• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

msconfig/services stopped; cannot login normally; how to remove Win7 (debugger enabled); etc.

I know I somehow performed a "snafoo" when I dabbled with msconfig/services: (1) I am unable login/boot-up Windows; (2) msconfig/services/Microsoft entries and other are all stopped; (3) again, somehow sys/Windows 7 (debugger enabled); and (4) due to the forgoing composite, Norton Internet Security may not be enabled, as I can only access my PC w/Safe Mode Networking (very limited functions). Please advise if I should list separately or if  all issues can be construed as one entity. thanks!

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: msconfig/services stopped; cannot login normally; how to remove Win7 (debugger enabled); etc.

Hi,

Sounds like you need to get out the installation disk and do a startup repair. I think that will get you back to a point where you can adjust the configuration to suit your needs.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: msconfig/services stopped; cannot login normally; how to remove Win7 (debugger enabled); etc.

dickevans wrote:

Hi,

Sounds like you need to get out the installation disk and do a start-up repair. I think that will get you back to a point where you can adjust the configuration to suit your needs.

Keep us posted

Hi,

Good idea, however, a few months ago subscribed to a visit by a supposedly top-notch technician at home to get me into my suddenly frozen Win XP startup, but after a short time left his accompanying hardware man to do it the job because he was allergic  to pets. At the time I had no inkling the guy knew next to nothing other than hardware, and man subsequently deleted everything on my computer (enormous volume, irreplaceable pics, text, templates, docs), and worse, I literally found the CD/drive lying behind the tower! Considering the circumstances of the visit, why that idiot would be compelled to pull that drive remains an unresolved mystery, because "super-tech" (hereinafter referred to as "The Guy"), who I hired, has never seen fit to address the overall fiasco.

At that time, because "The Guy" detonated my PC with his "expert" handling, the tech who had the software/hardware, et al. experience returned and loaded Window 7 Ultimate; therefore, I don't have the disk. "The Guy" continues to contact me via email requesting I join his business linkedin circle. What amazing gall.

I will say that I believe I did cause the problem posted by trying to remove one entry; consequently, thereafter I noted no problem other than the herculean problem earlier related! LOL.  If you can provide add'l specific info, w/be appreciated.

Incidentally, in Safe Mode Networking, having run various repairs therein, one option is to do a system restore. In XP in would now and then add a current date. In Win7 I'm not certain how to proceed as I've not added restore dates. Would the Win7 restore have auto-restore dates? I searched Help but couldn't find comprehensive links for same.

Thanks again!

Kudos1 Stats

Here is a list hat shows the default service settings for the different versions of Windows 7.

(If you don't want to ty system restore)

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-configurations/

Dave

Kudos0

Hi Dick,
Question remains open as to my query regarding Win7 restore...before I click to do so, how can I (1) tell how far back the restore date will be; and (2) as in XP where I manually set backup dates for restore at msconfig/restore, I cannot find a similar location searching w/in Win7...if possible, can you remind me of navigation to location?
Kudos1 Stats

Hi, TFC39. Click on the Action Center icon in your system tray and Select Backup and Restore then Recover system settings or your computer.  Then click on the System Restore tab. This will give you dates from which to restore.

However, System Restore can mess up Norton, so you need to disable Tamper Protection via Settings/General/Product Security.

This is a last resort measure, for the reasons stated.

If Norton becomes corrupted, then you will need to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hi F4, your directions for restore are appreciated. Imacri also warned concerning system restore vs. Norton tamper protection. The potential curative begets further complications, i.e., thereafter, enabling the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. Hopefully, the entire process will be relatively painless.
Best Regards
Kudos1 Stats

Hi, TFC39. Here's the link to the NRRT if needed. It's pretty quick and painless.  Read the Before you begin note, and be sure to run Live Update after, until no more are found.

http://www.norton.com/nrnr

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

F4E, blessings be upon those with knowledge! Will proceed (with a bit of trepidation) tomorrow and will advise results (assuming my PC is still functioning! Ha!) TFC39
Kudos0

Hi! I haven't enabled System Restore at this time, but I do realize that it is the only alternative and with some concern about finding an appropriate restore date, will proceed accordingly. My appreciation to all who have reached out to help. Thanks!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.