• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

"Intrusion Protection" OFF for "limited account" user?

A red X in the tool bar says "Intrusion Protection" is OFF. for "limited account" user but not for the administrator account.

I  have two accounts on my computer, "Administrator" (for installing) and then my "limited accout" (where I do all my work). 

I get the "intrusion protection off" red warning in the "limited account", but when I switch to "adminstrator acccount" it is on, or green.

I tried to temporarily change the limited account to admin, but when I did my "limited account" showed all green.  So there was nothing to fix.  Then I changed it back, and guess what, Red X again, "intrusion protection off".

Can anyone help?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "Intrusion Protection" OFF for "limited account" user?

A red X in the tool bar says "Intrusion Protection" is OFF. for "limited account" user but not for the administrator account.

I  have two accounts on my computer, "Administrator" (for installing) and then my "limited accout" (where I do all my work). 

I get the "intrusion protection off" red warning in the "limited account", but when I switch to "adminstrator acccount" it is on, or green.

I tried to temporarily change the limited account to admin, but when I did my "limited account" showed all green.  So there was nothing to fix.  Then I changed it back, and guess what, Red X again, "intrusion protection off".

Can anyone help?

Kudos0

Welcome to club 360.  Sorry I do not have a solution, yet, for our common problem.  The symptoms you describe surfaced on our three PCs running Norton 360 at about the same time four days ago.  Since the three PCs have different physical compositions (different brands, CPUs, RAM, etc..),  yet they all showed the symptoms described almost at the same time, it is probably due to an update from Symantec. 

If you use Norton 360 Version 2.3 or above, please check "My Network" mapping on the main Norton 360 window in your administrator accounts.  On each of my three PCs, I have a big red X there on the icon representing the respective PC indicating that our home network maybe also insecure.  As the IT guru at home, my dependents are vocally objecting to me about continuing with Norton 360, or Symantec altogether.

I have tried Norton Removal Tool and reinstalled Norton 360 several times all over the different PCs.  No luck.  One solution is to wait for Symantec to issue an update that fixes this problem, though I do not think it will be coming soon. We had endured a big red X with limited accounts on one of our PCs running Norton 360 version 1 indicating then that the anti-phishing engine had failed. It was only solved five months later when Norton 360 crashed and alerted us to reinstall (and upgrade to version 2), alas that was only three weeks ago.   

Good luck.

Kudos0

Out of curiosity, are you the only one who uses your computer? If so, why did you establish a "limited user" account?

If there's only one account on a computer Windows automatically gives it administrator privileges.

If others use your computer, I can understand your problem. 

Kudos0

BrandonFL wrote:

[ ... ]

If there's only one account on a computer Windows automatically gives it administrator privileges.

[ ... ]

Not in VISTA? Full Administrative privileges are always hidden out of sight and all Administrator/Users are in fact limited?

At least that is my understanding and why Run as Administrator is so useful.

Hugh
Kudos0

I installed Norton 360 2.3.0 a couple of weeks ago on my main PC, and thought everything was working fine because my administrative account seemed to work fine with Norton -- no issues, status "Protected".  However, like these posters, I have since discovered that all the other members of my family who have non-Administrative accounts (that includes both Power User and Limited accounts) have a Red status requiring a "Fix", but of course it cannot be fixed because any attempt to turn on Intrusion Detection is greeted by the unhelpful "You need to be an administrator to perform this action".  I have already gone through an hour and a half of attempts by Tech Support to fix this issue, to no avail.

If any real solution becomes available, I would also like to be informed of it.  Like gps, I also attempted to fix the issue myself by temporarily making the other accounts administrators, only to find that Norton displays "Protected" while they are administrators, and once I remove them from the Administrators group, their Norton status reverts back to needing a "Fix".

Hoping for a quick resolution,

Bob Kreycik 

Kudos0

Thanks for all your answers. At least someone else has had this problem   

I have 360 v2 installed.   

When 360 says "your PC is not  protected from intrusion" does that really mean its off, even though the admin account says it's on? 

