The keys are locked to the product version, but not the versions with in the product; Norton allows different versions with in the product to be on different computers for one subscription with more than one user licence.

Log into Norton management on the link below using your Norton account email address and password, click on my account, click on product details, identify the licence you want to remove by the computers name under device name, on that line click on the trashcan (bin) this will free up the key but it may have a time delay before it becomes available.

https://manage.norton.com

ATB

intesec

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi Maraschino:

Did you read through the Microsoft security advisory for Windows Update KB2670838 here that I mentioned in message # 3? If your computer model is listed at the bottom of that advisory and there is a blue link to the manufacturer's website to direct you to the installer for the latest recommended driver for the graphics card, then that would fix the problem with the graphics driver and there would be no need to uninstall Windows Update KB2670838.

If your computer model and graphics card isn't listed in that security advisory then your BSOD's likely have nothing to do with Windows Update KB2670838 and could simply be caused by an out-of-date driver.

------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri -

Your suggestion was the one that solved the problem. I hadn't noticed the message #3. After downloading the new version of AMD drivers for the graphics card,  my PC seems to work fine. I don't understand why Microsoft didn't do this as one of their Windows updates. Thanks so much for your help. Also, thanks to all who made suggestions.

Kudos0

Seems good that the problem is solved. But MS is going to completely leave XP by next few months, so you will need to upgrade your OS sooner to be protected from threats effectively.

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Hi Maraschino:

Glad to hear your system is behaving better since you updated your graphics card driver.  Credit should go to Guggi, who posted here in October 2013 about BSODs caused by older versions of igdpmd64.sys on some Win 7 computers following the KB2670838 update.  The update to NIS 21.x (2014) must have contributed to the BSODs in some way since KB2670838 was delivered back in February 2013 and users like Guggi only started seeing these BSODs after they upgraded to v. 21.

------------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.