• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Account-Sign-in error

There is a strange problem i am facing is that, i am no longer able to log in to my account either by going into Norton interface main window or either the identity safe vault. It is giving me an error of "Fail to sign". I have done fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro Latest Updated and Norton IS 2014 latest updated.

Genuine Windows 8.1 x64 Pro; NIS 2014; HP Pavallion G6 Notebook with AMD Core 2 Quad A10; 6 GB RAM; ; 1TB Western Digital HDD, AMD Radeon 2.5 GB Graphics Card

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Account-Sign-in error

Tony,

Note the last post from another person with the same problem (not able to sign into Norton Account and Identity Safe). I'm running Windows 7, SP1, but keep my Windows OS updated via Windows Updates faithfully. Do you think that perhaps Norton software is having some type of conflict with a recent Windows patch that can be causing this problem (which is still ongoing for me, by the way)?

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

The problem has solved, what i did is, clean install my Windows 8.1 and then Norton 21.2 version... now everything is fine and smooth.. No Issues now..!! Thanxx Symantec..

Genuine Windows 8.1 x64 Pro; NIS 2014; HP Pavallion G6 Notebook with AMD Core 2 Quad A10; 6 GB RAM; ; 1TB Western Digital HDD, AMD Radeon 2.5 GB Graphics Card
Kudos1 Stats

I'm not running Windows 8. I'm running Windows 7 SP1. Are you saying that I need to reinstall my OS and then also reinstall Norton IS??? You've got to be kidding! I'm willing to reinstall Norton, of course, if I have to do so (although the Norton tech tried that two weeks ago to no avail). But, I'm not about to reinstall my OS! I'll get new antivirus software first.

Kudos0

To be certain, I just ran a system check on my Windows 7 SP1 installation; no system integrity violations were found. So, why should I reinstall my OS, if that's what you're recommending? I think this problem is Norton's and Norton's alone. Unfortunately, no fix for it from Norton yet, and it's been almost 2 weeks now.

Kudos0

@ pvmikey,

This issue is certainly not Windows related.

Reinstalling the OS wouldn't stop this erratic behavior, I don't know why it was even suggested.

Regards,

Kudos0

FWIW, silverhawk is the original poster and what they stated apparently fixed thier situaion.  As the OP they have the right to mark their situation as solved.  If others do not agree that is fine - however, had others started a separate thread, then then could determine if their situation was fixed or not and if not, then their thread would remain open for more assistance.

Since this thread is marked solved by the OP and regardless of what I or others may think about a system reinstall to correct their situation, if they say it is solved - so be it. 

Of course y'all can continue to post on it - but some folks will skip over it as it is marked solved.

Kudos0

Well then, I'm done with Norton! But, I want them to know they are losing a customer who has been loyal to them since the days of Peter Norton. I'm convinced this is a Norton problem. If they don't want to fix it, that's OK with me... I'll get Kapersky and Lastpass.

Kudos0

pvmikey wrote:

Well then, I'm done with Norton! But, I want them to know they are losing a customer who has been loyal to them since the days of Peter Norton. I'm convinced this is a Norton problem. If they don't want to fix it, that's OK with me... I'll get Kapersky and Lastpass.

Who is your post intended for? 

Who said Norton did not want to fix it?

This thread is marked as solved by the orginal poster - which has nothing to do with Norton, nor perhaps any other user being convinced the solution is a fix for everyone.

As has occurred  may times before, start a new thread if you still have a problem you need solved.

Kudos0

pvmikey

<< I think this problem is Norton's and Norton's alone. Unfortunately, no fix for it from Norton yet, and it's been almost 2 weeks now. >>

What we gurus do know is that Norton is working on the problem of signing into our Norton Accounts because some of us are experiencing it (under Windows 7).

2 weeks seems like a long time but it isn't when something is happening on other people's computers and not on the troubleshooters.

<< I just ran a system check on my Windows 7 SP1 installation; no system integrity violations were found. So, why should I reinstall my OS, if that's what you're recommending?   >>

It does not take a system integrity compromise to break something -- I was doing support here when my Windows started crashing after Norton 360 went from V2 to V3 and stopped crashing when N 360 was uninstalled ..... but eventually it was shown that it was the combination of those two with a third faulty application that caused the problem, not Norton.

Nobody has suggested that you reinstall your Windows 7 and so far as I know my Norton Internet Security is still protecting me even when I could not get into my Norton Account -- but if you want to change that's up to you. We've had a few people who have come back and others who have used other support Forums than here and not been impressed.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Hugh,

I understand your points, and I apologize for not being in my best humour. I don't know if you've read all of my posts on this subject or not, but a Norton tech representative took remote control of my computer a couple of weeks ago, for 3 hours, tried everything she could think of and still could not correct the problem. I demonstrated to her that I could sign into my Norton Account via Norton's web page, but not via the Norton IS panel opened from my system tray. Even though she was unable to correct the error, she said that she would write it up for Norton to look at. Maybe she did... maybe she didn't... I haven't heard anything more from her. Tony jumped in on this post (and I do appreciate that) and has said that the problem is with the Norton databases communicating with one another. I don't know where that stands, either. What I do know is that I cannot use Identity Safe in the manner in which I'm supposed to be able to use it... only via the web, and there as you know it will not autofill form fields. I know that Norton Internet Security is still protecting my computer, and I am able to run Liveupdate with no problem. I recently paid for and renewed my Norton product for another year and so have 325 days remaining on my subscription, even though I'm unable to use all of the Internet Security suite (namely, Identity Safe). So, maybe you can now understand my frustration.

Kudos0

No problem .... computers are more frustrating than ..... wives children ...

What you say about the Norton Support not being able to access is, I suppose, consistent with the problem not being on our computers. I don't use Identity Safe myself so I don't see the other consequences and I can understand your frustration.