I kinda sounds like a registry problem, right?  Maybe I tried to update 360(in a limited account) or maybe 360 crashed and the registry never reset or something? 

But that might not fix it the problem, huh?  It's frustrating because everything seems to be fine just a little while ago.  Now this irratating problem pops up (for no apparent reason) and won't go away. 

Norton 360 v2 seems awfully fragile.

Kudos0

I started having the same issue on May 29th after a manual Live Update.  I still have the problem and wonder if anyone here has a solution.
Kudos0

I too have run into this issue of Norton 360 Intrusion Protection turning off for my limited account user.  Just like the rest of you, switching to my admin account results in Intrusion Protection being turned on.  This is frustrating.  I would be very interested in hearing about any solutions that are discovered.

Jerry

Kudos0

Same problem here as of about the end of May I started getting this problem, except for me, I can click the "Fix" button and it fixes it, but only until the next time I reboot my system and then the red X comes back again. This has not been a good month for Norton 360. First it was a bad virus definition that failed to apply, and now it is this problem. Do they even test their updates before they release them?
Kudos0

I too had the Intrusion Protection problem. The Symantec Automated Support suggested that I should reinstall. This I did and it cured the problem. Unfortunately it then left me with the 'failed update' problem mentioned in the other threads.

DJJ

Kudos0

Bumping up. Still hoping for a fix for this. Thanks.
Kudos0

Add me to the list, please.  Same stuff on 3 computers - one vista x64, and 2 win xp.  I run day-to-day stuff (games, browsers, etc) only as a limited user on all 3 comps.  Admin only comes out to play for patching or other actual admin stuff.

Kudos0

I would first recommend that you review the following Knowledge Base article on the subject:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton360.nsf/0/9a4075c7502c0f2765257235000deffd

As DerekJJ posted, this is the recommended course of action. Would also recommend contacting our Customer Support Team through the Help & Support section of Norton 360 v2. Please let me know how this works for you. Thanks!

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

That appears to have fixed it and even the Live-Update worked okay afterwards. Thanks.
Kudos0

I don't think it is fixed.

I uninstalled 360 and Liveupdate and reinstalled from the CD.

It was green for maybe a week. Now it's back to red.

I have version 2.3.0.9

Kudos0

I just used LiveUpdate and at first my version changed to 2.1.0.5 and intrusion protection seemed to work in non-admin.  I ran LiveUpdate again and my version changed to 2.3.0.9 and intrusion protection is not working in non-admin accounts again.
Kudos0

Well, like several others here, I grudgingly did the uninstall and reinstall recommended by the Knowledge Base article.  I was initially very relieved to discover that the issue with the non-Admin accounts appeared to be corrected.  I checked a day after making the change, and everything seemed fine in non-Admin accounts.

However, having read the results of others' more recent experience with the return of the issue, I checked another of our home accounts today.  To my chagrin, I discovered that the problem has returned for my other accounts as well.  My administrative account still appears to be working properly, but the non-Admin accounts for my other family members have returned to "At Risk" with Intrusion Prevention turned OFF.  I also currently have version 2.3.0.9.

Since I had previously already contacted the Customer Support team, and had spent over an hour and a half on the phone with them while they attempted in vain to correct this error, I am leary of devoting that much time to that process again, unless someone can give me greater assurance that they really know how to resolve this error now.

Furthermore, even if the problem is resolved again, I have much less confidence that it will remain that way, since the reinstall worked, but apparently only until some Update fouled it up again.  Suggestions?

Frustrated,

Bob Kreycik 

Kudos0

This is happening to me also, but, on my admin account as well. 

Whenever I reboot, I get intrusion prevention is off. It restarts ok but how boring is this?

