• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Okay to Uninstall Norton Identity Safe?

I have NIS 21 running successfully on Windows 8.1.1 x64.

With all due respect to Symantec developers, is it 'safe' to uninstall Norton Identity Safe from NIS, i.e., will removing Norton Identity Safe harm the rest of NIS? Norton Identity Safe has its own listing in Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Okay to Uninstall Norton Identity Safe?

Hello

Maybe Windows 8.1 is different than Windows 7 in that respect, but it doesn't have it listed separately in my Programs and Features. If you don't want to use it, you can turn it off.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I went ahead and uninstalled Norton Identity Safe from Control Panel > Programs and Features. The first thing you see is this window:

It's not immediately apparent, but the words "Uninstall Norton Identity Safe" are click-able. Clicking on them brings you to this window:

Then you simply re-start your computer and the deed is done. NIS appears to be working perfectly.

Kudos to Symantec developers for making it possible to uninstall bundled features.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Bulldoggy:

I use NIS 20.x on a 32-bit Vista computer, but like floplot, my Norton Identity Safe is fully integrated with NIS and there is no separate listing at Control Panel | Programs and Features to uninstall Identity Safe.  I can only disable this feature from my main NIS GUI or at Settings | Web | Identity Safe.

This is just a guess, but I noticed you've posted in the Norton Family (NF) board.  Are you certain that NF or some other Norton product didn't install the standalone version of Identity Safe on your system?  I believe this standalone version is recommended for NAV users and the Personal Information Protection feature of NF described here sounds similar to Identity Safe.

-----------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 29.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

To the best of my knowledge, Norton Identity Safe is not part of Norton Family, nor have I seen it advertised as being part of Norton Family. In any case, if you are following me in that forum you know that I uninstalled Norton Family long ago.

Even if you do not see a separate listing for Norton Identity Safe in Control Panel, I did. That's what I clicked on to begin the uninstallation.

I do not know to what extent Norton Identity Safe has been uninstalled. I'm sure Symantec makes it easy to reinstall the product, should users change their minds.

Kudos0

Hi,
May be you installed a standalone version offline Norton Identity Safe before NIS. (I too am using NIS on Win7 and didn't see any separate entry in all programs. )
You can always access your online vault and account details online from cloud.
Hope it adds some info.......
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos1 Stats

It is also possible that if you uninstalled your Norton Product, a stand alone version of Identity Safe was installed. I believe that is an option when you remove NIS, and it is possible you missed that prompt. 

This would explain why you had an entry in control panel programs.

You should check the image Imacri gave to see if you still have the Identity Safe option available in settings of your NIS. My guess is you will see it there and be able to enable it.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

I agree with peterweb - any norton uinstall will offer you the use of ID Safe standalone.  Way back when I uninstalled, and reinstalled my NIS, I missed the option to NOT keep the ID safe and I also had ID Safe entry in Programs and Features.  That was caused by the "keepiong of I D Safe after uninstall.

FWIW, with NIS or N 360 installed, you can not install ID Safe Standalone - the installed Norton program will not permit it.

Kudos0

You couldn't possibly have seen that in Control Panel ... you must have actually done this ... or that ...

Kudos0

yank wrote:

FWIW, with NIS or N 360 installed, you can not install ID Safe Standalone - the installed Norton program will not permit it.

The image that I posted is what you will see if you attempt to install the Stand Alone version while wither N 360 or NIS is installed.

Of course I did not see that image in Control Panel, let me try to make it clearer, I uninstalled N 360, misklakely elected to keep the ID safe stand alone (which installed since N 360 had been uninstalled) and I got the Stand Alone entry in Programs and Features.  when I reinstalled N 360, there was no complaint about the Stand Alone being installed - thus I had both listed in Progerams and Features after I reinstalled.  Hope that's clearer.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.