From our experience, if Tony (or other "redcoats") says they are working on it then they are; they may not always rush back and spend time confirming that they are still working on it but they don't just say "it doesn't really matter" and forget about it!

When it is all resolved you could try your luck at talking gently with the OnLine Support team and see if they will add a few days to your subscription ..... <g>

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks Hugh. Since I've got 324 days left on my Norton Internet Security subscription and it seems to be working OK, with Liveupdates still viable, I'm continuing to use it for the time being as my antivirus program. I'm now using Lastpass as my password manager and so far I like it OK and it seems to work. If Norton gets its (you know what) together and fixes this Norton Account sign-in issue, then I may go back to Identity Safe  - I don't know. For the time being, I"m going to "lie low" and see how long it takes them to fix it.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update.

It's too important for Norton not to fix but while I can understand the benefits of the automatic filling in of log in data I don't use such sites frequently enough each day to need it automated.

Most of my sites, like banks and credit cards are prepared to remember my ID and leave me to fill in the password -- two part setup with the bank anyway. So I'm happy to let NIS do its traditional protection.

I see that IE 11 has an optional feature to remember ID and password but I have that off except for our community library site where my ID is the same as my barcode and about a dozen digits so really not memorable and I'm not that bothered if someone breaks into that account and scans my reading history .... they warn us the FBI have the right of access to it before we commit to the system keeping a record of what we borrow!

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello. I was able to install Vault and was logged in and it was saving my passwords. Then when I rebooted it said password invalid. I deleted and reinstalled the same password and it worked. When I rebooted, I got the same error again. This happened in IE and Firefox!

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Tony_Weiss wrote:

For others on this thread, are you still experiencing it? I've heard mixed reports, and I want to figure out the reality of the situation.

Still not working for me.

Actually it did work the first time I tried signing in after switching on the computer this morning.  I checked it again several times since, and it isn't working anymore: the circular progress indicator keeps going round as per the image in my previous post .

Opposite case for me now:

As of about 1 hour ago (when I switched on my computer) I can sign in from NIS 21.2  GUI but I cannoty sign out, the circular progress indicator keeps going round like it did when I couldn't sign in, as per the image in my previous post linked to above.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Opposite case for me now:

As of about 1 hour ago (when I switched on my computer) I can sign in from NIS 21.2  GUI but I cannot sign out, the circular progress indicator keeps going round like it did when I couldn't sign in, as per the image in my previous post linked to above.

Now I can also sign out from NIS GUI, so problem solved for me.

Thanks for fixing it. 

Kudos0

FWIW, The ability to sign out from the UI comes and goes for me. Sometimes it works, other times it does not work.

I just tried it now and it is not working - so I'd suggest Rainbow_2 try it occasionally to see if that behavior changes - as it does for me @ random intervals.
Kudos0

" The ability to sign out from the UI comes and goes for me"

Maybe a server(s) maintenance/update required in order for the issue to be resolved??

A new CEO perhaps??

C'mon Symantec wake up!~

Regards,

Kudos0

HI,

I just wanted to add me to the list of those who are experiencing this issue.

Regards,

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Tony: I'm still experiencing exactly the same problems in trying to sign into my Norton Account. If I try to sign in via the Norton panel opened from icon in the taskbar tray right after booting up, I get the message "Failed to Login". If I try again later in my session, I get the never-ending loop and message "loggin in", but it never happens. If I try to open Identity Safe in my browsers, when I first open Identity Safe via the Norton taskbar and am prompted to first sign into my Norton Account, I get the message "loggin in" and once again the never-ending loop (until I manually stop it), and I'm never logged in to my account. This behavior is consistent and now going on for three weeks. Obviously it's not going to fix itself, and obviously it's a problem at the Norton end, as the Norton tech who worked on my computer for three hours three weeks ago could find nothing wrong at my end. Does anyone at Norton yet have a clue? I think we've been more than patient, considering that we all have paid our money for this ****.

Kudos0

" Does anyone at Norton yet have a clue? '

Hi,

Is that enough??  Maybe one of the causes??

http://community.norton.com/t5/Tech-Outpost/Massive-Security-Bug-In-OpenSSL/m-p/1119314#M9873

Regards,

Kudos0

yank wrote:
FWIW, The ability to sign out from the UI comes and goes for me. Sometimes it works, other times it does not work.

I just tried it now and it is not working - so I'd suggest Rainbow_2 try it occasionally to see if that behavior changes - as it does for me @ random intervals.

Now it isn't working anymore, Yank!

I had checked it many times before posting previously, and after reading your post I checked it again several times, and it was always working untill I had to turn off my computer a few hours ago.

I turned it on again about an hour ago, tried signing in several times, always unsuccessfully!

So back to square one, with the circular progress indicator again keeping going round without completing the access.

Kudos0

There may be a clue here to Norton, if any of you are still reading this topic. As mentioned before, if I try to sign into my Norton Account immediately after booting, I get the big, red "X" and message "Failed to Login". But, if trying again later on in the same computer session, after I've been working for awhile, I get the "loading" icon like the others posting above, which goes on endlessly until I manually end it.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update, pvmikey. This is an issue we're still working on, and every bit of information helps.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

For at least three days I was no longer having this issue and I thought it was solved, but today the problem reappeared again.

They were probably my 3 lucky days 

Sandro
Kudos0

I'm still having the same problem. Cannot sign into my Norton Account via the Norton icon in the taskbar tray; therefore, can't use Norton ID Safe currently. I've now given up on this. Norton has not corrected the problem that's now been going on for weeks. Guess they don't care about their customers. Won't be renewing Internet Security after my current subscription expires. (Just sorry i only recently renewed it.) For a password manage, I'm now using LastPass, which is working flawlessly.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.