Maybe this does not happen in the symantec labs, only in the real world :)

Kudos0

Okay, my problem came back today also after reporting above that the re-install steps seemed to have fixed it. Same as the person above, I only have an admin account, but intrusion prevention comes up off and I have to click the fix button to get it fixed. This is the last straw, I have had it with Symantec products. I am looking into what Mcaffee offers today. When you have to spend hours continually fixing a "set it and forget it" software application on 3 computers on a daily basis, it is time to move on. I wish reviewers would re-review this product after running into the mess of problems that a long-term user has to put up with (updates don't apply, Notification windows appear in the top left of the screen - half off the screen, and now this problem). Instead, they just look at whether the thing runs for a couple of days before giving a glowing review.
Kudos0

I have had the same issue, installed 360 Premier Edition 6 weeks ago with no problems (with XP home edition), I run 2 limited accounts, one for the children, and I thought after SP3 was installed the dreaded red X appeared after that but from the dates already mentioned in the threads it may have been a coincidence?

I have cleaned the registry as per the Norton instructions.

Talked to Tech Support last week and removed and reinstalled 360 twice now to no avail.

Run as administrator no problems.

Does anyone know if the intrusion protection is actually turned off or is it just an erroneous message?

Cheers

Kudos0

I just ran live update - and, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Now when I start-up vista as administrator, the intrusion protection remains ON!!! Not sure about limited user accounts, don't use those.

Woohoo, thanks Norton, your software is now working (for me)- pray it continues.

Kudos0

I have just run Live Update and although I received the Security Software update and rebooted there was no change. Intrusion protection still off and network connection 'At Risk'. On booting up the Norton icon in the system tray started green but then went red.

DJJ

Kudos0

Add me to the list of Norton 360 users frustrated by this limitation.  Same symptoms as others have reported.  "Green" for administrator account, "Red X" for limited user account.  Did the full reinstall as per suggestion on this thread, and the problem disappeared for a couple of days.  But then it reappeared and now it's back to the original buggy status (presumably after a LiveUpdate).

The only comment I can add is that if I log onto Administrator, and then leave the account logged on while also simultaneously logging into the limited user account, then sometimes the limited user Norton 360 status will stay green.  But I don't want to run my accounts this way....need a fix....Norton - please resolve!!!

Kudos0

Humanz --- 

<<  if I log onto Administrator, and then leave the account logged on while also simultaneously logging into the limited user account, >>

I wonder if it would be worth trying Fast User Switching instead of logging on and then off and see if it changed anything.

Hugh
Kudos0

Spoke too soon, the problem was fixed last time I rebooted.

But, this morning when I sat at the PC (which is always on), I had this error...

"symantec service framework has stopped working"

Rebooted, and, the intrusion protection switched off .

Nooooo!!!!

Norton you are wasting so much of my time. Why should I spend one hour reinstalling this software just to get it working? This is a new install of vista sp1 and I don't expect to be reinstalling newly installed software.

Kudos0

My question about FUS still stands ... although it may not be relevant.

I understand your frustration but in any computer there's more in play than just the apparent troublemaker -- you have VISTA SP1 -- and in troubleshooting reinstalling is often a nasty necessity.

Who would suggest that a file manager (PowerDesk) in use for years would cause crashes when Norton 360 V2 [as well as with other applications not by Norton]  is present? And yet that is what has happened to me and to others -- the fix came from PowerDesk, not from Norton or even from Microsoft!

I'm just thankful that I can tell them here that something has gone wrong and not be told "Reinstall Windows" <g> They listen, they come up with workarounds and then with fixes -- in some cases not as quickly as we or they would like but they are not sitting there blaming the user.

I hope for everyone's sake it is soon resolved.

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr,

I have used FUS for a number of years now, although I am still running on XP SP2, so I cannot speak for Vista users.  My Administrative profiles all display the Norton 360 Status as Green.  My other family members' profiles (both limited and Power  User), which I have switched to using FUS, all display the Norton Status as Red, and drilling down to the reason reveals "Intrusion Prevention" is Off.  Does that answer your question?

Regards, Bob Kreycik 

Kudos0

Yes indeed that answers the question.

Again just some thoughts.

I'm in XP at present, with SP3 applied, but even under SP2 which was there for a long time I never spotted a discrepency on the display between mine and my wife's but I only used N360 V1 briefly under XP on my desktop and although I have it on my laptop with XP Home I've only one user in practice but I think I set one for my wife "in case" and I'll try to check that tomorrow.

On VISTA the only reason I have a red flag with N360 is that I don't use it for backup and although I tried what I understood about setting to manual and then changing something else I probably did not do the latter -- might have been then to delete in Scheduling which apparently you cannot do if it's set to Automatic backup -- but I can't see why that should not affect all users.

I wonder if it could be due to N360 saying to itself well I'm in Administrator and so since he can change things he better know what's going on but when I'm in lower users who can't change the settings I won't bother (or more likely -- it's misinterpreting a signal)?

I've deliberately not ried to put that in techspeak <g>

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi I'm a new user.

Purchased N360 ver 2 with new Dell PC that has Vista installed.

Upgraded my broadband to wireless with my provider.

Upgraded my old XP PC to wireless system, wire connection first. Then upgraded to N360 ver 2 on the XP machine.

Moved old machine upstairs ready to go wireless. No problems so far.

Connected new mc via cable to my wireless router. Installed N360 ver 2.

All seemed OK. Downloaded upgrades then noticed next day that I had red Intrusion off message.

This message kept coming back on.

Contacted Symantec who took over my machine and made a few checks and alterations. All seemed OK then again got the warning message.

Symantec again remotely controlled my machine and totally uninstalled then reinstalled N360.

All seemed OK until I again downloaded upgrades with liveupdate.

Reinstalled twice myself with same problem starting after restarting mc.

Also have the red at risk message for my network.

Strangely the old computer upstairs is NOT having this problem.

I can appreciate how frustrating you are all finding this problem

Kudos0

I hope someone at Symantec tells us here when the fix is posted because so far it appears here that the intrusion protection issue is still unsolved.
Kudos0

<< I hope someone at Symantec tells us here when the fix is posted  >>

You can be certain they will!

Hugh
Kudos0

Three days ago I purchased Norton 360 Version 2.0 due to the fact I already had Norton 360 in my computer have used Norton products for years, but my subscription was expiring. So as I said I purchsed it in CD form, installed it and immediately BIG RED X  happened on my Limited Account users (my twin daughters) . So the first night they could not get on the internet at all which to 17 year old girls that was like death, meaning no MySpace, Facebook, or Messenger. So next day I came home from work and did a complete removal using the Norton Removal Tool and the a new install, but yet again big red X. Everytime we logged into Limited Accounts it would be a green check for first few seconds then turn to Red X. So that night I spent over 2 hours in chat with tech support who had me let him connect to my computer and change my registry, supposedly to allow security features for other users. It seemed to work, I went to work today and being summer the girls stayed online all day. When I got home I came into office to find that dreaded big Red X came back. So I tried to get tech support on chat, I was number 28 in line, NOT! I did another complete removal, this time I hit "NO" to install live update before installation and when it was done I logged onto girls account and no problems,rebooted computer, no problems, only problem is will it come back if I do a Live Update? And if I don't, how much risk is that to my computer? I've used Norton for 10 years and this is the only time I wished I had bought McAffee
Kudos0

This is really turning out to be "moral support" instead of "technical support" huh??

So let's recap for people just joining our discussion.

1) When you first install from the CD everything worked fine.

I had version 2.2.0.2 (check your version by going to "Help and Suppot" in the N360 upper ride corner, and then click "About Norton 360")

2) Then Live Update upgrades some components. Then I had version 2.3.0.9. Then the "Unpleasantness" began.

The "not protected from intrusion attempts" red X started. It was like that for a while. Now, when I try to turn off the compter I get message about "shutdown error"

I read this article about using regedit to change settings, for the shutdown problem, but I hesitate because I worry if "temporary solutions" might make things more complicated in the long run. 

Things seem to be getting worse not better. To all the people have these problems, I feel your pain!

[edit: changed long link to hyperlink to workaround forum left/right scrolling issue.]

Message Edited by Allen_K on 06-22-2008 12:54 AMMessage Edited by gps on 06-22-2008 10:34 AM
Kudos0

Well, the "moral" support has kept me from switching over to McAffee for the moment. I figure with all of these people having a similar problem Norton has to be investigating it..... right??? (lets put it this way, I am giving them a couple of extra weeks to sort this out before I bail).
Kudos0

I have the same problem with Windows XP professional SP2  using a limited user account for more safety.

Logged into administration it shows always green icon.  Logged in as limited user it is first green and soon gets red and suggests

to solve security problems. Starting security solution only shows a message that that step requires administration privileges.

(why doesn't it ask for admin login here so that it can continue successfully).

After a Norton 360 backup error I had to go back to a stored Windows recovery state, since first it did not lifeupdate anymore and then it did not know my Norton activation anymore and then it blocked me from doing anything. Recovery let me reactivate again so that live update works now, except the intrusion protection problem.

I saw that many other users wrote about same problem so it is not a certain user problem.

Reinstallation does not seem to be a working alternative (problem seem to reoccur again after this workaround),

so Norton should not ignore this problem and inform users here about further steps.

I already regret having chosen Norton 360 v2, I didn't expect these problems.

Gunter

Kudos0

Writting from Spain ...

I just have the same problem. The N360v2 Premium ed. runs properly on Administrators users acounts, but don't runs ok on limited users account.

I try too, configure N360v2 from limited used account ussing "execute as .."  S.O. command running Norton with administrator user level, but N360v2 no works properly with "Exectute as.." command. This is the technique that I used in my older Norton Internet Security suite and that runs properly in NIS, but not in N360.

I connect via Chat with Norton Spanish Support, and they said me:

- Norton products are NOT compatible with multiuser account computer SO installation.

- For Solve the problem must to navigate on Internet with Adminitrator privileges, in other case Norton360 can not protect you.

I'm Norton user from Norton Commander Tools over DOS systems, And sorry don't velieve this ... Just I'm thinking on return my nortons products, n360 is on time yet ... and now I'm investigating over other software solution out Norton & Symantec ... The problem is that I install Norton 360 on my customers computers and now I have addition problem to explain a remove this others systems ...

In my oppinion:

- Its very stupid an Security Software that forces you run on Adminitrator level.

- Indeed NIS runs on limited users. Why not N360

- We need a norton eMail support, not only the in some case stupid chat. (If we are out working, how we can contact with de Tech support on the requiered attention time? it's imposible in most cases.

I'm writting from Spain, we have no Forums in spanish from Norton, and really be a aventure findt this !!!

NORTON STAFF please signs of life !!!

Kudos0

I think this is the appropriate thread. 

Unfortunately I also have this problem. I am running XP SP3 (Though I had the problem under SP2 too) and Norton 360 v2 2.3.0.9

The limited accounts always have the red x with "Your PC is not protected from intrusion attempts". The administrator account does not have the issue.  I prefer day-to-day computer use in a limited account (just for added protection) but this is quite annoying....

I tried the re-installation fix but the problem was back after next live update.

Kudos0

Yep, don't expect much support from Norton as they are very quiet. They have one week left before I switch to Mcafee.
Kudos0

Whatever happened in the 2.3.0.9 update really ruined things.

I still have a problem with the background check running even when the computer isn't in "idle".

Must be a really serious flaw with 360, if they won't even talk about it, huh?

Kudos0

I've just asked a couple people from the 360 team to a look at this issue.  We all try to get on the this forum as we can so our ability to read through some of the issues and respond is more likely due to our schedules more than anything. 

I ran into a similar issue on a friend's PC this past weekend when I used her "guest" login.  Her admin profile that she normally uses was green, but her guest profile was red due to Intrusion Protection being off. 

This is an odd one. 

Kudos1 Stats

I am glad that a Symantec employee here has seen the intrusion protection problem.  I just hope the 360 team can fix this problem because it has been about a month with this issue on 2.3.0.9.  In the beginning, I tried Support and ended up restoring the computer from an ASR.  My confidence is pretty low with Symantec and I have been a user for years. 

Kudos0

'Odd' is not the word for this problem.... a better term would be 'feature'. In fact, this feature should be included in the Norton user manual.

This problem occurs with me on my administrator account too (and several other people from what I have read).

Kudos0

I am using Norton 360 version 2.3 on two of my PCs and are having the same problem.  I currently have 4 PCs and two are running McAfee (free from my broadband provider).  When I installed Windows SP3 four weeks back, I had problems with the PCs that are running 360, but the McAfee ones worked perfectly fine.  I decided to reinstall everything on the 360 machines and the problems were fixed.  This is after taking the whole day applying updates for Windows and 360.  After couple of days, i've notice the "Intrusion Prevention" off problem with limited accounts.  I chatted with a symantec customer service for an hour or so to try to fix the problem, but was not successful.  I've been using Symantec products now for the last 10 years, and always been a devoted user since i've always found their products worth it.  But now, I'm thinking otherwise.  I am beginning to get frustrated with Norton 360.  I will give it a week or so for Symantec to come out with a fix.  If no fix is out, then I will install McAfee on all my PCs.  We are also having the same issue at the office.  I think, I will also recommend it to my manager to use McAfee since I'm spending so much time at work trying to fix those PCs as well.

Kudos1 Stats

Two weeks is now up. Similar to the above poster I am swtiching to McAfee. I can get it free from Fry's this weekend (with rebate) for the Total Protection version which covers 3 PCs. I have been a Symantic / Norton customer for about 10 years, but the lack of any competence in solving this problem (or urgency) has truly pissed me off. Having their customers blindly reinstall... reinstall.... reinstall their product to temporarily solve a fix is not the way to show you know what you are doing as a SW developer.
Kudos0

Same issue here.  N360 seems to be buggy.  I purchased the upgrade on Wednesday and I have chatted with tech support twice.  If N360 continues to be buggy, I will have to consider another application when my subscription is up.
Kudos0

From 2.3.0.9 to 2.3.1.4, Norton 360 still shows "your pc is not protected from intrusion attempts" upon restart from a HP running Vista Home Premium 32bit, an older Dell running Vista Ultimate 32bit and a Dell notebook upon which I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled XP Professional and the only other program installed was Norton 360. All machines restart into an administrator-level account automatically. Even after clicking "Fix" to change the red tick to green in the system tray, "My PC" still shows "at risk" in the Network Map. Looks like this is a tough issue to pinpoint.

Kudos0

Hi. looks like I am an unwittiting member of your club.

I get the problems described on the limited user accounts on both my XP computers. My problem has been compounded by having to deal with Symantec outsourced support. Spent a total of 6 hours of live chat and remote control plus about a dozen emails and been given all sorts of different explanations. They even tried to blame a virus.

The latest from them is that I need to wait for a patch!!!!  (must have read this thread). They did add that I can ignore the message about protection being off  - it is in fact on. Yeah right.

This thread is now six weeks old. If Symantec can't sort out bugs in their own sloppy code in that timescale, what chance is there of an effective response against a sinister outside threat? I will give it just one more week.

I paid for two year subscription. Wish I could have stayed with version 1.

Kudos0

It appears that an update over the last couple of days has corrected the "your pc ... intrusion protection" error with the system tray icon showing the red tick. However, "My Network" still shows my PC as being "at risk".

Can anyone confirm if a patch has been created that would have resolved this one issue? Any update on the "At Risk" issue?

Thanks.

Kudos0

The Intrusion Protection error hasn't been fixed on my system. It sometimes appears so if I have updated a driver or had a Windows Update which needed a reboot. Everything returns to 'normal' after the next new switch-on.
Kudos0

Not fixed on my machine either. I must say, symantec are abysmal at fixing such a wide spread problem.

I compare the symantec efforts, with an experience last year with logitech support.  I logged a problem on the logitech forums. A logitech engineer phoned me (international call) and emailed me diagnostic tools to run on my PC.  He analyzed the diagnostic logs, found the problem, sent me a patch (which fixed the problem), which was included in the next version of the camera driver.

Thumbs up to Logitech.  Symantec , you need to up your game. At least, better feedback would be appreciated. Modern day operating systems are complex though, and there is virtually an infinite number of configurations out there so I am a bit understanding.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.